• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Mission 27
    NY State of Mind

• Mission 27
    replied
    Originally posted by steve rogers View Post
    I love Edwar but I don't think he's Mariano's replacement. First off no one will ever replace Mariano. Second I don't think he's got the skill to be a dominant closer. Maybe if his fastball improves or he developes a great second pitch to go with his change up. The Yankees aren't going to settle for a 2nd class closer.

Scott
    Nobody will ever replace Mariano? So Mo is going to be the Yankees closer for the rest of time. Interesting perspective.

If Joba goes to the rotation for good, you're lookin at Edwar being the successor to Mo. And his fastball is getting better for that 2nd pitch, and that circle change is nasty. He's gotten a lot better since coming up last year, he doesn't rely on his change constantly, he's mixing in other stuff too and he's had a great year so far.

Leave a comment:

• TonyStarks
    Yankee Forum Janitor

• TonyStarks
    replied
    I wanted to comment on this the last time I saw Edwar.

His fastball seems to be a real Fastball now. He's consistently sitting on 91-92 MPH.
    I recall last season he was around 88-89 MPH and his fastball was dead on arrival.

This season his fastball seems to perfectly complement the change. The fastball is now tailing into RH batters. I don't believe he had that prior to this season. I also realized that Edwar is now dropping his arm some. He was a straight over the top pitcher before but now his arm angle has changed.

After some reading, I found why. Edwar went to Pedro Martinez for help and even to Mariano Rivera. It seems to have paid off.

Leave a comment:

• Chasing74
    Chasing Records Dot Com

• Chasing74
    replied
    That'd be nice to have an additional stud in the bullpen, especially looking for replacements for both Joba and Rivera in terms of the future. We will see what happens! :twocents:

Leave a comment:

• Mike27
    Yankee Fan

• Mike27
    replied
    Maybe not a closer, but a good set up man is realistic enough for Ramirez.

I remember watching his debut, against the Twins, and I'm almost positive it was Justin Morneau he struck out on a change up. The pitch was so nasty and had so much movement, I was amazed.

Leave a comment:

• steve rogers
    Sentinel Of Liberty

• steve rogers
    replied
    I love Edwar but I don't think he's Mariano's replacement. First off no one will ever replace Mariano. Second I don't think he's got the skill to be a dominant closer. Maybe if his fastball improves or he developes a great second pitch to go with his change up. The Yankees aren't going to settle for a 2nd class closer.

Scott

Leave a comment:

• FEVB

• FEVB
    replied
    I was there too, I was dumbfounded.

FEVB

Leave a comment:

• Mission 27
    NY State of Mind

• Mission 27
    replied
    I was also at his first major league appearance. And I also am a big fan of Edwar. I think he's going to be Mo's replacement in a few years. But for now, I feel very confident that he's going to help us out down the stretch this year. Which could be key with Joba maybe going to the rotation..

Leave a comment:

• steve rogers
    Sentinel Of Liberty

• steve rogers
    replied
    I love Edwar. I was at his first major league appearence. He struck out the side in the ninth inning. I love his story about pitching in the independant minors and discovering that ridicolous change up. I'm rooting hard for him whenever he pitches.

Scott

Leave a comment:

• TonyStarks
    Yankee Forum Janitor

• TonyStarks
    started a topic Edwar Ramirez

Edwar Ramirez

...now's a good time...right DX?

I know some here aren't too excited about Ramirez, but I just have a think he can be a very good reliever and he's proving me right.

Another good outing from Edwar and he's sporting 10.57 K/9 now.

7 Games : 7.2 Inn : 3 Hits : 3 BB (2 in 1 Game) : 9K : .078 WHIP : 0.00 ERA

I said it last year. Torre just didn't know how to use the guy. He would leave him in for too long and even tried to extended him too much.

I've seen him a few times this year and he's not relying on the Change up so much as he was last season. He's been able to locate his Fastball on the corners and it's made him a much better pitcher now.

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X