Why is Morgan Ensberg wearing Paul O'Neill's number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Evangelion View Post
    Even retiring a number of a player who was on their team for five seasons?
    I completely agree with you on Reggie's number. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up retiring Goose's 54 in a few seasons from now, or at least give him a plaque. My point is that teams with many championships will tend to retire more numbers of players that had a significant impact during a team's era of success.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly85MVP View Post
      I completely agree with you on Reggie's number. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up retiring Goose's 54 in a few seasons from now, or at least give him a plaque. My point is that teams with many championships will tend to retire more numbers of players that had a significant impact during a team's era of success.
      This is a really good point...I'd bet that Foxx and Grove would have had their numbers retired by the Bosox if they had helped the team to a WS win. The 10 year team service policy would never have been put into place. With no rings to point to, long team service became a defining criterion.
      Papi and Manny are probably locks, policy or not...the rules are going to change after two (or more!) WS wins.
      "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Didn't they already change the rules to get Carlton Fisk's 27 retired. I think before that you had to either retire a Red Sox or spend your entire career with them.
        Lets Go Yankees, Valley Cats, Dutchmen, UT Spartans and ECU Pirates.

Comment

Yeah to bulid on the whole point of going into the Hall as a Yankee, werent there plans to retire Dave Winfield's #31 after he was elected. I remember them making a big deal out of making Glenallen Hill change his number after we traded for him. These plans were of course scrapped when he chose to go in as a Padre.
          Lets Go Yankees, Valley Cats, Dutchmen, UT Spartans and ECU Pirates.

Comment

Originally posted by Biggtone23 View Post
            Yeah to bulid on the whole point of going into the Hall as a Yankee, werent there plans to retire Dave Winfield's #31 after he was elected. I remember them making a big deal out of making Glenallen Hill change his number after we traded for him. These plans were of course scrapped when he chose to go in as a Padre.
            I remember the day they honored Winfield when they painted his #31 along the 1st and 3rd base foul grounds, and the pre-game speech, but they were probably trying to persuade him into choosing the Yankees cap. Had he gone in as a Yankee, I bet Steinbrenner would probably have retired his number as a way to say he was sorry for going behind his back to find whatever dirt there was on Wini back in 1990
            Last edited by Mattingly85MVP; 03-07-2008, 01:07 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

"The Yankees tonight added Morgan Ensberg to the 40-man roster. He will make $1.75 million.

He has no options, so this mean that Ensberg is going to make the team. Now that he knows his status, Ensberg said his next move would be to get a new number. He does not want to wear 21. “I can’t wear Paul O’Neill’s number,” he said."

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
                They'd need a double retirement for Jackie Robinson. I'm still wondering how the Yanks would handle that whole thing.
                #8 was retired twice
                2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

Well, Ensberg is free to wear the number, until, like you say, they retire O'Neill's jersey. Idon't think Ensberg will be there that long though....
                  MySpace Codes

Comment

One of these days the Yanks are gonna run outta numbers and we're gonna hear, "Now pitching for New York, Number 2/3....."

Comment

Or 00 or we give up

Comment

Now I have to change this to Why the HELL is LaTroy Hawkins wearing O'Neill's number, this is an even bigger travesty.

So I'm not the only one who was thinking about this...its a nice thing that he's wearing it for Clemente, but I still don't care, it shouldn't be worn at all. If anything, give it to Joba or a good young talent, or maybe even Melky...not Hawkings!
                        http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=nyy
                        sigpic

Comment

I liked Paulie. But I have no problem with Hawkins wearing 21. I don't really think it should be retired yet anyway.
                          Note, 3 and 9 were worn by other players before they were retired. I would say Nettles did okay wearing 9.

Welcome back ARod. Hope you are a Yankee forever.
                          Phil Rizzuto-a Yankee forever.

Holy Cow

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly85MVP View Post
                            Now I have to change this to Why the HELL is LaTroy Hawkins wearing O'Neill's number, this is an even bigger travesty.

So I'm not the only one who was thinking about this...its a nice thing that he's wearing it for Clemente, but I still don't care, it shouldn't be worn at all. If anything, give it to Joba or a good young talent, or maybe even Melky...not Hawkings!
                            http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=nyy
                            He's wearing it to honor Roberto Clemente.

LaTroy Hawkins wears 21 to honor a hero, not knock one

Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                            THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by JerseySoxFan19 View Post
                              One of these days the Yanks are gonna run outta numbers and we're gonna hear, "Now pitching for New York, Number 2/3....."
                              If he strikes out "JerseySoxFan wearing #19" to end the game, I'll cheer!

OK, enough of the BR thread stuff ... for now, anyway!
                              Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                              THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                              Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Yankeebiscuitfan
                                Munson? Only because of the tragic accident? How tragic it was, I think that it should not be a reason for retiring his number. Then we can retire Cory Lidle's number too.
                                Munson is a legend and your disrespect is galling. He was so highly regarded that he was named Captain, succeeding Lou Gehrig, in that role. He was one of, if not the best, catcher of his generation and a leader on and off the field. His grit, determination, hustle and skill were unmatched.

To attempt to put Cory Lidle in the same discussion as Thurman Munson is simply ridiculous.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X