X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mattingly
    replied
    Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    Louis Armstrong lived in nearby Corona (at 34-56 107th Street) from 1943 until his passing in 1971. According to the Louis Armstrong House website, Flushing Meadows Park (which includes the National Tennis Center) is less than ten blocks away.
    Perhaps you are missing a simple point that somehow needs to be stated:

Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong was considered one of the finest male singers and trumpetists in the field of jazz.

Arthur Ashe was considered one of the finest tennis players in the United States. This is a tennis center where the US Open is played. Why would a it be named after a jazz legend instead of a tennis legend?

Had this been Lincoln Center dedicating a new wing, it could obviously be appropriately named after Satchmo and not Ashe.

Am I perfectly clear now?

Leave a comment:

• Gary Dunaier
    replied
    Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
    I know that "Satchmo", the grovelly-voiced and trumpet-playing jazz legend, was a Queens resident. However, I could never understand why his name was used for a tennis building.
    Louis Armstrong lived in nearby Corona (at 34-56 107th Street) from 1943 until his passing in 1971. According to the Louis Armstrong House website, Flushing Meadows Park (which includes the National Tennis Center) is less than ten blocks away.

Leave a comment:

• Mattingly
    replied
    What Mattingly is referring to is "Select Bus Service," which is supposed to provide faster service. Unlike regular buses, where you pay your fare upon entering, you pay prior to boarding the bus. There are machines at the bus stop that accept Metrocards and coins (sadly, no paper dollars), and you get a receipt you're supposed to hold on to as proof of payment. You don't have to show it to the driver as you get on the bus, but they do have people who check periodically, and if you can't produce a valid receipt, they will take you off the bus and write you a ticket - I've seen it happen.

Select Bus Services FAQ
    Oh, that's what it's called? Thanks.

I don't take the M34 (and I think also, the M16) buses. When I've taken the PATH train to the 33rd St stop, every few months, I'll need to take the 34th St bus, so that's how I got to know of it. Yes, I forgot to mention the pre-pay. I've never seen people get ticketed, since the only time that I'm regularly on 34th St is when I take the M4 or Q32 buses to 32nd & 6th/7th Aves (the last stop).

Arthur Ashe Stadium and Louis Armstrong Stadium are two separate buildings. Armstrong, originally the Singer Bowl from the World's Fair, was the main stadium for the U.S. Tennis Open from 1978, when the Open moved from Forest Hills to Flushing, until 1996. Ashe opened in 1997 and has been the event's "main stage" ever since.
    I hadn't realized that they were two separate buildings. I thought that they just renamed it, since I've never actually been there. I know that "Satchmo", the grovelly-voiced and trumpet-playing jazz legend, was a Queens resident. However, I could never understand why his name was used for a tennis building.

I remember right before then-Mayor David Dinkins (who played tennis practically every day) was leaving, since he'd lost his re-election bid to Rudy Guiliani. Dinkins signed some law that Guiliani couldn't reverse. That was that nearby LaGuardia Airport (named after Mayor Fiorella LaGuardia) have flights avert from the Louis Armstrong Stadium. Guiliani was incensed that Dinkins did this, and tried passionately for him not to. For that reason, Guiliani personally boycotted the US Open throughout his 8-year term (1993-2001).

Leave a comment:

• Gary Dunaier
    replied
    You have to use some kind of debit or credit card on the crosstown 34th St bus line only, since they don't accept the standard Metro cards.
    What Mattingly is referring to is "Select Bus Service," which is supposed to provide faster service. Unlike regular buses, where you pay your fare upon entering, you pay prior to boarding the bus. There are machines at the bus stop that accept Metrocards and coins (sadly, no paper dollars), and you get a receipt you're supposed to hold on to as proof of payment. You don't have to show it to the driver as you get on the bus, but they do have people who check periodically, and if you can't produce a valid receipt, they will take you off the bus and write you a ticket - I've seen it happen.

