• Show
Clear All
  • Mattingly
    Yankee fan & proud of it!
    • Feb 2003

New Yankee Stadium clears City Planning Commission; goes to NYC Council

Plan For New Yankee Stadium Clears Major Hurdle

February 22, 2006

Plans to build a new Yankee stadium right across from the House that Ruth Built cleared a major hurdle Wednesday.

The City Planning Commission voted in favor of the plan at a hearing.

Last month, there were some fireworks when a shouting match broke out between opponents and supporters of the plan before the meeting even started.

Opponents fear a new stadium will take away coveted parkland and bring too much traffic into the neighborhood. Supporters say the parkland will be replaced and the project will bring much-needed jobs and businesses to the area.

The Yankees plan to pay the $800 million for the new complex, with the city chipping in for infrastructure.

Plans call for the new stadium to be ready for the 2009 baseball season.

The next step is for the plan to go to the full City Council for a vote.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004
  • Myankee4life
    • Jan 2005

Thats cool...cant wait for the new stadium.
    "I was pitching one day when my glasses clouded up on me. I took them off to polish them. When I looked up to the plate, I saw Jimmie Foxx. The sight of him terrified me so much that I haven't been able to wear glasses since." - Left Gomez

"(Lou) Gehrig never learned that a ballplayer couldn't be good every day." - Hank Gowdy

Comment

• TonyStarks
      Yankee Forum Janitor
      • Jun 2005

I seriously do not like this.

I cannot understand how they would tear down Yankee Stadium.
      This is the house Ruth Built...this is like making a new 'Colliseum' or building a new Tower of Pisa because it's tilting.

I just don't like it.
      I would have preferred the Yanks just Upgrade the stadium...but thank God that at least they are keeping the Yanks in the Bronx.
      "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• Mattingly
        • Feb 2003

They should just gut it and add more parking space. Of course, you've gotta play somewhere, and I don't think it's feasible to play all of your games on the road or at Shea (which is itself considering building a new stadium).

Still, I'm more for keeping Ruth's House than anything else.
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• DoubleX
          Just a Fool
          • Feb 2004

I have no problem with renovating the current stadium, since it has already undergone major renovations from its original structure. What is important is the field. That is the outfield of Ruth, DiMaggio, and Mantle, that is the first base of Gehrig and Mattingly, that is the homeplate of Berra, Howard, and Munson. It is the field where champions played and where champions won. It is the field that should continue to keep serving history.

Comment

• POLO GROUNDS 1957
            • Jun 2004

yankee stadium

This sucks big time. i see that the city of new york has not learned there lession after all of these years after tearing down the polo grounds and seeing ebbets field in brooklyn come down. when this new stadium opens i am done with the yankees.
            LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Comment

• Mattingly
              • Feb 2003

Originally posted by POLO GROUNDS 1957
              This sucks big time. i see that the city of new york has not learned there lession after all of these years after tearing down the polo grounds and seeing ebbets field in brooklyn come down. when this new stadium opens i am done with the yankees.
              Sometimes I feel the same way.

I think that back in the '80s when Ed Koch was the NYC Mayor and John Kean was the NJ Governor, they were the top spokespeople for their respective places. It seemed like Koch had more pull than Kean, but Koch was a mayor, not a governor.

Even back then, George kept bringing up leaving the Bronx for NJ because of either the security of the neighborhood (it's in the notorious South Bronx) or because of either lack of parking or not enough luxury boxes.

I'll deal with all this, so long as I can see my boys in the same House that Ruth Built. If anything, they should bring back what Yankee Stadium originally looked like. Heck, bring back "Death Valley", which was about 485' in CF, where Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle once roamed.

I don't care what modern feature you add, how well you update the facilities, it'll never be the same. I just want to keep my old Yankee Stadium, rather than some super duper nouveau stadium.

Now where the heck did George get the $800m? Especially with spending $208m last season, plus a farm system, then adding in luxury taxes and revenue sharing.

