Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hank pushes for Joba in rotation

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

I have said too, to keep Joba in the penn for the time being. But desperate times ask for desperate messures. I think it is the best option that we have right now to move him to the starting rotation.

But it is typically Hank to talk like this. Maybe he should manage the team. What do we need Girardi for. Hank wants to be a Ted Turner look-a-like?

Comment

Originally posted by Yankeebiscuitfan View Post
      I have said too, to keep Joba in the penn for the time being. But desperate times ask for desperate messures. I think it is the best option that we have right now to move him to the starting rotation.

But it is typically Hank to talk like this. Maybe he should manage the team. What do we need Girardi for. Hank wants to be a Ted Turner look-a-like?
      Or....HIS DAD!! The problem you have if you don't spend the time prepareing him for the rotation you risk him gettin hurt bad then you don't have him at all and risk his carrer!
      39 AL Pennants • 26 World Series titles
      2003 • 2001 • 2000 • 1999•1998 • 1996 •1981 • 1978 •1977 • 1976 • 1964 • 1963 •1962 • 1961 • 1960 •1958•1957 • 1956 • 1955 • 1953 • 1952 • 1951 • 1950 • 1949•1947 • 1943 • 1942 • 1941•1939 • 1938 • 1937 • 1936•1932 • 1928 • 1927 • 1926 •1923 • 1922 • 1921

:bowdown:1•3•4•5•7•8•8•9•10•15•16•23•32•37•42•44•49 & soon 2•6•20•21•51•42

Comment

Dumb idea at this point. You can't just thow him in and expect him to last the whole season.

Comment

Biscuit- So, you feel Yanks are in "desperate times"?...Why? How did they get into this posiion? Do you possibly think the so called G.M. is responsible, or did you always feel that starting a season with 40% of your SP being made of unproven rookies was the way to go?...In closing, anyone who thinks Stein Jr. knows ANYTHING about baseball moves, knows nothing about baseball....Yankee management is as confused as in the "mad" days of interference by George.

Comment

If Hank isn't a chip off the old block, I don't know who is.

You can't have a owner running fantasy fire drills during April. Girardi has forgot more about the game then Hankie knows. Yankees have made the playoffs 13 straight years. I'm happy with that.

Comment

Hank is a lot of talk, but he's not as impulsive as his dad.

This is really a non-story. Sometimes the guy opens his mouth without thinking.

Cash and Hank have talked, it's taken care of. Seems like Hank just wasn't fully aware of the reasons for Joba ever being in the pen.

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2008/04/2...the-same-page/

The Yankees were fine with a "crazy" Boss back in the late 90s. In fact, I think Hank is less of a distraction/issue than George was back in that time period. Cashman has taken on the job of being the buffer between Ownership and management/coaching.

I really hope they re-sign Cash as I don't know what will happen if Hank doesn't have people to keep him in check like Cash and his team have.
              New York Yankees
              New York Rangers
              New York Giants

Comment

You want Cashman re-hired because you don't know what will happen without him?...I'll be glad to tell you exactly what will happen; the New York Yankees will continue to watch the Boston Red Sox wind up and win the World Series every few years, while the Yankees keep spending big bucks in a losing effort to dethrone the Sox.......Look, the G.M of Yankees has 2 BASIC responsibilities...1. Win a World Series, or if not possible, 2. Improve the club each year until #1 is accomplished....Take a look at the last 7 years and see if #2 has taken place since #1 has been a failure; team has gone from 3 WS wins to 2 WS loses, to Division winner, to team that cannot even win the Division. Does that sound like the GM has been doing a good job? Has the ballooning payroll helped? Has any of the deals helped?..The team has been going in the wrong direction...The only reaso Cashman won 3 WS years ago is because he inherited players signed by Michael, Watson et al....How many GMs do you know of, who in more than 10 years have NEVER had to look for a closer, Shortstop or Catcher?..There is no luckier GM in baseball than Cashman. It's time for a change and has been for years unless you enjoy looking up to the Sox every year.

Comment

Cashman has made his share of mistakes, sure. But the team was capable of winning every year, just ran into bad luck (and some questionable managing) in the playoffs.

Boston has made their share of mistakes - Matt Clement, Edgar Rentaria, Julio Lugo, etc. And a lot of Boston's moves turned out to be lucky ones... David Ortiz, being forced to take Mike Lowell as a salary dump, Beckett actually turning into a good pitcher when he was atrocious in 2006, etc.

