X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• soberdennis
    replied
    Originally posted by Urbanshocker13 View Post
    My dad was he told all about it, he is a New York Football Giants fan. It wasn't a good time for him sportswiss, he was also in Vietnam at the time.
    That wasn't a good time to be a Giants fan either with the Jets winning the SB. But back to baseball,you had to be happy for the Mets. But when you were a Yankee fan surrounded by Mets fans in school, you were sure to never hear the last of it.

Leave a comment:

• Urbanshocker13
    replied
    Originally posted by soberdennis View Post
    Can you imagine being a Yankee fan in 1969?
    My dad was he told all about it, he is a New York Football Giants fan. It wasn't a good time for him sportswiss, he was also in Vietnam at the time.

Leave a comment:

• soberdennis
    replied
    I went with the CBS years. Both teams had their share of stars-Munson, Murcer, Stottlemyre in the CBS era, Mattingly, Winfield in the 80s.
    But I first became a fan in the beginning of the CBS era. CBS did nothing to replace their aging stars. Murcer was no Mantle, and he was the closest thing to a decent outfielder that we had. Howard-Munson link was Jake Gibbs and Frank Fernandez. Richardson and Kubek retired to be replaced by Horace Clarke and Gene Michael. Third Base was a revolving door between Boyer and Nettles. Houk became a good manager when he took this bunch of misfits to a second place finish in 1970. Sure we had decent starting pitching and a bullpen by committee which helped(McDaniel, Aker, Hamilton). But Phil Linz, Bobby Cox, Bill Robinson, and Hector Lopez certainly were not the same quality of player the Yankees were used to.
    Can you imagine being a Yankee fan in 1969?

Leave a comment:

• Urbanshocker13
    replied
    Originally posted by stejay View Post
    The CBS years. At least in the 80's to early 90's we had Donnie Baseball to cheer us up.
    How about Bobby during the CBS years?

Leave a comment:

• stejay
    replied
    The CBS years. At least in the 80's to early 90's we had Donnie Baseball to cheer us up.

Leave a comment:

• Biggtone23
    replied
    I'd say the CBS years were worst. During the 80s were at least competive most of the time. There was a bad four year stretch from 89-92 but during most of the eighties the Yankees finished at least single digits out of first. From 1965-1971 the closest the Yankees came to that was 15 games out.

Leave a comment:

• Gehrig27
    replied
    I have to go with the 80's-early 90's. Although I wasn't around to see the CBS years, my dad was, yet he shudders every time someone brings up the 80's. I just think that the team became a laughingstock, it wasn't just being bad; it was all of the chaos that surrounded the team. Players coming and going, over-priced free agents, terrible pitching, and George getting banned while his "baseball people" got rid of promising prospects for bums like Ken Phelps. I was born in 88' but I still remember alot of the terrible things that happened in the early 90's and the cast of characters shuffling in and out each year. This dark age in Yankees history can be summed up with one game: the Andy Hawkins no hitter debacle.

Leave a comment:

• Urbanshocker13
    replied
    Originally posted by bigtime39 View Post
    Now, now Urban: you could have responded to the "Hank is apparently demented" part of my post, but you chose to go...well, you know where you chose to go!
    Glad I don't have Oscar Gamble hair, though! Looks like the hat he's wearing is a couple sizes too big for his head, and still doesn't contain his hair! Since I'm wearing size 7 3/4 hats with the dome chromed, I doubt I could get a hat big enough for that hairstyle!
    I just didn't want it to turn into another annoying debate, someone responds and it goes back & forth for 3 pages. Hank is a retard, we have gone on and on about that too.
    Mostly I wanted an excuse to post Oscar Gamble's afro, I been wanting too for a while. Easly the best Afro in Yankee and baseball history!! Beats Reggies press confress by allot! Mel Hal's Jerry Curl was allot better then Dion Sanders but I couldn't find a good photo of it when he is in a Yankee uniform. Hey! We have the same hat size!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• bigtime39
    replied
    Originally posted by Urbanshocker13 View Post
    murrrrrrrrrrrrrfrrrrrr..........I don't want to go down this road again!....We already know both sides of this argument. I don't care! Your team is in first place, I thought we heard the last of you for a while!....I even agreed with you on another thread!!!!!.....please let's not talk about this again!!!

Come on! Let's hear about Jesse Barfield,Steve Balboni, Kevin Maas, Bobby Murcer ECT. To help inspire ypu here is Oscar Gambles Afro and Dion Sanders Jerrycurl!:

http://baseball-fever.com/images/attach/jpg.gif
    Now, now Urban: you could have responded to the "Hank is apparently demented" part of my post, but you chose to go...well, you know where you chose to go!
    Glad I don't have Oscar Gamble hair, though! Looks like the hat he's wearing is a couple sizes too big for his head, and still doesn't contain his hair! Since I'm wearing size 7 3/4 hats with the dome chromed, I doubt I could get a hat big enough for that hairstyle!

Leave a comment:

• jimmyjimjimz
    replied
    I don't really have much of a say, because I was born in 1983, but the 80's-early 90's were really horrible, in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Urbanshocker13
    replied
    murrrrrrrrrrrrrfrrrrrr..........I don't want to go down this road again!....We already know both sides of this argument. I don't care! Your team is in first place, I thought we heard the last of you for a while!....I even agreed with you on another thread!!!!!.....please let's not talk about this again!!!

Come on! Let's hear about Jesse Barfield,Steve Balboni, Kevin Maas, Bobby Murcer ECT. To help inspire ypu here is Oscar Gambles Afro and Dion Sanders Jerrycurl!:

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• bigtime39
    replied
    This thread goes to something I've been pointing out for a long time: outside of the playoffs, where small sample size creates statistical oddities, the only way the Yankees can be kept out of the post-season is when their ownership is bad/out of control.
    You should thank your lucky stars that MLB has never figured that out. Otherwise, you'd be operating under an NFL-style economic system right now.

Right now, there are 29 teams right now hoping that Hank Steinbrenner is even crazier than his old man was.

Personally, I'm thankful for the CBS period, as it coincided with the rise of the sixties Orioles teams. Without CBS, they might have finished second every year...and in a no divisions, no wild card system, how fun is that?

Leave a comment:

• oldschoolyankee
    replied
    Originally posted by HomeRunHomer View Post
    Actually, the Yankees made another playoff appearance in that decade.

In 1980, they won 103 games and won the A.L. East.

You forgot about that one.
    Chalk that omission to the early onset of old age !!

Leave a comment:

• Urbanshocker13
    replied
    Originally posted by locke40 View Post
    I think the CBS years were worse because they were responsible for the decay and then ultimate demise of the greatest Stadium in history.
    I agree with that, Like really cheap "renovations" like a crappy paint job to the front of the stadium.

Leave a comment:

• locke40
    replied
    I think the CBS years were worse because they were responsible for the decay and then ultimate demise of the greatest Stadium in history.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X