Comment

• Mattingly
                • Feb 2003

Originally posted by DoubleX
                I have no problem with renovating the current stadium, since it has already undergone major renovations from its original structure. What is important is the field. That is the outfield of Ruth, DiMaggio, and Mantle, that is the first base of Gehrig and Mattingly, that is the homeplate of Berra, Howard, and Munson. It is the field where champions played and where champions won. It is the field that should continue to keep serving history.
                It's always the soil, the dirt, the life and soul of the stadium itself that gives it the character. Remove that and you're playing in foreign land.

How do you just uproot the whole thing and move north? There's a thread about this under the Ballparks forum. Someone said that the Roman Coliseum, Fenway, Wrigley should never be changed. Yankee Stadium was amongst that group. I couldn't agree more.

Comment

• zman
                  • May 2004

Originally posted by Mattingly
                  If anything, they should bring back what Yankee Stadium originally looked like. Heck, bring back "Death Valley", which was about 485' in CF, where Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle once roamed. I don't care what modern feature you add, how well you update the facilities, it'll never be the same.
                  My sentiments, exactly. I think they took things too far when they lost the roof and facade during the last rennovation. It changed the whole architectural character and feel of the place.

(MSNusers.com)
                  Last edited by zman; 02-23-2006, 06:55 AM.

Comment

• christian gentleman
                    capital of baseball
                    • Dec 2005

A new classic

If Camden Yards in Baltimore is any indication, I hope the new Stadium will have as much character and beauty as the current one. I think it's high time they built a new facility. The City of New York and the Bronx have the land and the ability. Fenway is a treasure, but it has nowhere to go in Boston. Fenway has to remain the way it is with minor adjustments here and there. But the Yanks have a unique opportunity to create a place that will suit the winningest team in mlb history. I think we should look forward to it. It will allow for future fans to see our bombers in a more modern yet respectfully classic atmosphere. The current stadium is close to my heart, but I also see that it is out of date and in need of retirement. I think the Babe would agree.

Go Yanks.

Comment

• DoubleX
                      Just a Fool
                      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by christian gentleman
                      If Camden Yards in Baltimore is any indication, I hope the new Stadium will have as much character and beauty as the current one. I think it's high time they built a new facility. The City of New York and the Bronx have the land and the ability. Fenway is a treasure, but it has nowhere to go in Boston. Fenway has to remain the way it is with minor adjustments here and there. But the Yanks have a unique opportunity to create a place that will suit the winningest team in mlb history. I think we should look forward to it. It will allow for future fans to see our bombers in a more modern yet respectfully classic atmosphere. The current stadium is close to my heart, but I also see that it is out of date and in need of retirement. I think the Babe would agree.

Go Yanks.
                      The thing is though that the new stadium, no matter how beautiful it is, will never have more character than the current stadium. The current stadium's character is in the history, and you cannot replicate that.

Comment

• Mattingly
                        • Feb 2003

Someone elsewhere said that there's a Metro-North train passing near Yankee Stadium. Since many upstate New York and Connecticut passengers presently have to go to the 125th St station in Harlem, then take the D train to Yankee Stadium. Perhaps a Yankee Stadium stop could be added to the Metro-North for limited use (81 games/yr only).
                        Originally posted by DoubleX
                        The thing is though that the new stadium, no matter how beautiful it is, will never have more character than the current stadium. The current stadium's character is in the history, and you cannot replicate that.
                        I'm not against their building a new stadium. I just don't want it moved. If they want to make it look more like the original Yankee Stadium and kept it right where it's at, I'm fine. They can blow it up.

This would likely mean asking Fred Wilpon, the Mets' owner, if we could again use Shea for home games, as we did from 1974-75. I'd take that, given that they're not also rebuilding a stadium at the same time. Interestingly, the Mets will be building adjacent to the current Shea.

This whole loss of history thing is what bothers me. They don't make 'em like they used to, and they never will.

Comment

• TonyStarks
                          Yankee Forum Janitor
                          • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Mattingly
                          I'm not against their building a new stadium. I just don't want it moved. If they want to make it look more like the original Yankee Stadium and kept it right where it's at, I'm fine. They can blow it up.

This whole loss of history thing is what bothers me. They don't make 'em like they used to, and they never will.
                          The Stadium is going to be a replica of Yankee Stadium right? There will be more modern features added and luxury boxes for yuppies and CEO's to visit.

At least the stadium is only moving a few yards and no corporate name is going on the stadium.
                          "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X