Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Name this Player

Hi,

I’m a Brit and new to baseball. I wonder if someone could help me out with the name of this player please?

thanks!

805D7C05-5E9C-46CD-9BD7-B6B47DC334A3.jpeg

Do you have any other information about him aside from this one photo–maybe what year it was taken, or the player's number?

Comment

All I can verify at the moment is that he's not a Yankee. That logo is from across town.
      Put it in the books.

Comment

He's not familiar to me, but I think I'd be able to find him if I were to go through a stat site and check the pictures, which I would be willing to do, since I'm not up to anything else. Is there a known year, or an estimate on year?
        How dear to my heart was the old-fashioned batter / who scattered line drives from the spring to the fall / He did not resemble the up-to-date batter / who swings from the heels and misses the ball.

The up-to-date batter, I’m not very strong for / he shatters the ozone with all of his might / And that is the reason I hanker and long for / those who doubled to left, and tripled to right.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's Sid Fernandez.
          Put it in the books.

Comment

Hi everyone

Many, many thanks for your offers of help and comments. Here’s what I know.

The image comes from 1993.

Sorry I’ve got no more. It’s from a friend of mine, I’ve asked for any more detail.

thanks again,

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Zigglebub View Post
              Hi everyone

Many, many thanks for your offers of help and comments. Here’s what I know.

The image comes from 1993.

Sorry I’ve got no more. It’s from a friend of mine, I’ve asked for any more detail.

thanks again,

Tim
              As I said, it's Sid Fernandez. He was a southpaw for the New York Mets when the pic was taken.

For the record, Fernandez was never a Yankee. I've left this thread here in the Yankees forum because the correction is noted in the comments.
              Put it in the books.

Comment

Hi,

I’m a Brit and new to baseball. I wonder if someone could help me out with the name of this player please?

thanks!

805D7C05-5E9C-46CD-9BD7-B6B47DC334A3.jpeg
                The big question is, where did he get the cap with the Giants' 1908 logo from? I tried not to look too closely at that 1993 season, so I must have blinked and missed that hat. I'd love to have one. Does anyone remember a special event where the New York Giants were honored?

The font of the uniform is similar to what the Mets used as an away uniform in the 1960s and 1970s, but the blue's dark and not bordered with orange. I'm sure the Giants must have worn that as a road uniform at some point. Could this game have been in San Francisco?

Also, what's your football team?

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

The big question is, where did he get the cap with the Giants' 1908 logo from? I tried not to look too closely at that 1993 season, so I must have blinked and missed that hat. I'd love to have one. Does anyone remember a special event where the New York Giants were honored?

The font of the uniform is similar to what the Mets used as an away uniform in the 1960s and 1970s, but the blue's dark and not bordered with orange. I'm sure the Giants must have worn that as a road uniform at some point. Could this game have been in San Francisco?
                  I'm guessing it was the game of Tuesday April 20. It's the only game of the year El Sid pitched against the Giants (8 innings, no decision). It was at Shea, tho.

Without looking it up, I'm sure it was a promotional date of some sort, with the theme tied to the day's opponent.

A question best asked and answered at a site not called Baseball-Fever.
                  Put it in the books.

Comment

Hi all, more info. I've been told that it's supposed to be Bud Black of the Giants. In fact, my shy friend emailed me this DonRuss card from 1992(!) - which says it's Bud Black of the Giants. Although I'm confused because the front image shows a NY uniform, and a quick Google tells me he never played for a NY team.

Anyway, thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Tim

IMG_0424.jpeg
                    IMG_0423.jpeg

Comment

Hi all, more info. I've been told that it's supposed to be Bud Black of the Giants. In fact, my shy friend emailed me this DonRuss card from 1992(!) - which says it's Bud Black of the Giants. Although I'm confused because the front image shows a NY uniform, and a quick Google tells me he never played for a NY team.

IMG_0424.jpeg
                      That appears to me to be a New York Giants' throwback uniform, possibly with a 1930's design, that could have been worn by the San Francisco Giants.

Comment

Anyway, thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Tim

IMG_0424.jpeg
                        IMG_0423.jpeg
                        Wow, Bud Black it is! (Black was never a Yankee either, heh)

Now I too am curious what the promotional date was. That's a 1993 Donruss card, so I'm guessing the date of the pic is 1992. I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest the game is from July 16 at Shea Stadium.
                        Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

Cheers for the detail... (I'm a Bristol Rovers' fan... we're famously a bit rubbish... I'm also a recent Mets' fan)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X