Baseball America's Top 100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball America's Top 100

Baseball America's Top 100 came out today. I only did a quick scan but it appears that four Yankees made the cut:

- Joba Chamberlain - No. 3
    - Jose Tabata - No. 37
    - Austin Jackson - No. 41
    - Ian Kennedy - No. 45

Anyone else think they're underrating Ian Kennedy? Do people not realize how dominant he was in every facet at every level last year, including the Majors? He might not have the stuff of someone like Chamberlain of Buchholz, but actual performance has to count for something, and Kennedy has been nothing short of dominant.

Hmm, I'm suprised both Horne and Montero missed the cut, I figured they'd slip into the backend of the list.
    After an offseason scare with blood clots, Shelley Duncan said yesterday he feels "wonderful -- like a stallion"

Comment

Originally posted by monkey333 View Post
      Hmm, I'm suprised both Horne and Montero missed the cut, I figured they'd slip into the backend of the list.
      Good call on Horne. He was the pitcher of the year last year in the Eastern League. I'm surprised he didn't sneak in there.

Comment

Does this only apply to players that are going to be rookies in the 2008 season?

Speaking of which- how many games/appearances do you have to have before you're not a rookie? Ex: Ellsbury played 33 games last year for the Sox, he's still a rookie? Joba, too..

Comment

Originally posted by Mission 27 View Post
          Does this only apply to players that are going to be rookies in the 2008 season?

Speaking of which- how many games/appearances do you have to have before you're not a rookie? Ex: Ellsbury played 33 games last year for the Sox, he's still a rookie? Joba, too..
          50IP or 130ABs. Both Ellsbury and Joba still have eligibilty.
          After an offseason scare with blood clots, Shelley Duncan said yesterday he feels "wonderful -- like a stallion"

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX View Post
            Baseball America's Top 100 came out today. I only did a quick scan but it appears that four Yankees made the cut:

- Joba Chamberlain - No. 3
            - Jose Tabata - No. 37
            - Austin Jackson - No. 41
            - Ian Kennedy - No. 45

Anyone else think they're underrating Ian Kennedy? Do people not realize how dominant he was in every facet at every level last year, including the Majors? He might not have the stuff of someone like Chamberlain of Buchholz, but actual performance has to count for something, and Kennedy has been nothing short of dominant.

I think because Ian Kennedy doesn't have Joba's fastball...or Hughes' presence....that hurts Ian in a weird way.
            "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

Anyone else think Drew Stubbs or Steve Pearce got knocked down a bit too much? I can understand a little about Pearce's age, but look at his stats.

Also, now that I look at it, I think we can all agree that Geovany Soto had a career year last year. Even the Minors guys acknowledge that. But why is he so high, then?
              Last edited by Dalkowski110; 02-26-2008, 02:48 PM.
              "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
              -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

Anyone else think they're underrating Ian Kennedy?
                At least he's under 50.

Comment

I think they are really underrating Ian. I am also looking forward to Jose Tabata in the outfield. The future looks bright in the outfield with Tabata, Jackson, and Melky.
                  Quest for 27
                  Winners make goals, losers make excuses.

Comment

The more I think about it the more I don't get Montero missing the list. Villalona is ranked at #33 and he's already been shifted to first so what gives? I also just realized Lars Anderson is one spot ahead of Action. Damn you and your obsession Jim Callis, damn you...

Comment

Do people not realize how dominant he was in every facet at every level last year, including the Majors? He might not have the stuff of someone like Chamberlain of Buchholz, but actual performance has to count for something, and Kennedy has been nothing short of dominant.
                      Dominant at the MLB level? You referring to his three starts against Tampa Bay, Toronto and Kansas City? That's not much to go by to consider he dominated at the MLB level and against mediocre to average MLB talent.

Comment

Originally posted by Evangelion View Post
                        Dominant at the MLB level? You referring to his three starts against Tampa Bay, Toronto and Kansas City? That's not much to go by to consider he dominated at the MLB level and against mediocre to average MLB talent.
                        Then by that logic, I suppose it’s fair to discount Clay Buchholz’s no hitter, because after all, it came against the woeful Orioles. So I guess that wasn’t a real no hitter, right?

The point is that you can only play the team on the schedule, and Kennedy went out and pitched well at the Major League level in three straight starts and against three different teams, continuing his great pitching from the minors, and despite having less than a season of professional experience. You don’t see many pitchers going through the levels in their first year like Kennedy did and then getting to the Majors and pitching well in his first three starts. How many established Major League pitchers pitch well in three straight starts? It’s not that easy to do, irrespective of the quality of the competition.

Comment

I agree with what you're saying about Ian Kennedy, DoubleX. I can't think of anyone that's been able to be effective in all 3 levels of the minors as well as his first 3 starts in the majors. He doesn't have the fastball, or the presence- maybe- but this kid knows how to pitch. Everyone will realize this come summertime..

Anyone else curious as to how few Mets were on the list? I thought they were suppose to have tons and tons of prospects, especially outfielders?

Comment

Then by that logic, I suppose it’s fair to discount Clay Buchholz’s no hitter, because after all, it came against the woeful Orioles. So I guess that wasn’t a real no hitter, right?
                            As much as I agree with you in saying you can't discount someone too much because of the level of competition he faced, I can't agree with saying a pitcher was dominant at the MLB level because of 3 starts. Same thing with Buchholz -- 3 starts, good ERA, but hardly to the point where I would say he dominated at the MLB level last year.
                            Originally posted by Domenic
                            The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

Originally posted by Westlake View Post
                              As much as I agree with you in saying you can't discount someone too much because of the level of competition he faced, I can't agree with saying a pitcher was dominant at the MLB level because of 3 starts. Same thing with Buchholz -- 3 starts, good ERA, but hardly to the point where I would say he dominated at the MLB level last year.
                              I originally said, "Do people not realize how dominant he was in every facet at every level last year, including the Majors?" I don't see how that is untrue. One could say that perhaps I'm exagerrating how well he pitched in the Majors because his walk rate was a little high, but in the games he pitched last year, at every level, he was on the whole dominant, Buchholz was as well. That does not necessarily mean that either will be a dominant pitcher or is a matter of fact a dominant pitcher, just that they dominated when they pitched last year. Kennedy looked dominant in the games he pitched in, and that includes three games at the Major League level, and that's what my comment was limited to.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X