Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johnnypapa
    replied
    Getting out of that bases loaded jam definitly showed me something. Kennedy is at 80 pitches at the bottom of the fifth.....be nice if the offense can put across a couple of runs to give him a chance to get the win. Or do they let him go another inning?

Leave a comment:

• johnnypapa
    replied
    I hope this kid shows something tonight......anything that will make me think he can pitch in NY and is not a young Ed Whitson.

Leave a comment:

• bigbadwolf
    replied
    Originally posted by sanket View Post
    In the beginning of the season it LOOKED as if both Kennedy and Hughes were able to play at this level.

Hughes shut down the Indians in relief and really impressed me last postseason in our only playoff victory.

Kennedy was awesome last September going seven innings a couple times and even winning a game.

Kennedy made an improvement in his start against the Rays. He got to the fifth inning, he didn't give up any big innings, and he did some serious damage control during that one jam where had the bases loaded and nobody out (he only gave up one run in that situation and it was a sac fly).

I think him and Hughes are going to be just fine down the stretch, these are just growing pains that will be for the best in the future. Every great starter has growing pains. Hughes and Kennedy are both going to be great.

In a few years, they'll be winning 20 games almost every season. Just my prediction, I've seen the best of Hughes (the almost no hitter vs. Texas and playoff game vs. Cleveland) and I've seen a lot of good stuff from Kennedy as well. Both have tremendous potential.

I am glad that we made the move to call up Rasner and it's really going to help our chances of getting back into postseason contention.
    I agree with your assessment of the situation.

Leave a comment:

• johnnypapa
    replied
    Originally posted by YankeeFanUK View Post
    thats Hanks wish not mine ..id rather be like the DBacks..young exciting team with quality starters...all i was saying was id rather have a young team who can mature together into a great ballclub

And you do know that to get one of those quality starters they traded away some of their young exciting players, right?

Leave a comment:

• YankeeFanUK
    replied
    Originally posted by johnnypapa View Post
    True.....been a Yankee fan since 1960.....had enough of the virtue of patience to sit through the likes of Jerry Kenny and Ross Moschitto so I can handle anything the Yankees throw at me now but....we are talking about a change in philosophy or direction as you put it and I'm not sure I want to become a fan of the Tampa Bay Rays. Been hearing a lot lately about how we should be more like the Tampa Bay Rays.....be careful what you wish for......
    thats Hanks wish not mine ..id rather be like the DBacks..young exciting team with quality starters...all i was saying was id rather have a young team who can mature together into a great ballclub

1960..an old timer, i like that ...you got me beat by 28 years ( 1988 for me )

Leave a comment:

• johnnypapa
    replied
    patience is a virtue my friend

True.....been a Yankee fan since 1960.....had enough of the virtue of patience to sit through the likes of Jerry Kenny and Ross Moschitto so I can handle anything the Yankees throw at me now but....we are talking about a change in philosophy or direction as you put it and I'm not sure I want to become a fan of the Tampa Bay Rays. Been hearing a lot lately about how we should be more like the Tampa Bay Rays.....be careful what you wish for......

Leave a comment:

• YankeeFanUK
    replied
    And what direction is that....south?
    patience is a virtue my friend

Leave a comment:

• johnnypapa
    replied
    i wouldnt trade away young guys like Hughes, Kennedy & Melky...Santana might win now but im patient enough to wait...i like the direction the Yanks are taking with youth ( Cano, Melky, Joba etc )
    And what direction is that....south?

Leave a comment:

• johnnypapa
    replied
    Originally posted by monkey333 View Post
    Or it could've been because he's good.

Yes.

What...AAA mvp?

"Analyzing every pitch doesn't help," he said. "You're on a bigger scale here."

Better get used to it Ian......

Leave a comment:

• YankeeFanUK
    replied
    i wouldnt trade away young guys like Hughes, Kennedy & Melky...Santana might win now but im patient enough to wait...i like the direction the Yanks are taking with youth ( Cano, Melky, Joba etc )

Leave a comment:

• monkey333
    replied
    ...yes Hughes threw that great game against Texas but that could have been a product of the league not knowing him...well they know him now.
    Or it could've been because he's good.

And Kennedy...well...do you see anything there?
    Yes.

Leave a comment:

• johnnypapa
    replied
    Originally posted by KCGHOST View Post
    It is unrealistic to expect rookie pitchers to come up and dominate. They have to be given time to take their lumps and learn. And in the last off-season there wasn't much pitching available after Santana. I guess you can fault Cashman for not pulling the trigger on the deal, but the Twins were asking for a ton and you were going to have to pony up some serious cash immediately to avoid Santana from walking at the end of the year.

I did not expect them to dominate....but I was hoping that they could at least compete. With eras over eight....Hughes and Kennedy are overmatched...if they are that far from competing at the major league level then you can fault Cashmen...which I do...for not getting Santana.

Leave a comment:

• johnnypapa
    replied
    Originally posted by Evangelion View Post
    How many people wanted to trade the farm system away for Santana back when the deal was being discussed?

I think Hank Steinbrenner for one....I wanted Santana myself. And if trading Hughes, Kennedy and Cabrera was the Yankee farm system then we are indeed in dire straits. IMO...you don't pass on one of the best lefthanders in the game for what really are unknowns...yes Hughes threw that great game against Texas but that could have been a product of the league not knowing him...well they know him now. And Kennedy...well...do you see anything there?
    Last edited by johnnypapa; 05-18-2008, 01:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sanket
    replied
    In the beginning of the season it LOOKED as if both Kennedy and Hughes were able to play at this level.

Hughes shut down the Indians in relief and really impressed me last postseason in our only playoff victory.

Kennedy was awesome last September going seven innings a couple times and even winning a game.

Kennedy made an improvement in his start against the Rays. He got to the fifth inning, he didn't give up any big innings, and he did some serious damage control during that one jam where had the bases loaded and nobody out (he only gave up one run in that situation and it was a sac fly).

I think him and Hughes are going to be just fine down the stretch, these are just growing pains that will be for the best in the future. Every great starter has growing pains. Hughes and Kennedy are both going to be great.

In a few years, they'll be winning 20 games almost every season. Just my prediction, I've seen the best of Hughes (the almost no hitter vs. Texas and playoff game vs. Cleveland) and I've seen a lot of good stuff from Kennedy as well. Both have tremendous potential.

I am glad that we made the move to call up Rasner and it's really going to help our chances of getting back into postseason contention.

Leave a comment:

• Evangelion
    replied
    Good question.....maybe trying to justify not getting Santana? And Cash will probably be out the door and the Yanks will be stuck with Kennedy and maybe even Hughes (I'm still a little doubtful about this whole eyeglasses and rib cage thing)....
    How many people wanted to trade the farm system away for Santana back when the deal was being discussed?

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X