The Offseason: 2008/2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Offseason: 2008/2009

Well, this is a little earlier than it has been in the past, but the offseason is here for the Yankees. As in the past, this thread is to be our main discussion thread for what happens during the offseason. Major issues will of course warrant their own threads, but instead of creating new threads all the time to address every little rumor or thought, let's try to keep things rolling here.

So to get things started, there are a lot of questions this offseason (as there were last offseason as well). When you look at the big picture though, despite looking lifeless at times this season, the Yankees ended up with 89 wins, and in another year, that may have been enough. In 2000 for example, the team won just 87 games but the World Series. There's also the 2006 Cardinals who won just 83 games but the World Series. So there is reason to be optimistic with some changes and better luck next year, the team can bounce back.

As for specific issues, it appears Cashman will be back, so that's one down. This really wasn't a surprise to me because it's clear that Cashman had a larger vision in place, one that is a departure from how the team has been operating for much of this decade, and you'd think he want to see it through.

Here are some of the issues around the diamond:

C: The plan is likely to hope that Posada can come back. At 37 though and coming off a significant injury, it remains to be seen if he can hold up as an everyday catcher. A backup plan is needed here (Dioner Navarro would have been really nice right about now). Ivan Rodriguez likely failed his audition. Jose Molina is under contract, and while a decent backup, I don't the team wants to have him as the everyday guy again. Perhaps the team things it has something in Francisco Cervelli. He's definitely shown promise in the minors and he's just 22, but other than his brief callup, he hasn't played above AAA and lost much of this year to injury. I expect we'll see him at some point next year, but I can't imagine the Yankees are relying on him much at this point.

1B: While earlier in the season people started to wonder whether Giambi would be back, it's likely he won't. Sure, if the Yankees can't come up with a better idea, bringing Giambi back on a low risk contract might be something to consider, but one would think the Yankees would go in a different direction here. Wouldn't be surprised to see Posada playing significantly at 1B next year, but that will indicate a problem at catcher. Juan Miranda showed promise at AAA this year, but one would think the team isn't planning on him to be the answer next year. Mark Teixeira is an obvious contract, but with the Yankees finally come out from under some long-term and expensive contracts, will they be eager to jump into another?

2B: The only question here is whether Cano will bounce back. I suppose there's a chance the team could trade him if the right deal came along, but I doubt it. Cano seemed to respond after Girardi benched him. Hopefully he carries that lesson into next year.

SS: Jeter will be there, but the question is, for how much longer? At some point, the team is going to have to make some tough decisions with Jeter, and the question is will they make those tough decisions?

3B: Despite however you feel about him, A-Rod is here to stay. As a sidenote, it's hard to believe that 37 homeruns led the AL this year (A-Rod had 35 with missing time). It's like the mid 80's.

OF: This is a very jumbled situation. You have two aging players (Damon and Matsui), a player in his prime that overachieved this year (Nady), two youngsters with questionable ceilings (Gardner and Cabrera), and solid producer set to become a free agent who will pose a difficult question for the team (Abreu). Personally, I'd try to trade Matsui and Cabrera, and I'd try to re-sign Abreu to a 2 year deal (maybe with a third year option). Matsui has value. He can still hit when healthy, and some offensive starved team out there looking to make a splash, could be tempted to take a chance. Matsui would bring in a ton of Asian revenue, and with just 1 year and 13 mil left on his contract, his deal isn't that prohibitive. Cabrera, on the other hand, lost a lot of value this year and if he goes, he'll likely be part of a package. I think he still has some value though because he's still quite young and has shown promise at the ML level in the past over an extended period.

Rotation: Right now, the team has just one pitcher it can pencil in for next year, Wang, and he missed over half the year to injury. I'm guessing at least one of Mussina and Pettitte will come back, with Mussina being the more likely. If both want to come back, the team will probably bring them back. What will the team do with Joba? My guess is start him, but Girardi has hinted at a modified rotation to limit is innings (such as I've been suggesting for quite a while now). One would guess that the will not place so much reliance on the youngsters again, though I can see both Hughes and Aceves playing big roles next year (and wouldn't be surprised to see Kennedy as part of a trade). There are a lot of free agents out there, but teams have been spending silly amounts of money in recent years on injury prone and/or mediocre pitchers. I'm hoping the Yankees have learned something of a lesson here. That being said, going after Sabathia is a no-brainer. The guy is a stud, a true workhorse and throwback. However, I see him going elsewhere.

