Joba...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joba...

Ever since the season started Mike and the Mad Dog have both been on Joba's case about doing a celebratory fist pump after he strikes someone out to end an inning. They also said it is just as bad as a hitter standing at the plate watching a homerun fly out of the park.
    I don't think theres any comparison here. It's like in football if a middle line backer makes a huge tackle to stuff a run hes gonna get up and celebrate which is fine but if a player catches a touchdown pass then does a dance he is wrong.
    What are your thoughts?

I have absolutely no problem with Joba's antics. As long as he's not pointing and screaming at people and he's just pumping himself and the Yankees up, I am all for it, I love it. You can't compare that to that scumbag Manny's BS.

Comment

Originally posted by Mission 27 View Post
      I have absolutely no problem with Joba's antics. As long as he's not pointing and screaming at people and he's just pumping himself and the Yankees up, I am all for it, I love it. You can't compare that to that scumbag Manny's BS.
      you are a homer. If you hit like Manny, you can watch them too

Comment

What Joba does is exactly the same as Manny. Calling Manny a scumbag shows me that you have a problem with players doing that stuff. If Joba wasn't on the Yankees the Yankee fans, including you, wouldn't like it. I hate it when Paplebon does it or when Beckett does it but I can't make fun of the Red Sox for being bush league when Joba is doing the exact same thing.

The reason Mike Francesa has a problem with it is that it goes against Yankee tradition. The professionalism on the field that the Yankees exhibit is part of the teams history that goes back to Lou Gehrig. Dimaggio, Henrich, Mantle, Mattingly, Jeter, Posada and Mariano are all continuations of that tradition. Watching the game yesterday David Cone had a problem with it. Mariano had a great quote in Buster Olney's book about celebrations on the mound. After watching a pitcher celebrate on the mound on TV in the locker room he said "have some respect for the game, have some respect for yourself." Joba should ask Mariano about that.

Also, Delucci was 100% right when he brought up that the day before when he hit a 3 run homer off Joba he just put his head down and ran around the bases. When Joba went nuts it was the 8th inning with a 3 run lead, 2 outs and no men on base. What was such a big deal about that? Joba looked like an ass after his seizure on the mound. He was trying to show up the guy that destroyed him less than 24 hours before. Delucci's home run won the game, Joba's strikeout just another out. Delucci handled himself like a professional, Joba did not.

I don't care that other pitchers on other teams do it, this is about the Yankees. And being young is not a good excuse either, rookies should know their place. I'm not saying everyone has to be as classy and dignified as Mariano. And I'm not really a corporate Yankee fan that wants all business all the time but I don't like our players showing up the other team. It's bush league.

Scott
        I told you not to be stupid you moron.

Comment

I don't really see a fist pump showing up a hitter. I guess it depends on the situation, but I know I'd get pumped if I just struck out a hitter and did my job perfectly. The fist pump after Delluci was a little questionable, but Joba got excited. I don't really see the Yankees as being a more professional team than any other, especially this year. I mean really, how many teams have a bench clearing brawl in Spring Training?
          I remember last year when Manny watched the HR he hit off Proctor, that pissed alot of Yankee fans off, so I think there's a team bias for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike27 View Post
            I don't really see a fist pump showing up a hitter. I guess it depends on the situation, but I know I'd get pumped if I just struck out a hitter and did my job perfectly. The fist pump after Delluci was a little questionable, but Joba got excited. I don't really see the Yankees as being a more professional team than any other, especially this year. I mean really, how many teams have a bench clearing brawl in Spring Training?
            I remember last year when Manny watched the HR he hit off Proctor, that pissed alot of Yankee fans off, so I think there's a team bias for this.
            The bench clearing brawl was another example of young players doing stupid things. Shelly Duncan was wrong for the way he slid into Iwamura. Mike and Crhis brought this up on the show today. Girardi was criticizing the Tampa player that slid hard into home and broke the catchers wrist. He said that's not how Yankees play the game, that's not the "Yankee way". When you hear annoncers or players say things about the "Yankee way" they're talking about the professionalism they show on the field.

