Yankees Trade Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yankees Trade Options

I am one of those conspiracy theorists that always enjoys thinking of the "what-if"s and possible moves my team could make. I am currently thinking about this (again, this is just an idea, I'm curious of other people's thoughts):

First, let me say that I am a huge fan of Robinson Cano, but I am intrigued by what's going on in Washington. Alfonso Soriano is bent on playing second base, but they have an established second baseman there, and they want Soriano to move to Left field. Now, Soriano still has an apartment in NY, and he has always said he would like to come back. My thought is, in a 3 team deal, let's move Cano to a team that could use him with potentially too many outfielders, move said outfielder to D.C., and bring Soriano back to the Big Apple. Cano is a steal right now, and I would love to see Soriano back in pinstripes.

Hi Bronxbommers and welcome! Always great to have another Yankee fan here.

Until pretty recently, I was a very big advocate of bringing Soriano back. However, I did not want Soriano back to play 2B. I wanted to stick him in the OF. He's a terrible defensive 2Bman, and Cano has the makings of pretty good defensive 2Bman. Cano will never have the power/speed combination of Soriano, but I do think he'll become a good hitter in his own right (nothing to scott at a .297 average as a 22 year old rookie 2Bman). At this point, I'd rather have Cano's youth, cheapness, and potential, than Soriano.

Comment

While Soriano has power, he has awful plate discipline. I remember his last playoff series with the Yanks - he swung at every low and outside pitch that was thrown to him, and most of them were about a foot off the plate. Both Cano and Soriano have problems in the field, but at least Cano's problems can be blamed on inexperience. Soriano has the same problems now that he had as a rookie.

Comment

Originally posted by SD Bomber Fan
        While Soriano has power, he has awful plate discipline. I remember his last playoff series with the Yanks - he swung at every low and outside pitch that was thrown to him, and most of them were about a foot off the plate. Both Cano and Soriano have problems in the field, but at least Cano's problems can be blamed on inexperience. Soriano has the same problems now that he had as a rookie.
        Soriano was ghastly in that postseason. Seemingly every AB he would chase some ugly breaking stuff, low and very away for strike three. Then Tony Clark seemed to do his best Soriano impression in the '04 ALCS.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronxbommers
          I am one of those conspiracy theorists that always enjoys thinking of the "what-if"s and possible moves my team could make. I am currently thinking about this (again, this is just an idea, I'm curious of other people's thoughts):

First, let me say that I am a huge fan of Robinson Cano, but I am intrigued by what's going on in Washington. Alfonso Soriano is bent on playing second base, but they have an established second baseman there, and they want Soriano to move to Left field. Now, Soriano still has an apartment in NY, and he has always said he would like to come back. My thought is, in a 3 team deal, let's move Cano to a team that could use him with potentially too many outfielders, move said outfielder to D.C., and bring Soriano back to the Big Apple. Cano is a steal right now, and I would love to see Soriano back in pinstripes.
          Maybe if we were getting something else in the deal, say from the first team, who is getting Cano. Because Soriano for Cano is not a very good trade.
          "Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support, not illumination."
          -Vin Scully

Comment

You are right Bronxbommers , the Nats want to get rid of Soriano and his selfish attitude but want to get and OF in return and I don't think the yanks would be willing to trade either Matsui , Damon or Sheffield but unfortunately there are more trade rumors including Nats 2nd basemen Jose Vidro than including Soriano.

Comment

I don't really know why anyone would want Soriano back. He's got putrid OBPs and didn't do squat away from hitter's happy Arlington last year. To make matters worse, he's being a jerk and refusing to move to the outfield even though he's worse defensively at 2B than my grandmother would be.

The A-Rod trade looks better every day.

Comment

Sori coming back to the Bronx is something I just cannot see happening in a trade.

Cashman is bent on getting younger and Sori's 29 now I believe.
                Besides, there's really no reason to trade Cano right now.
                He's still 22 and shows good promise. I gotta admit I'm in love in those line drives he hits into the gaps for 2baggers. 34 Doubles for a rookie is damn promising!

I wouldn't make the deal to trade Cano in this situation.
                "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

Thanks for the insight, guys. I have to agree, Soriano is a huge liability in the field, and it's not as if the Yankees are in need of another bat. Cano has too many upsides to give away, and the main thing we need is pitching, unless our staff reahes all of it's potential, and that is definately yet to be seen.

Comment

Cano

I'm looking for Cano to have a break out season. He's going to be key to a title run.

Comment

O.K., enough about Cano, how bout this: Sheffied for Manny? I know Manny has been saying he wants a trade, and we all know Sheffield is pissed about something every other minute. Boston gets a much cheaper outfielder, and we get a guy who will pound out RBIs. One disgruntled outfielder for another. Any thoughts?

Comment

O.K., enough about Cano, how bout this: Sheffied for Manny? I know Manny has been saying he wants a trade, and we all know Sheffield is pissed about something every other minute. Boston gets a much cheaper outfielder, and we get a guy who will pound out RBIs. One disgruntled outfielder for another. Any thoughts?
                        I'd pass.

For one, Sheff only has one year and an option remaining on his contract. Manny is still making a ton of $$$ for the next couple of years. Also, while Sheff may be disgruntled at times, I wouldn't compare his attitude to Manny's. Manny has been prone to not running out groundballs, he's lazy... hell he's the third or fourth highest paid player in the game on a yearly basis and showed up to spring training a week late. To me, that's disgraceful. Sheff has done nothing but play hard for us and would never pull crap like that. And yeah, I know that he dogged it earlier in his career in Milwaukee. He was an immature kid then. He wants to be in New York.

Comment

There is no way in hell Epstein would take Sheff for Manny.
                          Manny for Sheff ...doesn't even sound right. Cashman calls me up and I'm Epstein...I do this

I don't care how much Manny doesn't want to play for the BoSox he still produces day in and day out. Sheff meanwhile threatens the GM.
                          Manny also shows no signs of aging currently and Sheff's body is about 50 and every day he's on the field he ages 10 fold.
                          "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

Allright, so both sides seem pretty against the whole Manny for Sheffield idea. I'm curious, then, what, if anything, do the Yankees need to be doing? Our one glaring weakness is starting pitching (which I don't personally believe is going to be a weakness, because I think between Johnson, Mussina, Chacon, Wang, Pavano, Wright and Small, we look pretty stacked). Do the Yankees need to be looking anywhere right now to make improvements?

Comment

Allright, so both sides seem pretty against the whole Manny for Sheffield idea. I'm curious, then, what, if anything, do the Yankees need to be doing? Our one glaring weakness is starting pitching (which I don't personally believe is going to be a weakness, because I think between Johnson, Mussina, Chacon, Wang, Pavano, Wright and Small, we look pretty stacked). Do the Yankees need to be looking anywhere right now to make improvements?
                              I'm all for let's finish Spring Training.
                              I see nothing really wrong with this team.
                              Starting Pitching might be the weak link, but I feel there are players on this team which could step up and into that Starting Roll.

The only question mark I feel we have is Pavano. And I personally do not like him. I think he's soft and his heart isn't in pitching for NY. My deal with him is trade his pretty arse to San Diego where he could get plenty of sun and great manicures.

This team doesn't need to make any trades, as it is. That's my 2cents.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X