Cash's hand was also forced very often when it came to moves/trades/signings. It was Steinbrenner that made the back-breaking moves of trading for guys like Kevin Brown, Randy Johnson, etc.

With more power and autonomy, Cashman has done an amazing job building up the Yankee minor league system into a powerhouse in a very short period of time. He's smartly held on to our younger talent as opposed to trading them for quick fixes that still wouldn't guarantee success.

The reason that the Yankees have watched the Red Sox win two World Series is as much about the fact that the playoffs are a crap shoot as it is about great team construction.

The Red Sox didn't even make the playoffs two years ago, and both times they won the WS were at the brink of elimination down 3-0 and 3-1. Had luck been on the other team's side in those series, everyone would be talking about how the Red Sox are still a big failure.

You can't take away what they've done, but to imply that the Yankees are always "looking up" at the Red Sox is not only wrong (the Yankees have finished first a lot more than the Sox have) but it's silly to say it's because the Red Sox have made wiser moves or are better constructed.

If not for finding incredibly fortuitous superstars like Ortiz, Lowell, Okajima, etc out of players who were non-factors when acquired, they wouldn't be in the position they are in. Take the Red Sox upper management behind closed doors, threaten their lives and ask them if they thought they'd get ANYTHING above average performance from any of those three guys at the time they were acquired and see what kind of answer you get.
                  New York Yankees
                  New York Rangers
                  New York Giants

Comment

Joba should be that 8th inning pitcher period
                    He would be the key to victory exactly like Mariano and Wettland of 96

Comment

if you're gonna move him to the rotation, you gotta do it during the offseason. They'll have to mortgage their season by sendiing him to scranton to stretch him out if they move him to the rotation now. And, hes still on an innings limit. If he's in the rotation, he'll reach his 150 limit in august and they'll have to shut him down for good right then. Plus, while he's in scranton or in the big league rotation, who's gonna pitch the 8th inning? Farnsworth, Hawkins, Bruney, Traber, Albaladejo? Whatever we do with Joba, we got biger problems. We've got to hit and start pitching, becuause Boston is running away with this division.

Comment

Pinstripes- You answered my post by stating the reason for the Sox' winning 2 recent WS is due to the fact that they were luckier than the Yanks?...Yankees have won 26 World Series.They did not win them because of luck. They were won because of talent...You mentioned all the recent 1st place finishes in the Division standings by Yanks over Sox...Sadly, they have been meaningless.Wouldn't you be happier if Yanks wound up as wild card winner every year but won 2 World Series in the last 4 years?....You seem to be accepting being an also ran as some sort of award. It isn't....Your loyalty to Cashman is misplaced.

Comment

Originally posted by dougj1 View Post
                          Biscuit- So, you feel Yanks are in "desperate times"?...Why? How did they get into this posiion? Do you possibly think the so called G.M. is responsible, or did you always feel that starting a season with 40% of your SP being made of unproven rookies was the way to go?...In closing, anyone who thinks Stein Jr. knows ANYTHING about baseball moves, knows nothing about baseball....Yankee management is as confused as in the "mad" days of interference by George.
                          I think that Stein jr. is the worst thing that could happen to the Yankees.

I do not pretend to know much about baseball. All I know is that I love the game and I will tell what my opinion is.

IMO Cashman tries to do a good job in juvenating the team, but that takes time. Who will tell that if Joba will get into the starter role, he will not have the same setback as Hughes and Kennedy?
                          Last edited by Yankeebiscuitfan; 04-22-2008, 02:20 PM.

Comment

This would all be a non-issue had we gotten a good starter this winter, or in winters past. However, everyone wanted the sun, moon and stars for either Santana, Haren or Bedard.

Both top relievers and top starters don't grow on trees, and Joba will need to go through a lineup a few times--something we've never seen him do at the MLB level--before we can trust him in the rotation.

In the meanwhile, focusing on getting Hughes and Kennedy up to par would certainly help, since we can't have 60% of the rotation (Hughes, Kennedy and Moose) being questionable. Wang and Andy are the only ones who are reliable right now (as in reliably *GOOD*).
                            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                            THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Hank couldn't carry George's shoes
                              Hank is a pretense of George
                              He's always mouthing to show he's in action but knows nothing about the game

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X