Another way of looking at the Joba/Delucci thing is what if the homer and strikeout happened in reverse? If Joba did the crazy fist pump/twirl on the mound and the next day Delucci hit a 3 run homer off him how big of an ass would Joba have looked like then? You don't do stuff like that because the next day it might be your turn to get smoked.

Scott

Comment

I have no problems with Joba or Manny.

I don't care if Manny poses at home. If you don't want him posing...then don't let him beat you.

What Joba does to me is different. He's not showing anyone up...he's pumped up.
              IMO, nothing wrong with showing emotions. I enjoy the human aspect it gives the sport.

No qualms here.
              "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

There's a great story about the Yanks hiring some hothead as a coach, and the guy got upset over a call and starting screaming and throwing bats all over the field. Clipper got in his face and told him to be quiet and pick all that stuff up, right away. The coach was totally shocked and did as he was told. After things had calmed down, Clipper told the coach that Yankees didn't get upset when things went against them, they hit home runs.
                I guess somebody should have told Bill Dickey about this before he hit a guy from behind like a coward after taking a hard slide and broke the guy's jaw, but I think Clipper's idea is the Yankee way that people keep talking about.
                "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

i have no problems with any player showing emotion OR posing for that fact...if i was Manny, Bonds etc i`d stand there and admire my handywork and if i was a pitcher i`d yell and thump my fist after any strike out...the human element is a good thing in sports
                  BALLGAME OVER, YANKEES WIN...THEEEEEEEEEEEE YANKEES WIN
                  “You wouldn't have won if we'd beaten you.”

Comment

The only reason to pump your fist if your pitching: If the game is tied or if your holding a short lead in late innings, and you k a batter.

The only reason to stare at the ball or whatever after you hit a homer: if the game is tied or if your behind by a run in late innings, or obviously if it's a walkoff.

Fist pumping should not be used for first inning antics, blow outs, etc, etc... it has to be a meaningful event.
                    Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

Comment

Gossage weighs in on Joba:

By BOB KLAPISCH
                      The question was brought to Goose Gossage because who else to judge whether Joba Chamberlain was being a jerk on Thursday, pumping his fist and pirouetting after striking out the Indians' David Dellucci as if he'd toppled the Berlin Wall?

Once upon a time, the Goose was the game's hardest-throwing closer, who liked nothing more than to intimidate hitters. Not just throw the fastball by them – crush them psychologically. And Gossage, of course, was a Yankee, which means he and Chamberlain come from the same bloodlines.

But Goose always has hated showboaters, past and especially present day, so when Dellucci told reporters he thought Chamberlain's response was immature and "bush," Gossage didn't hesitate to say, "I'm on Dellucci's side.
                      "That's just not the Yankee way, what Joba did. Let everyone else do that stuff, but not a Yankee," Gossage said by telephone on Saturday.

Scott

Comment

My humble opinion: It's a whole bunch of whining about a whole bunch of nothing. Almost every pitcher pumps his fist after ending an inning on a strikeout; there are some pitchers just as exuberant as Joba after a strikeout. Joba is known for displaying his emotions without reserve, and I for one enjoy seeing someone invest themselves so much into the game; someone who brings the fire and energy the team so desperately needs. Dellucci is the immature one for crying about the whole thing. He sounds like a little leaguer. And frankly, Gossage's idea that it's not the "Yankee way" to celebrate after a key out is ludicrous. Why is Jeter allowed to pump his fist after a nice play then? It's a different team then when Gossage played; they're now under a young manger and new boss, and the young guys are bringing a lot of enthusiasm to the clubhouse. Don't stifle that.

Comment

I whole heartedly second your humble opinion.

Comment

Manny doesn't hustle EVER. He gloats more than any hitter i've ever seen. He is a scum bag.

Dozens of pitchers act like Joba, they're not on the Yankees tho.

Comment

I think he should do it IN the dugout. Not on the mound. I dislike what he did personally, but if I were Joba, I'd do it. My first full year and K-ing a good hitter, I'd be happy. I wouldn't do his King Kong chest-pound though :twocents:.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X