Bullpen: This is probably the area of least concern. The bullpen looked strong this year, showing a lot of promise going forward, and there's more on the way.

Coaching: Girardi is a smart guy, so I'm hopeful he'll learn from his mistakes, but his coaching staff could perhaps use some changes. Torre's staff always had multiple strong leaders and baseball minds, and thus had the players' respect. I'm not sure Girardi's staff does. If anyone goes, I'm looking at Bobby Meachem. He was terrible as the 3B coach.

The following is my ideal 25-man roster, for the start of the 2009 season:

C - Jorge Posada, Jose Molina
    1B - Mark Teixeira, Juan Miranda
    2B - Orlando Hudson
    3B - Alex Rodriguez, Cody Ransom
    SS - Derek Jeter
    LF - Johnny Damon, Hideki Matsui
    CF - Matt Kemp, Brett Gardner
    RF - Xavier Nady

SP - CC Sabathia, Chien-Ming Wang, Mike Mussina, Joba Chamberlain, Phil Hughes
    RP - Edwar Ramirez, Phil Coke, Jose Veras, Alfredo Aceves, Brian Bruney, Damaso Marte, Mariano Rivera

Comment

Here's mine...

C - Posada, Molina

Posada should be spelled pretty often and inserted as DH. He's aging and needs to be protected, I don't think Molina is too bad of an option. If his bat is really that bad, I think they can bring Moellar up or give Cerivelli a shot midseason.

1B - Texiera, Duncan

Signing Texiera would be huge. He's a great hitter. If not, a Giambi/Duncan platoon would be great as well.

2B - Cano

Cano is a great hitter. He just needs to be given a jumpstart. I know I'm like that too during basketball season. Maybe he'll mature with time, I think it is best to keep him.

SS - Jeter

A move to first base should be coming in a few years.

3B - Rodriguez, Ransom

I predict a monster year for A-Rod. 2003, 2005, and 2007 have all been monsters.

LF - Damon

Although I'm not too high on his defense, his bat makes up for a lot of it. I think he's very valuable leading off, very valuable in the clubhouse, and I like the way he plays his butt off every single game.

CF - Gardner, Christian/Cabrera

As you may know, I'm very high on Gardner. Let's give him a shot. He's going to be batting ninth behind a very good offense, not to mention his defense is outstanding.

RF - Abreu

We must resign Abreu. He had better numbers in 2008 then he did in 2007 so he has shown no signs of aging. I love his arm but his hustle in the field is the only negative. I think we should trade Xavier Nady along with a prospect or two in order to pick up a starting pitcher.

DH - Matsui

I still think he can hit. When he was healthy, he was our best hitter. However, I wouldn't mind shopping him around for a starting pitcher or a first basemen.

Rotation: Wang, Sabathia, Mussina, Pettitte, (Trade)

Signing Sabathia would be awesome. The Nady + prospects trade could bring us a pitcher. Peavy?!

Bullpen: Coke, Robertson, Ramirez, Veras, Bruney, Chamberlain, Rivera

I absolutley love the bullpen.
      Let's go Yankees!

Comment

Are you referring to Eric Duncan or Shelley Duncan? Either way, I doubt that anything involving them would be great.

I'm not sure that Xavier Nady could bring in much, even coupled with prospects. With the exception of his pre-Yankees 2008 numbers, he has been consistently mediocre as a major leaguer. Bobby Abreu may even be better at this point in their careers - I just feel that the money that they would save by jettisoning him would be better spent elsewhere (such as Teixeira and Sabathia).

I do have a question for you, though - is this what you want to see, or what you think would be realistic?

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
          1B: While earlier in the season people started to wonder whether Giambi would be back, it's likely he won't. Sure, if the Yankees can't come up with a better idea, bringing Giambi back on a low risk contract might be something to consider, but one would think the Yankees would go in a different direction here. Wouldn't be surprised to see Posada playing significantly at 1B next year, but that will indicate a problem at catcher. Juan Miranda showed promise at AAA this year, but one would think the team isn't planning on him to be the answer next year. Mark Teixeira is an obvious contract, but with the Yankees finally come out from under some long-term and expensive contracts, will they be eager to jump into another?
          Miranda's situation will play out this winter and ST. I can see him getting more time at MLB level next year. I don't see the Yankees giving him the starting job. I believe the best option is to stay inside the organization and work with Damon, Matsui and Posada and help them learn to play 1B.

