X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pavano pitches today

comments, concern
    2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

So long as he doesn't try to throw every single pitch in his arsenal, I'm fine. If his heater cools down to sub-90mph, then that could get smacked around like how Shawn Chacon's was on Monday.

Me thnks that Torre and his ex-manager coaches have to "put their ears to the railroad tracks", so to speak, in evaluating when a player is out of gas. Too many hits, walks, HBP, etc could be sign of trouble.

I don't expect Pavano to last longer than 3 innings. If anything, I'd be very happy with 3 innings, 1-2 runs at most and a few Ks thrown in. Very few walks would also be icing on the cake. That would be 3 innings more than he'd thrown recently.

If he goes into the 4th inning, I'd definitely have a reliever warming up, just in case. Pavano doesn't need a win here, to me. He just needs a solid outing. That "instant bonus" that a win gives could be a false sense of security. What if he gets lit up like a Christmas tree in that 5th inning?

To me, he should do the same as a regular starter, but with a much shorter leash. If he gets 3 innings in, let those be a *SOLID* 3 innings. I'm not some bean counter who clocks pitch counts. Just let him have a few innings, then if he can work out of the pen down the road, just to keep himself active, that may work. 3 innings in relief = 3 innings to start, from my perspective.

It's an exhibition game, so it's no do-or-die thing. All he needs to do is stretch out his arm, have fun, throw a few pitches, get his synch back and show his stuff. That's all I want from him. Just have a good outing and come out feeling good about it, as can his teammates, Torre, pitch coach Ron "Gator/Louisiana Lightning" Guidry, and of course, the fans.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
      So long as he doesn't try to throw every single pitch in his arsenal, I'm fine. If his heater cools down to sub-90mph, then that could get smacked around like how Shawn Chacon's was on Monday.

Me thnks that Torre and his ex-manager coaches have to "put their ears to the railroad tracks", so to speak, in evaluating when a player is out of gas. Too many hits, walks, HBP, etc could be sign of trouble.

I don't expect Pavano to last longer than 3 innings. If anything, I'd be very happy with 3 innings, 1-2 runs at most and a few Ks thrown in. Very few walks would also be icing on the cake. That would be 3 innings more than he'd thrown recently.

If he goes into the 4th inning, I'd definitely have a reliever warming up, just in case. Pavano doesn't need a win here, to me. He just needs a solid outing. That "instant bonus" that a win gives could be a false sense of security. What if he gets lit up like a Christmas tree in that 5th inning?

To me, he should do the same as a regular starter, but with a much shorter leash. If he gets 3 innings in, let those be a *SOLID* 3 innings. I'm not some bean counter who clocks pitch counts. Just let him have a few innings, then if he can work out of the pen down the road, just to keep himself active, that may work. 3 innings in relief = 3 innings to start, from my perspective.

It's an exhibition game, so it's no do-or-die thing. All he needs to do is stretch out his arm, have fun, throw a few pitches, get his synch back and show his stuff. That's all I want from him. Just have a good outing and come out feeling good about it, as can his teammates, Torre, pitch coach Ron "Gator/Louisiana Lightning" Guidry, and of course, the fans.
      I trust hima lot more than Wright and I think you're right I believ 3 runs tops for 3 innings remember he hasn`t pitched since July

Comment

Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
        I trust hima lot more than Wright and I think you're right I believ 3 runs tops for 3 innings remember he hasn`t pitched since July
        Actually, Torre's got an even shorter leash than myself, as it's only supposed to be 1 inning in relief. I think it's against the Phillies.
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
          Actually, Torre's got an even shorter leash than myself, as it's only supposed to be 1 inning in relief. I think it's against the Phillies.
          yes at 7:15 didn`t know about the 1 inning of relief

Comment

Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
            yes at 7:15 didn`t know about the 1 inning of relief
            He should be coming into the game now. It's the top of the 6th, I believe.

Even if 1 inning, that's far more than what I've seen of him lately. At his price, I'd like to get some production out of him.

He was part of the trade that got Pedro from Montreal, that Boston sent their way.

Comment

Chase Utley took Carl deep just now. I've heard that Carl's fastball is at 92. The slider may be flat though.

I'm just hoping that his back is OK.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X