Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to Citi from Philly, I would use the Outerbridge to the Verazano and take either the BQE or Belt North.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
      If you're in the Philly area, then I would simply suggest that you tell me which is most convenient for you to access NYC:
      I would just take SEPTA to Trenton and from there to NYP by NJTransit, 33 for round trip, cheaper than parking alone in NYC.

Comment

• I agree fully but if you insist on driving. . .

Comment

• Originally posted by The Korean View Post
          I would just take SEPTA to Trenton and from there to NYP by NJTransit, 33 for round trip, cheaper than parking alone in NYC.
          I guess that would also depend upon when the last train home was, and whether the person were drinking. If drinking when returning to Manhattan, I'd recommend the train. If it's around 5-6pm when the game ends (presuming it's a weekend game), I'd say that driving would be OK.

If it's a weekday game, not everyone wants to drive home after 11pm, if a game started at 7:05pm. If the last train hasn't left yet, then the train may be the best option.

You have to weigh the number of people, the gas mileage, and the if you have more than one person who can drive safely at the time you're leaving and arriving.
          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
            Going to Citi from Philly, I would use the Outerbridge to the Verazano and take either the BQE or Belt North.
            You think that going through Staten Island would be better than taking the 440 in Bayonne to Jersey City, then the 1-9 North to Lincoln Tunnel, then the Queens-Midtown Tunnel to Citi?
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

I guess that would also depend upon when the last train home was, and whether the person were drinking. If drinking when returning to Manhattan, I'd recommend the train. If it's around 5-6pm when the game ends (presuming it's a weekend game), I'd say that driving would be OK.

If it's a weekday game, not everyone wants to drive home after 11pm, if a game started at 7:05pm. If the last train hasn't left yet, then the train may be the best option.

You have to weigh the number of people, the gas mileage, and the if you have more than one person who can drive safely at the time you're leaving and arriving.
              I used to go back home from Philly on NJ Transit, via SEPTA. I remember leaving Philadelphia at 11 and arriving at NYP at 2.

Comment

You think that going through Staten Island would be better than taking the 440 in Bayonne to Jersey City, then the 1-9 North to Lincoln Tunnel, then the Queens-Midtown Tunnel to Citi?
                General rule of thumb for driving in Manhattan. Drive as little as you can. Avoid it totally if at all possible.

According to Mapquest (a much improved site BTW) going through Staten Island adds about two miles to the trip. From 106 to 108. You have the option to take the Outerbridge or the Goethals (being in Union County NJ I use the Goethals but it is under construction), so you can check traffic updates. Also, once in Brooklyn you can take either the BQE or go a little further out of the way and take the Belt.

In all scenarios, you avoid the tunnels and 34th st.

Comment

I used to go back home from Philly on NJ Transit, via SEPTA. I remember leaving Philadelphia at 11 and arriving at NYP at 2.
                  11pm-2am? Or 11am-2pm?

I remember from looking at the printed scheduler that the trip took around 2 hrs, 45 minutes, so this seems about right.

Comment

• PM to AM, at night obviously. It was after flyers game.

Comment

• Originally posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
                      General rule of thumb for driving in Manhattan. Drive as little as you can. Avoid it totally if at all possible.

According to Mapquest (a much improved site BTW) going through Staten Island adds about two miles to the trip. From 106 to 108. You have the option to take the Outerbridge or the Goethals (being in Union County NJ I use the Goethals but it is under construction), so you can check traffic updates. Also, once in Brooklyn you can take either the BQE or go a little further out of the way and take the Belt.

In all scenarios, you avoid the tunnels and 34th st.
                      So you find Staten Island easier to navigate? I barely even know the place.

Why do you avoid Manhattan? The traffic? If anything to avoid in the Penn Station area (W 34th St), it would be the endless truck traffic just above this (35th to 40th St) where the Garment District manufacturers' trucks are constantly making deliveries. The truck traffic there, and then the restaurants' trucks, just makes the area one crazy thing for vehicle traffic.

Don't even think about Times Square. Anyplace that has standing room only traffic, despite everyone moving quickly on very wide streets, isn't a place that a newbie would enjoy driving through.

Comment

PM to AM, at night obviously. It was after flyers game.
                        Oh, OK. I'd presumed that it was after a game, but some people travel for work, etc.

Oh, Rangers vs Flyers. Yes, I'd recommend NJT trains for that trip home. Too much excitement after a hockey game to want to drive all that distance home.

Comment

• You'd be surprised how late NJ transit runs. Maybe not SEPTA.

Comment

You'd be surprised how late NJ transit runs. Maybe not SEPTA.
                            I haven't checked, but I think that they'd be more accomodating for the Madison Square Garden events moreso than baseball. Between Knicks and Rangers games, then the rock concerts there, you'll have fans from all over the tri-state area, as well as Pennsylvania.

I remember having worked by Newark Penn Station, and it took just 15 minutes to get to NY Penn via NJT. Since then, that's been my favorite way to get to mditown quickly from there.

Comment

I'm not too interested in a food thread, but if there are restaurants along the way when travelling to NYC, such as near where there's parking, that seems fine.
                              How about beefsteak?
                              http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/30/di...pagewanted=all
                              The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

You'd be surprised how late NJ transit runs. Maybe not SEPTA.
                                With SEPTA in this case you'd be talking about the Regional Rail line, the R7 I believe. Wouldn't be bad for getting from central Philly to a Yankees game, but I don't know that the Regional Rail trains run that late getting back. Generally the last one runs at around 12:30 AM, would probably be too late after a night game.
                                :cap: Everything from parking to peanuts at the ballgame...check out www.BallparkEGuides.com! :cap:

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X