2B: The only question here is whether Cano will bounce back. I suppose there's a chance the team could trade him if the right deal came along, but I doubt it. Cano seemed to respond after Girardi benched him. Hopefully he carries that lesson into next year.
          I believe there's another question. Will Cano be traded this winter? At the moment, it's just rumors regarding Cano, but there could be truth behind the rumors.

SS: Jeter will be there, but the question is, for how much longer? At some point, the team is going to have to make some tough decisions with Jeter, and the question is will they make those tough decisions?
          Jeter will be making 20 million dollars in 2009. He'll make 21 million dollars in 2010. I don't known what you mean by "tough decisions". Jeter not entering the final year of his contract. I'm aware Jeter defense at SS has always been mediocre, but the team never seem to care after all these years. I don't see why they care in 2009 or 2010, unless it's glaring, even though I feel it's already glaring he's bad defensive SS.

Still, he had a down year this year, but all accounts, it was terrible. Mainly due to how strong he finished the season. I just don't see the Yankees, even when the time comes, making a tough decision regarding Jeter. He'll likely finish his career as a Yankee, no matter how bad he might become. That's how I see it.

Rotation: Right now, the team has just one pitcher it can pencil in for next year, Wang, and he missed over half the year to injury. I'm guessing at least one of Mussina and Pettitte will come back, with Mussina being the more likely. If both want to come back, the team will probably bring them back. What will the team do with Joba? My guess is start him, but Girardi has hinted at a modified rotation to limit is innings (such as I've been suggesting for quite a while now). One would guess that the will not place so much reliance on the youngsters again, though I can see both Hughes and Aceves playing big roles next year (and wouldn't be surprised to see Kennedy as part of a trade). There are a lot of free agents out there, but teams have been spending silly amounts of money in recent years on injury prone and/or mediocre pitchers. I'm hoping the Yankees have learned something of a lesson here. That being said, going after Sabathia is a no-brainer. The guy is a stud, a true workhorse and throwback. However, I see him going elsewhere.
          I can't say Mussina is coming back or not coming back. I don't think any person can say he's coming back or not. Mussina coming back is all dependent on him and whether he wants to come back. That's his feelings, only he knows them. In short, time will tell what's happening with Mussina.

In Pettitte's case, it seems more clear cut. It's Yankees or retirement. I believe he's already came out and made that statement, unlike Mussina who seems to be wavering between retirement and returning. The only variable is whether the Yankees wish to bring him back or not and if the money being asked by Pettitte will be a problem for the Yankees.

This team got it's issues. Domenic's team he posted looks good. But, I also have my doubts regarding Sabathia, but he might just be looking for the money. You won't known until he signs. It should be fun winter.

Comment

Originally posted by Evangelion View Post
            Jeter will be making 20 million dollars in 2009. He'll make 21 million dollars in 2010. I don't known what you mean by "tough decisions". Jeter not entering the final year of his contract. I'm aware Jeter defense at SS has always been mediocre, but the team never seem to care after all these years. I don't see why they care in 2009 or 2010, unless it's glaring, even though I feel it's already glaring he's bad defensive SS.
            The question isn't about re-signing him, it's about what will the team do when it's clear he's a liability at SS and batting 2nd in the order? Jeter's been questionable defensively for a while, and this year he killed the team at times batting 2nd, so one has to wonder when the team will start making some of the tough decisions with Jeter that will need to be made.

Comment

The question isn't about re-signing him, it's about what will the team do when it's clear he's a liability at SS and batting 2nd in the order? Jeter's been questionable defensively for a while, and this year he killed the team at times batting 2nd, so one has to wonder when the team will start making some of the tough decisions with Jeter that will need to be made.

Derek Jeter was actually above-average at shorstop this season... I am withholding worrying about his glove for at least one more season - call me blissfully ignorant, if you will.

I also see no reason to worry about Jeter's offense. He was injured in April and May. From that point forward, his line was .316/.380/.422 - sure, his power numbers are down, but his average and OBP are about where they have been for his career. I feel that he will be just fine going forward - he really has not given me reason to think otherwise.

Comment

I would suggest merging the Offseason Question marks thread with this one since its basivally the same discussion.

