The Curse...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Curse...

Most all of us bought into Boston's "Curse of the Bambino" and Chicago's "Curse of the Billy Goat"...now Yankee fans have to buy into the "Curse of the Steinbrenners / NYC." With the loss in Game 6 of the 2019 ALCS last night in Houston, the Yankees have made history. For the first time since the pre-Ruth years, the team has gone a decade without a World Series appearance (the 2010s). Yeah, I know, the team went twelve years without a Pennant (1964-1976) and without a World Championship for fifteen years (1962-1977), but they were in the Series five times in the 1960's and three times in the 1970's. When the greatest players and the most successful franchise in sport's history find a home, it's not wise to kick'em out of it (renovating their home between 1973 and 1976 was bad enough). But...that's exactly what the New York Yankees (George Steinbrenner) and the City of New York did. And again, I know the first year in the new Stadium resulted in a World Championship; but the original / renovated Stadium was across the street, still standing and intact. It was in May of 2010 that the demolition of the"House That Ruth Built" was completed...and what's happened since then? All the money, and all the acquisitions, and all the maneuvering have resulted in a decade of failures. There were a lot of fans, and scholars, and historians begging the Yankee brass and City officials to save the Stadium (or at least, some of it)...and they did...a huge bat and two sections of frieze (dating back to the Renovation...nothing that Babe, Lou, Joe, and Mickey could relate to). And Heritage Park, a vandalized and inadequate tribute to the great Yankee traditions and legacy; just an embarrassment and nothing like the outfield wall preserved at the site of Forbes Field in Pittsburgh or the restoration / preservation of League Park in Cleveland. Get used to it my fellow fans, the Yankees are cursed; and oh yeah, one more thing, if you want to see a statue of Babe Ruth, go to Oriole Park in Baltimore. If you want to see a statue of George Steinbrenner, go through Gate 6 at Yankee Stadium.
    Last edited by Chris M. T. Jones; 10-20-2019, 10:55 AM.

I'd feel like the Yankees lost the ALCS not because they're cursed, but because they really did suck throughout this decade. The 2010s have not been good with the team, especially since Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera retried. Although clearly they retired because they had enough experience after being in the major leagues since the mid 1990s. They still have decent players, but frankly I believe that there still may be hope in the 2020s if they probably get a better manager or something like that. The history of the New York Yankees would still be that team whom bought Babe Ruth from Henry Frazee's Red Sox in 1919 and became the Team of the 1920s-2000s with winning 27 World Series titles, 40 American League pennants, and several AL East Division titles. Many great players came out of it, but frankly that doesn't necessarily make this team good enough for this decade alone.

After being in the major leagues for so long, it's no wonder why other teams want to win a World Series championship after being left out of the playoffs for half a century now. Where as 20 of those World Series titles that the Yankees won were clinched over half a century ago. 7 of which were mainly clinched between 1977-2009. That's thirty years worth of Yankees history right there. As someone who was only alive for only 3 of those World Series titles, I could say that at least the Yankees never disappoint the fans much like the Mets. In which they haven't won a World Series since 1986. They even had it with 1988, but they lost in the NLCS by the Kirk Gibson-led Dodgers. Such a shame.

Comment

In the forty years between 1923 and 1962, the Yankees won 25 Pennants and 20 World Championships. That only left 15 years for the other 15 teams (and I'm not including the Pennants won in 1921, 1922, 1963, and 1964). Think about that. Now, all there is to show for it is the vandalized uninviting Heritage Park. Greed, mismanagement, and poor leadership have wrecked the franchise.

Comment

Considering we're one of the richest ball teams in MLB, it's probably way easy for the owner and general manager to get a lot of all-star tier players that wouldn't really take out every team in existence. I would say that Heritage Field is at least better than just mentioning which ballpark was demolished and putting in a home plate for every ceased stadium there is.

Comment

New York is the richest franchise. Yes, Heritage Field is better than a home plate or a plaque (but only if it's maintained and reflects the Yankee history, legacy, and traditions). And don't forget, we're talking about YANKEE STADIUM. One more time...YANKEE STADIUM.

Comment

I really hope that sportswriters don't start with anymore curse talk...ever. It was plain stupid when it was applied to the BoSox and the Cubs (the former just had some bad PS luck & the latter had terrible owners), but it would be beyond stupid to apply it to the Yankees. Most teams would die to have the level of success that they had in the 2010s, which technically are not over until Dec. 31, 2020 (there was never a year zero A.D.)

Comment

The only "Curse" they're operating under is the curse of having Brian Cashman as GM with lifetime tenure thanks to a milquetoast owner.

Comment

Such kind words...my opinions being called "beyond stupid." Technically you're right, the decade ends in 2020, BUT...that's not the way baseball fans look at it...PENNANTS: 1920-1929: 6, 1930-1939: 5, 1940-1949; 5, 1950-1959: 8, 1960--1969: 5, 1970-1979: 3, 1980-1989: 1, 1990-1999: 3, 2000-2009: 4, 2010-2019: 0. I agree with your "other" statements. And I don't think you or your opinions are "stupid." I just think we disagree. BTW... Derek Jeter said that any year in which the Yankees do not win the Word Series is considered a "failure." So, according to Jeter, the 2010s had no "success(es)." No apologies necessary (but in the future, please watch your choice of words).

Comment

My last post is in response to "3rdGenCub." And allow me to clarify...I don't agree with ANY of your statements; but you and your opinions still aren't "plain and beyond stupid."

Comment

Originally posted by Chris M. T. Jones View Post
                    My last post is in response to "3rdGenCub." And allow me to clarify...I don't agree with ANY of your statements; but you and your opinions still aren't "plain and beyond stupid."
                    I never meant to insult you as I was not calling you "stupid" just the idea of curses as being stupid, especially those fabricated by the media to sell papers in the past or get clicks today.

As a longtime Cubs fan, I had to deal with all of this curse nonsense for decades when the simple explanation is the Cubs had bad owners, plus a few bad breaks (2003 Game 6) just like everyone else in sports. However, their losing nor that of the Red Sox had anything remotely to do with a Babe Ruth Curse*, a Billy Goat Curse or Black Cat Curse or Bartman Curse.

All of these curses were "stupid" because they were only fabricated decades later by unscrupulous media hacks to get publicity. That's what I was referring to as stupid. I'm sick of the media labeling teams or even players as "cursed" or "jinxes." That is beyond stupid. But that was not then nor now ever directed at you. I hope that clarifies my post.

*Of course, the transfer of Ruth & most of the Red Sox's other great players to the Yankees was a "curse" in that it hurt the BoSox's chances in the 1920s & 1930s.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X