Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you expect from Joe Girardi in 2008?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you expect from Joe Girardi in 2008?

I couldn't figure out a perfect way to start this thread, so I figured I'd just ask anyway. Since 1996, we've all known only Joe Torre as Yankee manager. He's lasted longer than any other manager under Big Stein, and she's taken us to the playoffs every year he's been here, which consequently, has increased the number of Yankee fans since then.

However, this never came without criticism, since he's been accused of overusing some relievers while underusing others. Some have even said he's slow to react to a pitcher getting lit up.

From Joe Girardi, what do you expect? Will have favor his vets and keep them in games, even ones where they can't hit or field? How do you think he'll handle the various personalities there? What do you think he'll do with the lineup, including when guys aren't hitting well? Do you feel that he'll do things with the bullpen that we had complained about with Joe Torre? Or do you feel that more pitchers will get a regular workout and not be either overused or going stale?

Whatever the various issues are on your mind about how Torre handled things, please provide sound arguments as to why you feel that Joe Girardi will either be similar or different in 2008. If you can, why those similarities or differences will be a good or bad thing.

Many thanks.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
    I couldn't figure out a perfect way to start this thread, so I figured I'd just ask anyway. Since 1996, we've all known only Joe Torre as Yankee manager. He's lasted longer than any other manager under Big Stein, and she's taken us to the playoffs every year he's been here, which consequently, has increased the number of Yankee fans since then.

However, this never came without criticism, since he's been accused of overusing some relievers while underusing others. Some have even said he's slow to react to a pitcher getting lit up.

From Joe Girardi, what do you expect? Will have favor his vets and keep them in games, even ones where they can't hit or field? How do you think he'll handle the various personalities there? What do you think he'll do with the lineup, including when guys aren't hitting well? Do you feel that he'll do things with the bullpen that we had complained about with Joe Torre? Or do you feel that more pitchers will get a regular workout and not be either overused or going stale?

Whatever the various issues are on your mind about how Torre handled things, please provide sound arguments as to why you feel that Joe Girardi will either be similar or different in 2008. If you can, why those similarities or differences will be a good or bad thing.

Many thanks.
    I expect a change, not drastic, but a change that definatly will be felt. I think the Yankees are going to have alot of fire under Girardi, something they lost under Torre in recent years. I think there will be more of the simple stuff, and overall I think this team is going to be more focused. I think the bullpen is going to be used alot better, and I think some of the pitchers are going to thrive under Girardi. Alot of people are sort of counting this team out early, I know the Post gave the prediction that the Yankees were going to have a 90-72 record. But Girardi pushed a team not supposed to do anything to the brink of contention until the last week of the season in '06, imagine what he could do with this team. So I'm expecting a World Series this year, that's just my opinion.
    The 27 Time World Series Champions New York Yankees!

Comment

Since I have read that he can be pretty hard nosed, I think various confrontations may occur with some of the big egos we have in our team.
      And if that will be with A-Rod for example, it will be Girardi who will get out, not our 250 million dollar man.

Comment

I don't think this is going to be a good fit. Joe brings one year of managerial experience to the table and that single year was fraught with bad relations with the ownership. Not being able to get along with the Marlins ownership group doesn't inspire confidence that you'll be able to get along with the Steinbrenner bunch. We've also been able to preview some of what's on the horizon in the debacle with the Devil Rays this spring. The Yankees have enough to worry about without going around starting wars with cellar-dwelling teams like Tampa Bay.

I think Girardi's tenure will look like McHale's Navy. If he makes it past the All-Star break it will be a shock. Him and Hank are going to butt heads. Count on it...
        =======================
        Senior Circuit. Pure baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Yankeefan90 View Post
          I expect a change, not drastic, but a change that definatly will be felt. I think the Yankees are going to have alot of fire under Girardi, something they lost under Torre in recent years. I think there will be more of the simple stuff, and overall I think this team is going to be more focused. I think the bullpen is going to be used alot better, and I think some of the pitchers are going to thrive under Girardi. Alot of people are sort of counting this team out early, I know the Post gave the prediction that the Yankees were going to have a 90-72 record. But Girardi pushed a team not supposed to do anything to the brink of contention until the last week of the season in '06, imagine what he could do with this team. So I'm expecting a World Series this year, that's just my opinion.
          Expecting? Hoping yes, but expecting?

I think this might be another disappointing year for you then.

Comment

I expect that if the team gets any pitching Girardi will last the year, the staff, the starters I should say, have to be suspect.
            :gt:gt

Comment

his gonna bring us a championship of course??
              “Tomorrow, 7:05 p.m., we've got to take care of business.” - A-Rod

Comment

If a sox fan may chime in Torre always struck me as more of a strategist and I think Girardi will bring a bit of intensity and fire to that ballclub.

Comment

What to expect...

I expect tough year for Giradi because of the enormous amount of pressure on him.

It remains to be seen how he'll handle it.

Comment

Originally posted by JerseySoxFan19 View Post
                    If a sox fan may chime in Torre always struck me as more of a strategist and I think Girardi will bring a bit of intensity and fire to that ballclub.
                    Strategist in what way? I remember a few years ago (2005 or so), some BoSox fans here said that they'd wished they'd had Torre. Yet the previously maligned Francona seems to be working out quite well for you folks.

Please elaborate.
                    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

Well what I mean is he didn't seem like the guy who would chew you out or shout to pump his players up and Girardi seems like that type of guy. Please excuse me if I'm wrong I just think Girardi will bring some fire to NY.

Comment

Originally posted by JerseySoxFan19 View Post
                        Well what I mean is he didn't seem like the guy who would chew you out or shout to pump his players up and Girardi seems like that type of guy. Please excuse me if I'm wrong I just think Girardi will bring some fire to NY.
                        I sometimes think that Torre is too forgiving. I guess that his way of dealing with the egos in the team (read, guys making >$15m/yr) is to let them get away with a lot. If someone isn't hitting or fielding well, why keep them in the game? I say to take them out. You can always make an excuse with the press later on.

I don't think that anyone needs to be chewed out publicly, and if that happens in the clubhouse, we'll never know. However, someone needs to hear about it if they play sloppily in a game, I feel.

Fire is great, makes him like a spark plug. However, he should make sure that the ensuing fire doesn't burn anybody, be it the team or himself. He should ignite a spark which helps to fuel the team to win, not burn out anyone's confidence or enthusiasm.

There's positive and negative criticism. I presume by now that Girardi's learned his lesson that he's not dealing with kids here, and after having been in the YES booth for awhile, he should know how to deal with management, including the Steinbrenners.

If there's logic in his decisions, he knows when to call for a walk, pitchout, when a pitcher hasn't got it that day, who to call in and not to keep re-using the same relief pitchers while keeping others practically being forgotten about, then we may have a few changes for the better.

Comment

I agree on the relief pitching thing. I mean Torre used Procter so much I thought he was gonna have a heart-attack right on the mound.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X