Catcher: Posada should be recovered by next year. However, he`s getting older and he`s an injury risk. Jose Molina is an okay backup but they should look around for other options. Geraild Laird would be an excellent backup if he didn't cost that much. They should explore trading for Jarrod Saltalamachia. However, I doubt that would happen.

First Base: A big question mark, Texiera is fine for 6 years. However, more than that and you`ve got to worry. Adam Dunn is a popular option. However, I wouldn't be so quick to dump Giambi. If he could be had for a one year deal or a cheap two year deal, which is not out of the question, he might be the best option. Damon and Matsui both volunteered to move to first base. This may let them sign Manny Ramirez. Although he`s a clubhouse problem his hitting makes up for it. What better way to solve their offensive problems? Would Matsui really be any worse than Gaimbi or Dunn defensively?

Second Base: They`re probably going to just stick with Cano. However, if they can get Matt Kemp for Cano as has been rumored they need to do that. Then they would need to sign Orlando Hudson. Again, I don't see Cano getting traded though.

Shortstop: Jeter is locked in here. He`s starting to decline which makes me nervous but theirs really nothing they can do right away. He`s still one of the best hitters at his position. They need to try and get somebody who will be able to replace him in the next few years though.

Third Base: No problems here. Even in an off year A-Rod is still among the best players in baseball. I`m not expecting him to continue the pattern of MVP's in odd numbered years and he should start declining but I have no worries year. As Double X noted he almost led the league in HR's.

Right Field: Abreu should be offered arbitration which he will almost certainly decline. Nady will be the right-fielder. He`s not great but he`s a solid player. We`ll see if 2008 was a breakout or just a fluke.

Centerfield: Another question mark, are the Yankees really willing to go into the year with Gardner and Cabrera as their centerfielders? If they do I`d be shocked to see them make the playoffs. The FA market is weak so they`ll going to look at the trade market. Their are the Matt Kemp for Robinson Cano trade rumors. However, I doubt that happens. David DeJesus and Nate McLouth are more likely and cheaper options. Maybe Kennedy, Aceves, Wright, and Coke for one of the two.

Left Field: Damon had a good year and, although its tempting to trade him while his value is high, they need him for next year. If we were to sign Manny then hopefully Matsui would be the one to move to first base. I don't feel that comfortable with Damon as he gets hurt every year.

Designated Hitter: I`m hoping for a Manny Ramirez signing. However, its more likely they`ll sign Texiera, Dunn, or Giambi for first and have Matsui DH. I`m startng to worry about Matsui's health and age.

Rotation: This is probably the biggest hole for the Yankees. Only Wang is a sure thing. First of all they need to move Joba to the rotation permanently. Then they need to try and bring back both Pettitte and Mussina. I think Pettite will be back and Mussina will be retired. They need to sign at least one FA starting pitcher as well. Hopefully Sabathi but he`s unlikely. My next pick would be Derek Lowe. Then Ben Sheets. Then Burnett. If we don't get one of the first two we`re in trouble. If Mussina or Pettitte retire they`ll have to trust Hughes.

Bullpen: The bullpen is for once, actually a strength. They can afford to offer Marte arbitration. If he accepts then fine, that`s great they get one of the best left-handed relievers in baseball. If he declines then great to. They get a first round draft pick and a sandwhich round pick. Rivera will be their as usual (barring injury). Then we can just try out different guys with good arms. Veras, Bruney, and Ramirez all have good shots. Robertson may also have a chance. Dan Giese will be the long man. If Coke is not traded then he will probably get a good look. Chris Britton is still available. He`s never really gotten a chance with the Yankees but was good in his one year with the Orioles. Watch out for Mark Melancon. When he comes up people could forget all about Joba replacing Rivera.

Coaching Staff: I loved Girardi's bullpen management this year. Although some guys were worked hard, the work was spread out so we had no Proctor. The biggest change I want is Meacham. He really did an awful job. I think Tony Pena could do a good job as third base coach. He knows the players very well by now. Then perhaps we can welcome Willie Randolph back
                into the fold as the first base coach.

Bench: The bench desperately needs improvement. Its been pathetic for a few years now. I`m fine with Jose Molina since he plays awesome defense. Brett Gardner can be the 4th outfielder as well as a pinch-runner. We should also try and sign Casey Blake. He can play 6 days a week resting Cano, A-Rod, Nady, Matsui, Damon, and Ramirez. He might not like being shuffled around so much but money talks. He could also be a defensive replacement for Matsui who`ll have trouble with first base. Betemit just won't cut it anymore. Melky Cabrera could stay as the 5th OF I guess.

