Yankees 18/19 off season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yankees 18/19 off season

What will the Yankees do? Sign one of Harper/machado? Trade for an SP?

there have been rumors they might trade for Paxton or kluber. Could they do it without giving up one of Torres or andujar?
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

From The Winter Meetings today here's a story today in mlb.com where Brian Cashman seems to try to be convincing people of how great negotiator he is, even going back decades sighting examples. He said that in the Fall of 2008, the Red Sox were very close to signing free agent, Mark Teixiera to an enormous contract until Cashman took
    'TEX' and his agent to dinner. The rest is history in Cashman's mind with Teixiera being a Yankee for the next 8 seasons including their last World Series winner.
    I call BS on that story. The Yankees were Teixiera's favorite team from childhood on. It took little convincing at all to get 'TEX' to sign with the Yankees, and he probably would still have signed with the Yankees even if the Yankees didn't eventually make the highest offer. TEX was from Baltimore but didn't even consider an offer from his hometown Orioles. In fact, he always got booed unmercifully at games the Yankees played in Baltimore afterwards.
    Cashman is going to the Hall Of Fame someday based on his record over the past 20 years. I don't see why he needs to brag or exaggerate his importance.

Comment

Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
      From The Winter Meetings today here's a story today in mlb.com where Brian Cashman seems to try to be convincing people of how great negotiator he is, even going back decades sighting examples. He said that in the Fall of 2008, the Red Sox were very close to signing free agent, Mark Teixiera to an enormous contract until Cashman took
      'TEX' and his agent to dinner. The rest is history in Cashman's mind with Teixiera being a Yankee for the next 8 seasons including their last World Series winner.
      I call BS on that story. The Yankees were Teixiera's favorite team from childhood on. It took little convincing at all to get 'TEX' to sign with the Yankees, and he probably would still have signed with the Yankees even if the Yankees didn't eventually make the highest offer. TEX was from Baltimore but didn't even consider an offer from his hometown Orioles. In fact, he always got booed unmercifully at games the Yankees played in Baltimore afterwards.
      Cashman is going to the Hall Of Fame someday based on his record over the past 20 years. I don't see why he needs to brag or exaggerate his importance.
      I think despite the good last years there is a lot of tension among NY fans due to the red Sox success in the last years.
      I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

The Yankees might go Oh for the Decade (No A.L. titles and no World Series Titles, for the 2010-2019 decade) and of course their fans are anxious. They are in a negative position they haven't been in for a while..

Comment

I'll admit I'm kinda annoyed by this off-season. I'm not your "SIGN EVERY ALL-STAR FA" now kinda Yankee fan, I'm a Home Grown Homer but I did expect them to sign Corbin for 5 years, and if he wanted more years I'm sure money would have helped alleviate that "pain".

I also thought that by now Cashman would have signed either Manny or come out of nowhere and surprise everyone by signing Harper to play LF.
          The Yankees have pretty much been "keeping pace" with the Red Sox, but IMO have been slightly behind them for several years now...this FA Class could have finally put the Yankees on top for years to come.

Now I get that Cashman is playing the long game, and he knows that eventually the day will come where he has to pay Severino and Judge, possibly Sanchez and Didi as well so there's some reluctance to shell out for Manny or Harper, but IMO that's a bridge he should worry about crossing much later otherwise it's going to be an almost yearly battle to make it out of the Wildcard round.
          "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

Mid January and still no Manny... Tulo and LeMahieu on board though. The infield is looking a bit crowded and will be worse when/if Didi returns. Right now I would assume its 3B-Andujar, 2B-Torres, SS-Tulo, 1B-Voit, C-Sanchez, RF-Judge, LF-Gardner, CF-Hicks, DH-Stanton, Reserves (Romine, Bird, LeMahieu, Frazier) SP1-Severino, SP2-Saxon, SP3-Tanaka, SP4-Happ, SP5-Sabathia, CL-Chapman, SU-Betances, SU-Britton, RP-Green, RP-Holder, RP-Tarpley, RP-Gray.....

Not really sure what happens to gray, but am guessing he'll be traded Kind of looks like Reds are main player but cant imagine the Yanks will get much more than a minor league pitcher with a bit of upside, dont really think that Bubba Trammell will be in play as its been reported thats what yanks have asked for.

Would still love to see a nice little trade go down.... Frazier, German and Gray to Indians for Kluber or Bauer would work for me... There should be plenty of starts for 6 pitchers tanaka and sabathia are bound for a bit of DL time and Tanaka works better with extra rest anyhow.

Comment

I don't understand all this love for Machado. Do the Yankees really need another RH power bat? Is the upgrade at the plate over a young, homegrown Andujar really worth the $30 million/year he is going to get - especially given the length of the contract? Frankly, if people thought Stanton was worth the salary he is making, nobody would be worried about getting another right handed bat like Machado. They shouldn't go after Machado (or Harper, for that matter) just because they can. They have enough RH power right now between Stanton, Judge, Sanchez, Andujar, and hopefully Voit (and Torres and Hicks).
              Another RH bat (which is likely only an incremental improvement over Andujar) isn't going to change anything in the AL East power dynamic. If anything, the Yankees need LH power, even more so now that Didi is on the DL. I would have liked to see them go after a lefty first baseman.

The difference between the Yankees and the Red Sox is pitching - and that's 1 through 5 in the rotation. I would have really liked to see them get a legitimate #1, lock down starter. IMHO, if the Yankees were worried about closing the gap with the Red Sox, there's one move which would have made more of a difference than getting Machado: they could have signed Eovaldi. That would have accomplished three things: bolstered the Yankee rotation; hurt the Red Sox, and ensured the Yankees don't have to face him five times next year, since they apparently can't hit him. Of course, all this assumes he's the same pitcher he was the second half of last season.

One more thought about signing Machado: sometime in the not too distant future, Judge will become a free agent. I would hate to see the Yankees not sign him because they're already anchored to two long-term contracts with Stanton and Machado.
              Last edited by SD Bomber Fan; 01-19-2019, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X