Proctor in the Rotation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proctor in the Rotation?

Scott Proctor is on the mound tonight, making his second consecutive start. With the season less than a week away and the rotation having to get set for the season, I'm starting to wonder if Proctor is being considered for the rotation, especially with Pavano and Small likely being on the DL to start the season, and quite possibly Wright as well.

I'm personally rooting for this to happen. I like Proctor, sometimes a pitcher just needs to get some big league experience to come around. Proctor's got good stuff, he just hasn't been able to harness it at the ML level, though his opportunities have been limited.

So far this spring, Proctor 16 innings (and counting tonight), good for third most on the team. He's given up only 1 ER and just 6 hits. That's very impressive. He's still on the mound as this post is being made and he's given up 2 hits in 4 innings against the Phillies so far.

Someone said that he's got a low '90s heater, curve, slider and changeups. If he can go through a lineup 3 times, he should be good.

With Pavano, Small, and perhaps even Wang being questionable, we need all the reinforcement we can get. Right now, it's only Unit, Moose and Chacon out there.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
      Someone said that he's got a low '90s heater, curve, slider and changeups. If he can go through a lineup 3 times, he should be good.

With Pavano, Small, and perhaps even Wang being questionable, we need all the reinforcement we can get. Right now, it's only Unit, Moose and Chacon out there.
      I remember reading a year or two ago that his fastball can top in the high 90's. Knowing the Yankees over the last few years, I'm sure they'd throw out every re-tread arm they can find before "resorting" to someone like Proctor, but the fact that he has made the last two turns in the rotation, with the next turn pretty much being the season, I am starting to wonder if the team is seriously considering him to start next week. I'd love to see it. Remember, last year Proctor made a late season start and was pretty decent.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
        I remember reading a year or two ago that his fastball can top in the high 90's. Knowing the Yankees over the last few years, I'm sure they'd throw out every re-tread arm they can find before "resorting" to someone like Proctor, but the fact that he has made the last two turns in the rotation, with the next turn pretty much being the season, I am starting to wonder if the team is seriously considering him to start next week. I'd love to see it. Remember, last year Proctor made a late season start and was pretty decent.
        If not him, then Sturtze is next in line, but I'm not too sure I'd like to go that route. I seriously doubt we'd ever get to Colter Bean getting the nod.

The Yanks seem to be playing the same coy game as prior to inking Damon: "We can go with 4 pitchers because of days off, until the schedule gets heavy", or something like that. Sounds nice and dandy, but it's likely to ease the tensions of the bridge-jumping set. That and to not have any crazy deals being offered for a starter of any value. Either that or the schedule just may be a little light.

In a way, it's more like playing how other teams do, since for ages, the Yanks have been able to buy their ways out of spots like this. Now they'll have to suffer from whichever decisions they've made or profit from the good ones.

If Wang and Chacon prove to be quality #3 and #4 starters, then Proctor being the #5 gives a non-star a chance to shine. Could be a good thing.

Did we get him in the Robin Ventura trade? I see that he was drafted by LAD in the 1998 amateur draft, but has only played in the bigs in '04/'05 for the Yanks.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/proctsc01.shtml

Whatever reduces payroll, I'm fine with. The fewer $10 or $15m guys there, the happier I am.

EDIT: from what I've read, while his heater was in the low '90s, he was locating it, threw a nice 12-to-6 curve, but his slider was'nt really working, as that's what was hit hard.

I'd definitely need to hear of his next 2-3 starts before saying whether he's one of our regular 5 guys or not.
        Last edited by Mattingly; 03-28-2006, 08:52 PM.
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

If not him, then Sturtze is next in line, but I'm not too sure I'd like to go that route. I seriously doubt we'd ever get to Colter Bean getting the nod.

The Yanks seem to be playing the same coy game as prior to inking Damon: "We can go with 4 pitchers because of days off, until the schedule gets heavy", or something like that. Sounds nice and dandy, but it's likely to ease the tensions of the bridge-jumping set. That and to not have any crazy deals being offered for a starter of any value. Either that or the schedule just may be a little light.

In a way, it's more like playing how other teams do, since for ages, the Yanks have been able to buy their ways out of spots like this. Now they'll have to suffer from whichever decisions they've made or profit from the good ones.