The Yankees should make these moves:
                • Offer Marte arbitration
                • Offer Abreu Arbitration
                • Sign Manny Ramirez, Move Matsui to first base
                • Resign Mussina and Pettitte if possible
                • Sign one either of Sabathia or Lowe
                • Sign Casey Blake
                • Trade Kennedy, Aceves, Wright, and Britton for DeJesus or McLouth
                • Fire Bobby Meacham, Move Tony Pena to third base coach
                • Hire Willie Randolph as the first base coach

C- Posada
                1B- Matsui
                2B- Cano
                SS- Jeter
                3B- A-Rod
                RF- Nady
                CF- DeJesus/McLouth
                LF- Damon
                DH- Ramirez

BC- Molina
                IF- Blake
                OF- Gardner
                OF- Cabrera

SP- Wang
                SP- Sabathia/Lowe
                SP- Pettitte/Mussina
                SP- Joba
                SP- Hughes

CL- Rivera
                MR- Veras
                MR- Bruney
                MR- Ramirez
                MR- Melancon
                MR- Coke
                LM- Giese
                Last edited by Mariano_Rivera; 09-30-2008, 06:07 PM.
                2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

Trade Kennedy, Aceves, Wright, and Britton for DeJesus or McLouth

Neither DeJesus or McLouth are worth that much - nor do I think either would cost that much. Kennedy and Wright/Britton would probably do the trick. Based on his success at the end of the season, Aceves and Wright/Britton may do it.

Offer Marte arbitration
                  Offer Abreu Arbitration

Both would probably take arbitration, though. I am assuming you want to do this so the Yankees could pull in draft picks if they lose them... However, both played at or around their established levels and neither is too old - they will probably receive what they are asking for and, thus, stay on-board.

Sign Casey Blake

Why? Blake will probably seek a raise on top of the $6.1 million he made this season, he has a career OPS of .781, cannot field any position terribly well, and is 35.

Comment

Originally posted by Domenic View Post
                    Neither DeJesus or McLouth are worth that much - nor do I think either would cost that much. Kennedy and Wright/Britton would probably do the trick. Based on his success at the end of the season, Aceves and Wright/Britton may do it.
                    Really? I`ve had people tell me the opposite. That that`s not enough. I dont really see Wright as a prospect and although I like Britton I don't see him getting a shot with the Yankees. Would Aceves or Kennedy alone bring in a cheap, solid, fairly young centerfielder like McLouth or DeJesus? If so then great.

Both would probably take arbitration, though. I am assuming you want to do this so the Yankees could pull in draft picks if they lose them... However, both played at or around their established levels and neither is too old - they will probably receive what they are asking for and, thus, stay on-board.
                    Don't you think they`d want a long term deal? Particularly Abreu. If they accept its not really a disaster. Their's worse things than Abreu for one year at 16 million. Just do the same thing as would be done otherwise, except don't sign Ramirez obviously. Marte on a one year deal is fine as well. If it were not for the draft picks I would say pick up his option. I don't think either would accept arbitration and if they did it would really be fine.

Why? Blake will probably seek a raise on top of the $6.1 million he made this season, he has a career OPS of .781, cannot field any position terribly well, and is 35.
                    You can't tell me A-Rod, Cano, Manny, Damon, Nady, and Matsui won't get hurt next year. It would be great to have Blake ready to step in when that happened. Lets face it, the Yankees are getting old and they need a better insurance plan than Wilson Betemit.

Comment

You can't tell me A-Rod, Cano, Manny, Damon, Nady, and Matsui won't get hurt next year. It would be great to have Blake ready to step in when that happened. Lets face it, the Yankees are getting old and they need a better insurance plan than Wilson Betemit.

Casey Blake - .264/.334/.447
                      Wilson Betemit - .260/.325/.437

Casey Blake is 35; Wilson Betemit is 27.

If you feel that the Yankees need a Jack-of-all-trades type player, I would probably go for Rob Mackowiak over Casey Blake. Mackowiak is not necessarily the hitter that Blake is, but he is a better fielder, and will cost much, much less. Wes Helms (.262/.323/.425) is another option.

Marte on a one year deal is fine as well. If it were not for the draft picks I would say pick up his option. I don't think either would accept arbitration and if they did it would really be fine.

