Mickey Mantle, Hank Bauer, Gene Woodling: 1952-1954

Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris, Yogi Berra: 1961

Bobby Murcer, Roy White, Felipe Alou: 1971

Reggie Jackson, Mickey Rivers, Roy White/Lou Piniella: 1977-1979

Rickey Henderson, Dave Winfield, Ken Griffey: 1985

Bernie Williams, Paul O'Neill, and whomever: 1993-2001

Gary Sheffield, Hideki Matsui, Johnny Damon: 2006-

Some damn fine selection on this list.

So hard to choose but I'd go Ruth, Combs, Muesel or Bernie or Rickey, Winfield, Griffey. For his size Winfield was a Great RFer! His Arm, Fearlessly jump on or above walls.
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

Ruth, Meusel & Combs. Then I'd probably go with the M&M boys.
      Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

You can't really go wrong with Mantle, Maris, and whomever else in the early 60's. I think that's probably my choice, with DiMaggio, Keller, and Henrich coming in second. They might be first if Keller was able to stay on the field more - he had all the tools to be another great Yankee slugger, probably better than DiMaggio.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
          You can't really go wrong with Mantle, Maris, and whomever else in the early 60's. I think that's probably my choice, with DiMaggio, Keller, and Henrich coming in second. They might be first if Keller was able to stay on the field more - he had all the tools to be another great Yankee slugger, probably better than DiMaggio.
          What was wrong with the Rickey/Winfield OF?
          I mean defensively and Offensive those two were juggernauts.
          "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

the row

Babe Ruth, Earle Combs, Bob Meusel

Comment

I would vote for 1931 Earle Combs, Babe Ruth, and Sam Chapman; The 1927 version of Combs, Ruth, and Bob Muesel is probably better defensively.
              In the 1920's, Harry Heilmann led the AL with a .364 average. In addition, he averaged 220 hits, 45 doubles, 12 triples, 16 homers, 110 runs, and 130 RBI.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyStarks
                What was wrong with the Rickey/Winfield OF?
                I mean defensively and Offensive those two were juggernauts.
                Nothing wrong with them, two terrific players, and Ken Griffey was no slouch either. But Mantle and Maris in their primes are tough to compete with. I don't know if Winfield or Henderson ever had the kind of seasons that Mantle and Maris had in the early 60s.

Comment

Maybe not the best, but certainly my favorites....

1) Babe Ruth, Earle Combs, Bob Meusel: 1925-1929
                  2) Reggie Jackson, Mickey Rivers, Roy White/Lou Piniella: 1977-1979
                  3) Bernie Williams, Paul O'Neill, and whomever: 1993-2001
                  "Heroes are people who are all good with no bad in them. That's the way I always saw Joe DiMaggio. He was beyond question one of the greatest players of the century."

~Mickey Mantle

Comment

)

1.) Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris, Yogi Berra: 1961
                    2.) Gary Sheffield, Hideki Matsui, Johnny Damon: 2006- (on paper)
                    3.) Rickey Henderson, Dave Winfield, Ken Griffey: 1985
                    "I was pitching one day when my glasses clouded up on me. I took them off to polish them. When I looked up to the plate, I saw Jimmie Foxx. The sight of him terrified me so much that I haven't been able to wear glasses since." - Left Gomez

"(Lou) Gehrig never learned that a ballplayer couldn't be good every day." - Hank Gowdy

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X