This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visiting NYC/Yankee Stadium

We've had a number of threads from people planning on visiting the city and take in a Yankee game with questions about what to do, where to stay and eat, what to see, etc... So I thought I'd take a page from the Sox forum and start a thread about it. So if anyone has any questions about visiting NYC and going to Yankee Stadium, feel free to post. And if anyone has some advice they'd like to share, feel free to post as well.

Get there real early if you don't wanna be parking a mile away from the stadium! Or take subway if possible.

Comment

If you've never been to Yankee Stadium before make sure you get to Monument Park. Just remember to show up early otherwise you'll be waiting a while to get in.

Comment

Very nice idea, XX.

Here's a nice link: http://gonyc.about.com/cs/attractions/p/yankee.htm

Here's another for getting to/from there by ferry boat: http://www.nywaterway.com/event/baseball-cruise.shtml
        Last edited by Mattingly; 03-28-2008, 02:22 PM.
        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
          Very nice idea, XX.

Here's a nice link: http://gonyc.about.com/cs/attractions/p/yankee.htm

Here's another for getting to/from there by ferry boat: http://www.nywaterway.com/event/baseball-cruise.shtml
          Oh yeah, I forgot about the boat. I took the boat a couple times. You get a free hotdog and a free soda if you go on the boat. I wonder if, next year, theyre gonna have the boat stop closer to the new stadium?

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyjimjimz View Post
            Oh yeah, I forgot about the boat. I took the boat a couple times. You get a free hotdog and a free soda if you go on the boat. I wonder if, next year, theyre gonna have the boat stop closer to the new stadium?
            I got together with about 2 dozen friends last summer and there were about 4 boats there. Larger than ferries, they were about 200-300 ft long, I think. Pretty good-sized boats they were.

To my knowledge, the last one leaves about 90 minutes after the game ends, and they take you to Weehawken (Port Imperial), as well as several parts of Manhattan. Here's their contact info:

http://www.nywaterway.com/event/contact.shtml
            Last edited by Mattingly; 03-29-2008, 01:47 AM.
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyjimjimz View Post
              I've read that part of the plan for the new stadium was to spruce up the waterfront area there. Who knows if it will actually happen. There's also supposed to be a Metro North station being built for the new stadium, and that should help alleviate traffic for people coming from north of the city.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX View Post
                I've read that part of the plan for the new stadium was to spruce up the waterfront area there. Who knows if it will actually happen. There's also supposed to be a Metro North station being built for the new stadium, and that should help alleviate traffic for people coming from north of the city.
                That would be AMAZING for me, coming from Westchester...

Start drinking early cause beers at the Stadium are getting quite ridiculously expensive lol

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX View Post
                  Last summer, some of my friends gathered at one of the parking lots for a tailgate party. If you use one of those covered overpasses, you'll see the Metro-North train. That one runs directly from parts of the Bronx, then Harlem at 125th St to Grand Central Terminal (East 42nd St). Therefore, it would boost traffic from midtown Manhattan also. Since Yankee Stadium is in the South Bronx, I would imagine that it would be between the Melrose (Bronx) and Harlem stations.

http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm

I'm not too sure how convenient Yankee Stadium III will be to the existing tracks. If it's right near there, then all that's required is two stations being built. Otherwise, there will have to be a short detouring of tracks which will be made only on game days.

Comment

Originally posted by Mission 27 View Post
                    That would be AMAZING for me, coming from Westchester...

Start drinking early cause beers at the Stadium are getting quite ridiculously expensive lol
                    Unless they've changed their beverage policy, you can bring in a non-alcoholic beverage that's less than 32 oz. If it's in a clear bottle, they'll OK it, and a plastic bottle, as opposed to glass, may be even more preferable.

No thermoses, since they want to know what's inside. Same with food, but avoid the mayonnaise on a hot day.

Comment

Hey guys. I'm planning on going to a Yankees game this summer. I was wondering about parking. Really, I just have two main questions. Is parking readily available? And how much should I expect to pay?

Less importantly, what is, in your opinion, the best way to purchase tickets? I don't so much care about the quality of the seats, I just want the cheapest tickets possible.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big C View Post
                        Hey guys. I'm planning on going to a Yankees game this summer. I was wondering about parking. Really, I just have two main questions. Is parking readily available? And how much should I expect to pay?

Less importantly, what is, in your opinion, the best way to purchase tickets? I don't so much care about the quality of the seats, I just want the cheapest tickets possible.
                        I can't help you on the parking because I take the subway to the stadium, but the cheapest way to get tickets is through Ticketmaster as you can get them at face value. However, lots of games are probably already sold out, and tickets for games that are left are probably not very good (though you said quality doesn't really matter, and in truth, even way up in the tier, you're ok at Yankee Stadium). Sometimes as you get really close to the game, Ticketmaster makes some more seats available, including very expensive ones. Failing that, you could try Stubhub or Ebay or some other ticket place. You might have some luck getting a good deal at Ebay for a midweek game against a non-marquee team, otherwise though you'll likely pay over face.

Comment

If you're in Michigan, then you're going to be staying at a hotel, likely in Manhattan. If in the Times Square area, there are parking spaces around there, some more expensive than others. Anything that's further away from the hotels (around Broadway) and closer to 8th or 9th Ave would likely be cheaper. Park your car there, then take the D or #4 trains to Yankee Stadium like the majority of NYC area fans do. I used to live in Brooklyn, am now in NJ, I've always used the trains.

For tickets, try either Ticketron or StubHub, which is owned by eBay, as mentioned by XX. If you're already in NYC on routine business, then you can try the various clubhouse shops. Please note that since this is the historic stadium's final season, many games will already be sold out, especially those against Boston and interleague games against the Mets. If you can get a mid-week game vs the Rays or Indians, don't refuse it unless some other game is available in your price range.

Here's the listings of clubhouse stores, so please look under "New York":

http://www.sportsavenue.com/stores.htm

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.

I'm going with my friend, and neither of us care who we see play, we just want to go to the stadium before they close it. We are also planning on going to a Mets game and visiting Cooperstown while we're in New York.

We probably won't stay in a hotel in the city, because it's quite a bit more expensive from what I can tell. We'll probably stay about halfway between NYC and Cooperstown, and just drive to the stadium.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.

I'm going with my friend, and neither of us care who we see play, we just want to go to the stadium before they close it. We are also planning on going to a Mets game and visiting Cooperstown while we're in New York.

We probably won't stay in a hotel in the city, because it's quite a bit more expensive from what I can tell. We'll probably stay about halfway between NYC and Cooperstown, and just drive to the stadium.
                              Sounds like a good trip. I will say though that if you're driving from halfway to Cooperstown, which would put you like 2 hours north of the city on a good day, be cognizant of traffic because traffic around the city in the summer can be horrendous.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X