I think the Yankees should just exercise his option - he found his stuff as the season wore on, and he is valuable against lefthanded hitters. I am not sure whether or not Phil Coke can be counted on at this point in time, and he is a valuable trading chip, to boot.

Really? I`ve had people tell me the opposite. That that`s not enough. I dont really see Wright as a prospect and although I like Britton I don't see him getting a shot with the Yankees. Would Aceves or Kennedy alone bring in a cheap, solid, fairly young centerfielder like McLouth or DeJesus? If so then great.

Kennedy is still considered a solid prospect, and Kansas City will not have people banging down the door for DeJesus. McLouth might be a bit more costly, but I feel that the Pirates would give him up for some semblance of proven talent - Aceves and Britton, plus someone like Melky may be able to fill that order. Teams dealing OF's this offseason will be in an awkward position, with the fairly big names on the FA marke - Ramirez, Dunn, and Ibanez, for example.

Comment

Casey Blake - .264/.334/.447
                        Wilson Betemit - .260/.325/.437

Casey Blake is 35; Wilson Betemit is 27.

If you feel that the Yankees need a Jack-of-all-trades type player, I would probably go for Rob Mackowiak over Casey Blake. Mackowiak is not necessarily the hitter that Blake is, but he is a better fielder, and will cost much, much less. Wes Helms (.262/.323/.425) is another option.
                        What`s the point of using their career numbers? Usually going back more than three years is a poor indicator of future success. Mackowiak is an absolutely terrible hitter at this point in his career. Wes Helms is at about the same level as Betemit.

Blake hasn't had a year below his career numbers since 2005 which was 4 years ago. He was a late bloomer and its not fair to use his career numbers. He can git better than any of the other guys you mentioned.

I think the Yankees should just exercise his option - he found his stuff as the season wore on, and he is valuable against lefthanded hitters. I am not sure whether or not Phil Coke can be counted on at this point in time, and he is a valuable trading chip, to boot.
                        Haven't we discovered signing veteran setup men like Farnsworth just doesn't work? Just try out different prospects and see what works. I don't see a need for a lefty for the sake of having a lefty either. If Coke doesn't work out than maybe Melancon, Sanchez, or Britton will.

Kennedy is still considered a solid prospect, and Kansas City will not have people banging down the door for DeJesus. McLouth might be a bit more costly, but I feel that the Pirates would give him up for some semblance of proven talent - Aceves and Britton, plus someone like Melky may be able to fill that order. Teams dealing OF's this offseason will be in an awkward position, with the fairly big names on the FA marke - Ramirez, Dunn, and Ibanez, for example.
                        Centerfielders though are rare. Its tough to find a good centerfielder as cheap as DeJesus or McLouth.

Comment

What`s the point of using their career numbers? Usually going back more than three years is a poor indicator of future success. Mackowiak is an absolutely terrible hitter at this point in his career. Wes Helms is at about the same level as Betemit.

Blake hasn't had a year below his career numbers since 2005 which was 4 years ago. He was a late bloomer and its not fair to use his career numbers. He can git better than any of the other guys you mentioned.

Casey Blake has been terrible with the Dodgers (.773 OPS), was terrible last season (.778 OPS), and decent in 2006 (.838 OPS). Overall, his OPS this season is .808 - which is fairly middling. Also, let's not forget - his increase in production has come with regular playing time... which he would, in all likelihood, not be getting with the Yankees, barring an injury. Plus, come on - he will demand over $7 million per season. Give the at-bats to Cody Ransom, if anything.

Centerfielders though are rare. Its tough to find a good centerfielder as cheap as DeJesus or McLouth.

DeJesus is much better suited for LF, though. His range in CF is better than Damon's would be, but not by too much. McLouth is a solid CF, but I feel that the Pirates asking price could end up being a bit higher than I would like to stomach - I would rather give up Cano and a bit for Kemp. Or, sign Mike Cameron, Jim Edmonds, or Mark Kotsay as a stop-gap.

Haven't we discovered signing veteran setup men like Farnsworth just doesn't work? Just try out different prospects and see what works. I don't see a need for a lefty for the sake of having a lefty either. If Coke doesn't work out than maybe Melancon, Sanchez, or Britton will.

