Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who likes Damon as a Yankee?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Who likes Damon as a Yankee?

    How many of you guys like Damon as a Yankee ???
    9
    Funny
    55.56%
    5
    Pretty
    11.11%
    1
    Undescribable
    33.33%
    3
    Ugly
    0.00%
    0

    The poll is expired.


  • #2
    Thanks for posting this and please feel welcome into the Yankee forum anytime!

    I'd have to see now that he finally plays CF today. If he's good defensively, doesn't run into too many walls and doesn't deteriorate too quickly, I'll be fine. However, I presume there was a very good reason why the BoSox never gave him a 4-year deal, much less the absurd $12m deal he'd originally demanded.

    For right now, since Andruw Jones is blatantly unavailable, as well as Vernon Wells being unavailable due to Toronto's strengthening their team, Damon appears to have been the best center fielder available. Whether he'll be amongst the best in 2007 or 2008 is to be seen.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

    Comment


    • #3
      Are we talking about his looks here?

      His haircut is much, much better than it was in his Boston days.

      But so far I am not happy with him as an outfielder. IMO there are good options in the Yankee farm system.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by yankees rule
        Are we talking about his looks here?

        His haircut is much, much better than it was in his Boston days.

        But so far I am not happy with him as an outfielder. IMO there are good options in the Yankee farm system.
        What , you don't like the old Cave man Look !!!

        Comment


        • #5
          It's possible that he'll come in, play a decent CF, not be too terrible of a leadoff hitter, and leave the team at least no worse than he found it.

          On the other hand, if he starts to show his age the way I feel he really will, then this contract will be a disaster from the get-go. I don't understand why he's hitting leadoff; Jeter does everything Damon does as a hitter, only significantly better. His arm is weaker than Bernie's, and he's getting too old and slow to cover that much ground in the outfield. I honestly am just hoping this doesn't turn into another Kevin-Brown level disaster of a pickup.
          Last edited by ElHalo; 03-26-2006, 01:37 PM.
          "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

          Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ElHalo
            It's possible that he'll come in, play a decent CF, not be too terrible of a leadoff hitter, and leave the team at least no worse than he found it.

            On the other hand, if he starts to show his age the way I feel he really will, then this contract will be a disaster from the get-go. I don't understand why he's hitting leadoff; Jeter does everything Damon does as a hitter, only significantly better. His arm is weaker than Bernie's, and he's getting too old and slow to cover that much ground in the outfield. I honestly am just hoping this doesn't turn into another Kevin-Brown level disaster of a pickup.
            I assure you it will , man the Yanks just offered that BIG of a contract to get him out of the Sox's reach , this move will surely backfire on Steinbreiner

            Comment


            • #7
              I wans't too crazy about him before, but now....well, he kind of grows on you. That said, I wish him all the best.
              "Heroes are people who are all good with no bad in them. That's the way I always saw Joe DiMaggio. He was beyond question one of the greatest players of the century."

              ~Mickey Mantle

              Comment


              • #8
                I took a look at OBP and balls taken ratio between Jeter & Damon, and they're very, very close. However in return, a lead off hitter who has stealing ability is a very good acquistion imho. Defensively, the Yankees merely picked up a young and agile Bernie Williams (as far as arm strength is concerned).

                The Yankees are my AL team, so it's safe to say that I am glad to see him in pinstripes.
                Go Phils.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ElHalo
                  It's possible that he'll come in, play a decent CF, not be too terrible of a leadoff hitter, and leave the team at least no worse than he found it.

                  On the other hand, if he starts to show his age the way I feel he really will, then this contract will be a disaster from the get-go. I don't understand why he's hitting leadoff; Jeter does everything Damon does as a hitter, only significantly better. His arm is weaker than Bernie's, and he's getting too old and slow to cover that much ground in the outfield. I honestly am just hoping this doesn't turn into another Kevin-Brown level disaster of a pickup.
                  Kevin Brown was 38-years old when we traded for him, with a history of significant attitude problems and serious back injuries, having thrown only 200 innings in one of the three seasons right before we acquired him, so that comparison is a bit extreme.

                  That being said, I do agree that Jeter should be batting leadoff, but lineup construction doesn't have that large of an effect for it to matter that much, and a Center Fielder doesn't really need to have a strong arm anyway.

                  I think he'll post a 115 OPS+ for us and show some pretty nice range in CF. Big time upgrade over Bernie 2005.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by MetsFan11368
                    I wans't too crazy about him before, but now....well, he kind of grows on you. That said, I wish him all the best.
                    You should look what the SOX fans like I say about him in the ''Do you guys still like Damon '' Thread in the Red Sox Forum , check the later posts for real enthuisiasm !!!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Damon is a good player, i think he will help Yankees to win WS.
                      Lets go YANKEES

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Yankees4ever
                        Damon is a good player, i think he will help Yankees to win WS.
                        Ya right , i don't think the Yanks will win the WS this year !!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I love Damon. He reminds me of Chuck Knoblauch

                          (first post btw )
                          "It ain't over 'til it's over" - Yogi

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Hard To Embrace Any Ex-Red Sox

                            I had a real hard time liking Boggs in a Yankee uniform and really hated him on that horse after the Series. I tried real hard to like Clemens in pinstripes but it too was difficult. And now, we have Damon to deal with. I don't like the fact that he was on a Red Sox team that not only won their only World Series in anyone's lifetime BUT a team that beat the Yankees....and he had a lot to do with that beating. He better not screw up while playing here. He's never gonna be fully accepted but helping us start winning it all again will help.

                            Comment

                            Ad Widget

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X