Yankee Stadium black "seats"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ipitch
    started a topic Yankee Stadium black "seats"?

Yankee Stadium black "seats"?

My friend says that there are seats out there that are covered with a black covering. To me it just looks like concrete that's been painted black (perhaps there used to be seats there?). What's the deal?

And, how come security didn't let fans out there to get HR balls last night?

• Chasing74
    replied
    They were just talking about this during last nights game.... the 'batters eye' section where they make it all black to make it easier to pick up the ball.

Interesting stuff...

Leave a comment:

• YankeeDJW
    replied
    It's called a hitter's backdrop and most, if not all stadiums, have one in one form or another. It's kind of like the idea that the Jumbotron can't display a moving image while the pitcher is delivering the pitch; the ball gets lost to easily in the moving colors.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Dunaier
    replied
    Just because I can... here's a head-on shot of the black "seats" in the bleachers.

(Photo taken July 19, 2008. © Gary Dunaier. Link to posting on Flickr.com: here)

Leave a comment:

• mrakbaseball
    replied
    Originally posted by kidcavalier23 View Post
    Yeah, it has to be the batters complaining. The "408" sign is also black for the hitters as well.
    Since Yankee Stadium re-opened in 1976, there has never been seating in the"black", including non baseball events, like soccer.

Leave a comment:

• kidcavalier23
    replied
    Yeah, it has to be the batters complaining. The "408" sign is also black for the hitters as well.

Leave a comment:

• mrakbaseball
    replied
    Originally posted by thegame4219 View Post
    there used to be seats there they just pulled them out and painted the concrete black. you can still see the entry ways...batters used to complain that they couldn't see the ball because of the fans back there
    The "black" has existed since Yankee Stadium re-opened in 1976. Since the renovation, there has not been any seating there.

Leave a comment:

• Mattingly
    replied
    Originally posted by thegame4219 View Post
    there used to be seats there they just pulled them out and painted the concrete black. you can still see the entry ways...batters used to complain that they couldn't see the ball because of the fans back there
    That's what I heard also. Since there's no roof, most of the day games (usually weekends for non-ESPN gamea begin around 1:05pm. Since the sun hits the batter's eyes directly from an angle at that time, it would be difficult to see the white ball in broad daylight. That's why those seats were painted matt black.

Also, if fans were in those seats wearing white, the ball couldn't be seen, since those black "seats" are just to the right of CF, and behind the pitcher's mound, from a hitter's perspective at home plate.

I presume that since nobody sits there, they can't sneak tiny mirrors in, to shine into opposing batters' eyes. Hopefully, few would've resorted to dirty tricks like that anyway.

For the thread starter's complaint that fans weren't allowed back there for the HR Derby, it's always allowed otherwise. I think nobody bothers to retrieve anything hit there off Yankee pitchers, unless there are many opposing fans in attendance.

I'm not sure why they would risk the shouting of the infamous Bleacher Creatures in RF (Section 41 is just to the right of this, I believe), but different strokes for different folks, per '70s songdom.
    Last edited by Mattingly; 07-16-2008, 03:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• thegame4219
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Gary Dunaier
    replied
    There are no seats (or, more accurately, benches) in that black area.

The "deal" is that the black area serves as the batter's eye to allow the batters to see the ball.

(Photo taken July 1, 2008. © Gary Dunaier)

Leave a comment:

• TonyStarks
    replied
    Those are seats, but they're covered with that black cloth or some sort.

The area is off limits, I think it had to do with batters complaining...don't qoute me on that though.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X