Farnsworth was solid this season. The Yankees ended up dumping him in the midst of a strong season for Pudge, who ended producing only slightly better than Molina - a 56 OPS+ compared to 53. Mike Myers was excellent in his time with the Yankees, Luis Vizcaino was serviceable, and Farnsworth played above his career norms with the Yankees. LaTroy Hawkins was a bust, though.

After his disastrous outing against Minnesota, Marte had an ERA of 1.64. He isn't a LOOGY, either - he can retire righthanded hitters quite well. Retaining him solidifies the bullpen further.

Comment

Casey Blake has been terrible with the Dodgers (.773 OPS), was terrible last season (.778 OPS), and decent in 2006 (.838 OPS). Overall, his OPS this season is .808 - which is fairly middling. Also, let's not forget - his increase in production has come with regular playing time... which he would, in all likelihood, not be getting with the Yankees, barring an injury. Plus, come on - he will demand over $7 million per season. Give the at-bats to Cody Ransom, if anything.
                            He had an EQA of .275 in 2007, hardly terrible. He had an EQA over .290 in 2006 which is very good. When you combine his numbers this year with the Dodgers and Cleveland they`re really good. The last below average year he had was 2003. If you routinely spell Damon, Matsui, Ramirez, A-Rod, Cano, and Nady he`ll get more than enough playing time. One of these guys is pretty much guarenteed to miss time.

DeJesus is much better suited for LF, though. His range in CF is better than Damon's would be, but not by too much. McLouth is a solid CF, but I feel that the Pirates asking price could end up being a bit higher than I would like to stomach - I would rather give up Cano and a bit for Kemp. Or, sign Mike Cameron, Jim Edmonds, or Mark Kotsay as a stop-gap.
                            I would imagine DeJesus has a better arm as well. I have to admit, I really don't know what they would want for McLouth or DeJesus. I`m very reluctant to give up Cano and more for Kemp. I`d give up Cano alone but not much more.

Farnsworth was solid this season. The Yankees ended up dumping him in the midst of a strong season for Pudge, who ended producing only slightly better than Molina - a 56 OPS+ compared to 53. Mike Myers was excellent in his time with the Yankees, Luis Vizcaino was serviceable, and Farnsworth played above his career norms with the Yankees. LaTroy Hawkins was a bust, though.

After his disastrous outing against Minnesota, Marte had an ERA of 1.64. He isn't a LOOGY, either - he can retire righthanded hitters quite well. Retaining him solidifies the bullpen further.
                            Farnsworth was generally a dissapointment though and not really worth his money when Veras and Ramirez did just as well. Mike Myers was pretty awful for the Yankees as I remember. Vizcaino was okay for the one year. However, we found better guys within our own system.

I`m not doubting Marte is a great reliever but he`s replaceable so they may as well take the draft picks.

Comment

He had an EQA of .275 in 2007, hardly terrible. He had an EQA over .290 in 2006 which is very good. When you combine his numbers this year with the Dodgers and Cleveland they`re really good. The last below average year he had was 2003. If you routinely spell Damon, Matsui, Ramirez, A-Rod, Cano, and Nady he`ll get more than enough playing time. One of these guys is pretty much guarenteed to miss time.

A light-hitting corner infielder is not worth upwards of $7 million a year. An EQA of .275 is a bit better than average, but it does not negate an OPS of .778. Ugh.

Where is he getting a ton of playing time from? Betemit is under contract. Damon, Nady, and Matsui will be spelled by Gardner and Cabrera, and Jackson is aiming to be in the Bronx by July. Cody Ransom performed admirably in his short time at the major league level.

Farnsworth was generally a dissapointment though and not really worth his money when Veras and Ramirez did just as well. Mike Myers was pretty awful for the Yankees as I remember. Vizcaino was okay for the one year. However, we found better guys within our own system.

Farnsworth was an above-average reliever. Perhaps overpaid, but effective nonetheless. Myers had a 2.91 ERA over a season and a half with the Yankees.

Edwar Ramirez is just above league average, in terms of ERA. I worry about his control (24 BB in 55 IP) and consistency - 0.00 ERA in April (4.1 IP), 0.77 in May (11.2), 7.36 in June (11), 0.00 in July (11.1), 6.94 in August (11.2), and 8.44 in September (5.1). His groundball to flyball ratio is also a poor 0.69.

Marte might be replaceable. At the same time, retaining him keeps another strong arm in the bullpen, giving more reason for the Yankees to keep Chamberlain in the rotation.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X