Torre may use Farnsworth and Sturtze to setup Mo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torre may use Farnsworth and Sturtze to setup Mo

It's a nice article overall. It says things about why he'd chosen the Yanks. What intrigued me, as it was mentioned to me by the person sending it, is that Torre said that Sturtze may be used to setup also. I'm not sure if it'll be to spell Farnsworth some guys, or merely to do 2 innings whenever he can.

Either case, if Sturtze is injury-free, that could be a good thing, as he's already played in the Bronx.

Yankees' New Setup Man Chose to Leave the Comforts of Home
    TAMPA, Fla., Feb. 19 — Every day, Kyle Farnsworth wakes up at his home in Orlando, five minutes from the Atlanta Braves' spring training complex, and drives about 90 minutes southwest to Legends Field. He grew up in Georgia and lived 45 minutes from Turner Field in Atlanta last summer.

So why does Farnsworth have an "NY" on his chest instead of the Braves' tomahawk? The Braves tried to re-sign him as their closer, but Farnsworth chose the Yankees, even though he did not know any former Yankees who could prepare him for life in the Bronx.

"It would have been perfect there, but it was just one of those things," Farnsworth said Sunday, referring to Atlanta. "I didn't have any bad thoughts. To me, the Yankees were the best team out there."

The Yankees also pursued him most aggressively, offering $17 million over three years, $2 million more than the Braves' three-year offer. But if money had been the deciding factor, Farnsworth said, he would have signed with the Texas Rangers, where he could have made $21 million over four years.

Manager Joe Torre said Farnsworth would be interchangeable with Tanyon Sturtze as a setup man for closer Mariano Rivera. Another right-hander, Octavio Dotel, is coming back from elbow surgery and could be ready by June.

Torre's plan is to use those pitchers for no more than an inning at a time, to keep them strong. The season will probably stretch to October, when Farnsworth should get a chance to prove himself again.

"That's where the best are," he said. "That's where everything's spotlighted. That's the time to shine."
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

I'd like to see Jaret Wright get a chance as the setup man. I don't want him anywhere near the rotation, but he throws hard, and that might be good enough for an inning or two of work.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
      I'd like to see Jaret Wright get a chance as the setup man. I don't want him anywhere near the rotation, but he throws hard, and that might be good enough for an inning or two of work.
      http://www.baseball-reference.com/w/wrighja02.shtml

From 2003-04, he worked exactly 100 games in relief. Not a single game started.

If so, then Sturtze may be bumped to utility/long/mid relief.
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

Kill me now. Sturtze has never been good, and he only appeared good for a little while through luck. Over the last three seasons he has a 5.21 ERA as a reliever, with a crappy K/BB of 123/77 and 23 HR allowed. He walks too many, doesn't strike out enough, and allows too many homeruns to be a decent pitcher.

Comment

Originally posted by Dasperp
          Kill me now. Sturtze has never been good, and he only appeared good for a little while through luck. Over the last three seasons he has a 5.21 ERA as a reliever, with a crappy K/BB of 123/77 and 23 HR allowed. He walks too many, doesn't strike out enough, and allows too many homeruns to be a decent pitcher.
          He'd really impressed me on that game against Boston right before the infamous "fight", but he was mowin' 'em down. Afterwards, he went downhill.

From this article:
          In other Yankees' news, reliever Tanyon Sturtze started his throwing program Wednesday, making 30 tosses in the outfield from 60 feet.

Sturtze, slowed by a tired shoulder last season, spent the offseason in New York taking part in a program to strengthen it. The right-hander has no doubt he will be ready for opening day.

“My shoulder feels great ... it's strong,” Sturtze said. “I haven't had the opportunity to throw as much as I have in the past staying in New York. We're taking it slow.”

Comment

Originally posted by Dasperp
            I'm with you Das. I have no idea why Torre trusts this guy so much.
            I mean he hasn't done anything to deserve it.
            I'm scared for any lead which involved Torre calling Sturtze number.
            "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

Torre has never been a good judge of pitchers beyond the obvious. Once the starter is gone and it is too early for Rivera, Torre is clueless.
              Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST
                Torre has never been a good judge of pitchers beyond the obvious. Once the starter is gone and it is too early for Rivera, Torre is clueless.
                He's got more coaches now, most of whom, other than Donnie Baseball and Louisiana Lightning (Guidry), have some MLB managerial experience.

Let's see whether or not the combination of minds is as clueless as presumed. Hopefully not.

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST
                  Hahaha...that's classic!
                  I never heard it put so well!!
                  "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

yeah because "everyone" knew that Graeme Lloyd, Allen Watson, Jason Grimesly, Mike Buddie and Ching Meng Wang were going to be solid contributors to playoff teams.

He does better when they let him find people rather than George and Brian signing someone else's big name relievers (Felix Rodriguez, Steve Karsay, Tom Gordon, Paul Quantrill, Jeff Nelson the 2nd and 3rd time)and trying to fit them in the Yankees rotation.
                    Lets Go Yankees, Valley Cats, Dutchmen, UT Spartans and ECU Pirates.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X