Bernie Williams and CF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bernie Williams and CF

Where does Bernie Williams rank in Yankee CFers and how would you rank him as an All-Time Greatest Yankee?
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Bernie is a solid third among the all-time Yankee CFers, but miles behind Mickey Mantle and Joe DiMaggio. After Bernie is probably Earle Combs, though Bobby Murcer has a good argument as well. Others worth mention would be Ben Chapman and Mickey Rivers. Both had some good years playing CF for the Yanks, but spent more time with other organizations.

It's tough to say where on the all-time Yankee list Bernie falls. He's behind at least Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Berra, Dickey, Ford, and Rivera/

Comment

The only people I could think of offhand, other than the obvious of DiMaggio and Mantle, then Combs, would be Mickey Rivers. I'm not sure who ranks higher. I'm asking around.
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Probably 3rd best CF and in the top ten of posiiton players.
        Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X