Edwar Ramirez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
    Since the praises for Edwar are coming in nice and strong, I'm trying to find out how folks here feel that Girardi will and should use him. Two different things, since I'm asking how you would think he should be used, and what you think Girardi may end up doing.

Should he be given 2 innings if a starter can't go past the 5th inning, replacing Ohlendorf as the 2- or 3-inning guy? Should Ramirez come in during an inning, such as in the 6th when we have 2 RISP, 1 out?

I'm trying to guage how folks here feel that he should be used that would best benefit the Yankee team, getting us some much-needed wins.
    No. No. No. Edwar has a good thing going right now...we shouldn't try to see him extended. Torre did leave Edwar out there too long last season and Torre usually paid for it when he did.

We should leave Edwar alone for now. I would like to see him in more pressure situations to see if he could handle the 8th inning.
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

Right now Ramirez is a one-lap horse. Maybe he can stretch another batter or so, depending who's coming up, but that's at the outside. Any comparisons to Mo would be unfair. Joba could be the next Mo, and frankly I think he should be. He was the ideal setup guy and heir-in-waiting. Nobody wanted to face Joba and then see Mo. If the Yanks had another dependable arm, Joba's strange transition to becoming a starter while the season's in progress would never happen. Now, what? -- Joba throws a good six innings, then a parade of mediocrity or worse bumbles while the best relief pitcher in history stands in the 'pen and watches because there's no game left to save? Then Joba disappears until his turn in the rotation reappears? What the management needs to do is leave well enough alone and concentrate on obtaining a left arm or two out of the 'pen. A staff of only righties is no way to go.:twocents:

Comment

Originally posted by TonyStarks View Post
        We should leave Edwar alone for now. I would like to see him in more pressure situations to see if he could handle the 8th inning.
        I agree. I would like to see him in the 8th before Mo now that Joba is out of the pen. He's been exceptional so far and deserves a shot as the set-up guy. That, coupled with the fact the Farnsworth seems to pitch much better in the 6th or 7th than he does the 8th, and I really see no reason not give the kid the ball in the 8th inning.

Comment

I think Girardi has a decent excuse to use Edwar in the 8th once in a while over Farnsworth, (other than the fact that Farnsworth has given up 8 home runs in 24 innings this year). Farnsworth throws 98 MPH and it would be a good way to set up Edwars change up. I know they'd be facing different batter but I'm just throwing stuff against the wall. Farnsworth is terrible. Maybe Molina could put a picture of a deer in the center of his glove for Kyle.

Scott
          I told you not to be stupid you moron.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyStarks View Post
            No. No. No. Edwar has a good thing going right now...we shouldn't try to see him extended. Torre did leave Edwar out there too long last season and Torre usually paid for it when he did.

So 1 inning only? In that case, let me ask you this about Friday's game.

Veras, who seems usually reliable, allowed a 5-pitch walk to Brendan Harris, who's now batting .253. For some reason, Robbie Cano went fielded the ball to 1B instead of Jeter at 2B. I have no idea why a 2Bman throws to 1B when you've got a guy running to 2B.

Girardi had seen enough, so he brought in Edwar, who got an F8 and an F7. Since that's only 2 outs and with a 2-run lead, would you have asked Edwar to pitch 1 more out into the 8th inning for a full inning?

With Farnsworth's struggles, I think that giving him 2/3 of an inning when you have a chance, sounds good. Edwar came in as the fireman with a RISP, and if he gives up a 2-run bomb, it's a tied game. Luckily (relatively speaking, of course), Farns *ONLY* gave up 1 run via the leadoff solo HR.

I wouldn't mind seeing Edwar in the 8th, but the problem with that philosophy, as stuck to like concrete by Joe Torre with Farns, is that you put him there regardless of the situation. With the game on the line in the 7th, I'd like us to be flexible enough that we can use Edwar in a situation where the game is on the line (corner runners, 1 out, slugger at the plate). As such, those 2 outs in the 7th inning may be far more valuable than the routine 3 outs in the 8th.

If Girardi does this, I believe that we'll win more games.
            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
            THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

I've liked Edwar's stuff since he came up last season. I think his fastball has been so much better - both in velocity and location - that it's making his great change up that much better. It's a nasty weapon.