Select Bus Services FAQ

On the eastern end, this #7 train goes to Queens, and Willets Pt is where CitiField is located. For reference, LaGuardia Airport is right near there, and so is the Arthur Ashe Stadium (formerly, Louis Armstrong Stadium), where the US Open (tennis) is played every September.
    Arthur Ashe Stadium and Louis Armstrong Stadium are two separate buildings. Armstrong, originally the Singer Bowl from the World's Fair, was the main stadium for the U.S. Tennis Open from 1978, when the Open moved from Forest Hills to Flushing, until 1996. Ashe opened in 1997 and has been the event's "main stage" ever since.

Leave a comment:

• Mattingly
    replied
    According to the Bolt Bus website, there are three stops in New York:

New York W 33rd St & 11-12th Ave (DC,BAL,BOS,PHL)
    611 W. 33rd Street

Description: Curbside stop located 300 ft. west of the Northwest Corner of 33rd Street and 11th Avenue, 1 block south of the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center
    Connections: None

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    New York 1st Ave Between 38th & 39th (To BOS)
    672 1st Avenue

Description: Curbside stop on 1st Avenue between E. 38th and E. 39th Streets service Boston South Station, MA only
    Connections: Grand Central Station (E. 42nd St & Park Ave) or Subway @ 34th Street & 6th Ave (B,D,F,N,Q,R)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    New York 6th Ave Between Grand & Watts (DC or Phl)
    101 6th Avenue (between Grand and Watts Streets)

Description: This is an outdoor stop directly across from 101 Plaza of the Americas building. There's a Blue & Red sign on the utility pole about 10 feet in the air that says "Boltbus Washington, DC & Philadelphia" at this location.
    Connections: MTA subway lines A, C, 2, 3
    For the West 33rd St dropoff by 11th & 12th Ave, that's near the Jacob Javits Convention Center, which is close to the West Side Highway. That sounds like they exit the Lincoln Tunnel (which is parallel to 39th St), veers right to go slightly downtown (veering left would take you to the Port Authority Bus Terminal, which is from 40th to 42nd Sts, bet 8th & 9th Aves), then heads west.

For the connections there, you'd need to walk about 3-4 blocks east to catch the "A" train at 34th St and 8th Ave. Either that or hop a cab if you don't feel like walking (very pricey during Manhattan's ultra-busy midday rush "hour").

For the 2nd destination at 38th & 39th Sts and 1st Ave, you'd need to take either the crosstown 34th St bus (M34 or M16, I think), or the crosstown 42nd St bus (the M104). You have to use some kind of debit or credit card on the crosstown 34th St bus line only, since they don't accept the standard Metro cards.

Walking would be lengthy, since you'd have to walk to either 34th or 42nd Sts, then go from 1st Ave to 2nd Ave, 3rd Ave, then Lexington Ave, where Grand Central is located. If you went to 34th St, the local connecting train (the #6) is at 33rd St and Lexington. I would take 42nd St, since you can always catch the #7 train, which connects from Grand Central (by 42nd St & Vanderbilt St) to 5th Ave, then Times Square to the west. On the eastern end, this #7 train goes to Queens, and Willets Pt is where CitiField is located. For reference, LaGuardia Airport is right near there, and so is the Arthur Ashe Stadium (formerly, Louis Armstrong Stadium), where the US Open (tennis) is played every September.

I'm not too familiar with the 6th Ave & Grand St stop, but do recognize the street (Grand St) as one major street in our Chinatown in lower Manhattan, which at the north end, is adjacent to Little Italy.

Leave a comment:

• KurtDman24
    replied

611 W. 33rd Street

Description: Curbside stop located 300 ft. west of the Northwest Corner of 33rd Street and 11th Avenue, 1 block south of the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center

672 1st Avenue

Description: Curbside stop on 1st Avenue between E. 38th and E. 39th Streets service Boston South Station, MA only
    Connections: Grand Central Station (E. 42nd St & Park Ave) or Subway @ 34th Street & 6th Ave (B,D,F,N,Q,R)

Description: This is an outdoor stop directly across from 101 Plaza of the Americas building. There's a Blue & Red sign on the utility pole about 10 feet in the air that says "Boltbus Washington, DC & Philadelphia" at this location.
    What he said. :cap:

Leave a comment:

• Gary Dunaier
    replied
    Where exactly does the Bolt bus let you off in NYC? I'm not sure that I've ever seen those at the Port Authority Bus Terminal (PABT) by Times Square (the world's largest bus terminal).