I think it should be Edwar in the 7th (generally speaking) and Farnsy in the 8th.

I know... I know, everyone thinks Farnsworth is bad. I'll probably take heat for it, but I don't think he's that bad. The HRs are troubling, but to me, his issues are more about pitch selection than they are not having the stomach or the stuff. For example - tonights HR in the 8th vs. Minnesota to Mouneau: First off, he's a great hitter. Not an excuse, but Morneau has gotten the best of a lot of good pitchers. But moreover, it was an 0-2 pitch. He threw two great pitches to get ahead 0-2, then someone decided he should throw an 0-2 fastball somewhere near the strike zone. WHY? For crying out loud, there are three options in that situation. 1) Bounce a slider. 2) Throw a fastball shoulder high. 3) Throw a fastball shoulder high and on the inner half.

By no stretch of the imagination should they have ever dreamed of setting up low and in - which is exactly what Molina did. Whoever called that pitch needs to have their head examined. Low and in might have been a good pitch if Farnsworth had Mariano Rivera's control. We all know he doesn't. It's too risky a pitch, because if you miss, it turns into what it was - a fastball in Morneau's wheelhouse.

Anyway, sorry to get off topic, but to close on a related note, I believe Edwar should be used as the "7th inning guy" for now, or basically your 3rd gun out of the pen. Mo, Farns, Edwar, ________. The 4th man has yet to step up, but it could be one of the young guys that are still in the minors. There are a few that are probably itching for that role.
              New York Yankees
              New York Rangers
              New York Giants

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
                So 1 inning only? In that case, let me ask you this about Friday's game.

Veras, who seems usually reliable, allowed a 5-pitch walk to Brendan Harris, who's now batting .253. For some reason, Robbie Cano went fielded the ball to 1B instead of Jeter at 2B. I have no idea why a 2Bman throws to 1B when you've got a guy running to 2B.

Girardi had seen enough, so he brought in Edwar, who got an F8 and an F7. Since that's only 2 outs and with a 2-run lead, would you have asked Edwar to pitch 1 more out into the 8th inning for a full inning?

With Farnsworth's struggles, I think that giving him 2/3 of an inning when you have a chance, sounds good. Edwar came in as the fireman with a RISP, and if he gives up a 2-run bomb, it's a tied game. Luckily (relatively speaking, of course), Farns *ONLY* gave up 1 run via the leadoff solo HR.

I wouldn't mind seeing Edwar in the 8th, but the problem with that philosophy, as stuck to like concrete by Joe Torre with Farns, is that you put him there regardless of the situation. With the game on the line in the 7th, I'd like us to be flexible enough that we can use Edwar in a situation where the game is on the line (corner runners, 1 out, slugger at the plate). As such, those 2 outs in the 7th inning may be far more valuable than the routine 3 outs in the 8th.

If Girardi does this, I believe that we'll win more games.
                Matty, in this situation I think I would shake Edwar's hand and send him to the showers. He did his job. He came in, he got the Yanks out of the inning.

But as I've said, I want to see him come into situations like this. I want to see how he handles the pressures of the 8th inning, so I'd like him to get a shot at the 8th a few times.
                "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

Edwar has become the Lefty Batter nullifier. He is very valuable to the team. I'm an even bigger fan now.

Comment

Originally posted by sandlot View Post
                    Right now Ramirez is a one-lap horse. Maybe he can stretch another batter or so, depending who's coming up, but that's at the outside. Any comparisons to Mo would be unfair. Joba could be the next Mo, and frankly I think he should be. He was the ideal setup guy and heir-in-waiting. Nobody wanted to face Joba and then see Mo. If the Yanks had another dependable arm, Joba's strange transition to becoming a starter while the season's in progress would never happen. Now, what? -- Joba throws a good six innings, then a parade of mediocrity or worse bumbles while the best relief pitcher in history stands in the 'pen and watches because there's no game left to save? Then Joba disappears until his turn in the rotation reappears? What the management needs to do is leave well enough alone and concentrate on obtaining a left arm or two out of the 'pen. A staff of only righties is no way to go.:twocents:
                    This should be entered on truth.com

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X