611 W. 33rd Street

672 1st Avenue

Leave a comment:

• Mattingly
    replied
    Originally posted by KurtDman24 View Post
    I was just there for a tour in fact. The fees are still $35 at most lots, and it's something like $43 for playoff games. They actually had "World Series Rate" on the sign but it wasn't posted. (Sorry Yankees fans, couldn't resist.)

I've actually read some blurbs that the rate is going to go up because the lots have only been half full. It's the municipality that runs the lots, not the Yankees. You know it's bad when even New Yorkers won't pay it.

Silly to drive to Yankee Stadium...much better to take the B-D-4 or the Metro-North. I'm coming from South Jersey so I either take a Boltbus or the NJ Transit and then the D. Wouldn't dream of driving with all of the tolls and parking and traffic.
    Where exactly does the Bolt bus let you off in NYC? I'm not sure that I've ever seen those at the Port Authority Bus Terminal (PABT) by Times Square (the world's largest bus terminal). There's a smaller PABT by the George Washington Bridge, so you may wish to take it there, if it does stop there.

If the Secaucus, NJ area in Hudson County (north Jersey) is convenient for you, then you may wish to take the NJ Transit #320 bus:

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0320.pdf

They have a park-and-ride going from Secaucus' Harmon Meadow vicinity (where there are lots of hotels), and the parking is just off the Truck 1&9, leading to Route 495 (that heads to Lincoln Tunnel). I believe that the cost per passenger round trip should be about $7-8, and parking should be under $10/day. You'd have to add up the cost of how many people can fit into the vehicle, and how many will actually be attending that day.

Here's some contact info for NJ Transit: http://www.njtransit.com/tm/tm_servl...on=ContactUsTo

Leave a comment:

• KurtDman24
    replied
    Originally posted by DN4L View Post
    What's the latest on parking fees for 2012?
    I was just there for a tour in fact. The fees are still $35 at most lots, and it's something like $43 for playoff games. They actually had "World Series Rate" on the sign but it wasn't posted. (Sorry Yankees fans, couldn't resist.)

I've actually read some blurbs that the rate is going to go up because the lots have only been half full. It's the municipality that runs the lots, not the Yankees. You know it's bad when even New Yorkers won't pay it.

Silly to drive to Yankee Stadium...much better to take the B-D-4 or the Metro-North. I'm coming from South Jersey so I either take a Boltbus or the NJ Transit and then the D. Wouldn't dream of driving with all of the tolls and parking and traffic.

Leave a comment:

• DN4L
    replied
    Originally posted by KurtDman24 View Post
    I just found out what the Yankees are going to charge for parking this year, if the "Baseball Parking" website is to be believed. Wow.:headbeat: Definitely take the train.

http://www.ballparkeguides.com/blog.html

What's the latest on parking fees for 2012?

Leave a comment:

• The Korean
    replied
    Metro North from Grand Central is pretty cheap, cheaper than parking!'

If you live in the city of course.

Leave a comment:

• KurtDman24
    replied
    Yankee Stadium Parking in 2011

I just found out what the Yankees are going to charge for parking this year, if the "Baseball Parking" website is to be believed. Wow.:headbeat: Definitely take the train.

http://www.ballparkeguides.com/blog.html

Leave a comment:

• NJYankeeFan
    replied
    Staten Island is just a highway. Much less crowded than Midtown Manhattan.

Leave a comment:

• KurtDman24
    replied
    Originally posted by The Korean View Post
    You'd be surprised how late NJ transit runs. Maybe not SEPTA.
    With SEPTA in this case you'd be talking about the Regional Rail line, the R7 I believe. Wouldn't be bad for getting from central Philly to a Yankees game, but I don't know that the Regional Rail trains run that late getting back. Generally the last one runs at around 12:30 AM, would probably be too late after a night game.

Leave a comment:

• Blue387
    replied
    I'm not too interested in a food thread, but if there are restaurants along the way when travelling to NYC, such as near where there's parking, that seems fine.
    How about beefsteak?
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/30/di...pagewanted=all

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X