If Wang and Chacon prove to be quality #3 and #4 starters, then Proctor being the #5 gives a non-star a chance to shine. Could be a good thing.

Did we get him in the Robin Ventura trade? I see that he was drafted by LAD in the 1998 amateur draft, but has only played in the bigs in '04/'05 for the Yanks.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/proctsc01.shtml

Whatever reduces payroll, I'm fine with. The fewer $10 or $15m guys there, the happier I am.

EDIT: from what I've read, while his heater was in the low '90s, he was locating it, threw a nice 12-to-6 curve, but his slider was'nt really working, as that's what was hit hard.

I'd definitely need to hear of his next 2-3 starts before saying whether he's one of our regular 5 guys or not.
          Don't see Colter Bean getting the nod, but his chance for an extended callup with the bullpen is long overdue. Of the farmhands I'd like to see Matt DeSalvo or Matt Childers get a shot; DeSalvo in particular has earned it this spring and with his time in the system. Of course, I can't wait for Phillip Hughes to get ready, but that's at least a year off, perhaps two.

The Yanks have gone with the 4-man rotation to open the season before. It actually seems this way most years as the team has so many days off in first two or three weeks.

Proctor did come over in the Ventura trade, as did Bubba Crosby. Looking back, that was quite a nice little trade for Cashman. Though, it also came the same day that Brandon Claussen was traded for Aaron Boone. Claussen has yet to really develop in the Majors, but there is still time for him.

Comment

procter

Hmm that woul be very interesting and I like it BUT then they will stop pursuing Clemens but more importantly if he does goood fro his first 2-3 starts what happens then when Pavano an Co. are back then you have Johnson, Wright, Pavano,Mussina,Chacon, Wang and then you have Small and Proctor that gives you 8 starters while you can never have to much pitching you eally can`t have a 8 man rotation its possible they will do a 6 man rotation if everybody just blows Torre away I`d like to see that with Wright and Small being the men out
            2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
              Hmm that woul be very interesting and I like it BUT then they will stop pursuing Clemens but more importantly if he does goood fro his first 2-3 starts what happens then when Pavano an Co. are back then you have Johnson, Wright, Pavano,Mussina,Chacon, Wang and then you have Small and Proctor that gives you 8 starters while you can never have to much pitching you eally can`t have a 8 man rotation its possible they will do a 6 man rotation if everybody just blows Torre away I`d like to see that with Wright and Small being the men out
              I think that with Roger Clemens, he's like the perfect pitcher, except I'd sometimes wonder how many innings he'd give us. He averaged about 6-2/3 in 2005, but I'm not too sure if he'll be able to continue playing. He's still obviously got great "stuff", but over the course of 5 starts a month for 4-5 months, he'd really need to work out hugely over the winter to continue at the very high level he's established over 24 seasons I think.

I'd definitely take him, but I think I'd be just as pleased if Proctor held his ground when given a chance. I wouldn't expect him to be Roger Clemens out there, but if he can keep us in the game, not walk too many, get a few K's when he really needs them, I'd be a happy camper.

Sometimes I'd just like to believe that I'd be less about the name that's not on the back of the jersey (a play on the Yanks' nameless jerseys) and more about their performance over 3-4 consecutive outings. Just be consistent, go throug the side nicely 3 times, don't get lit up like a Christmas tree.

Comment

I don't want to see Clemens back. I don't think he can replicate what he's been doing in Houston for the past few years except in Houston (in the NL, near his home, more laid atmosphere).

Reading over some of the notes on Yankees.com last night, doesn't sound like Proctor is in the rotation plans, but that Jaret Wright somehow is still being considered for next week (even instead of Shawn Chacon). I don't get. Wright is terrible, he proved last he was terrible, he's proved for his career that he is inconsistent and injury-prone, and he has been terrible this spring. The team should do what's best in the interest of winning, and not try to justify stupid and expensive acquisitions. Wright has to go, IMO, and I hope that management realizes this sooner than later and works to get someone else in the rotation (i.e. Small, Proctor, or DeSalvo).

Comment

Procters' Fastball is not low 90s it's in the High 90s.
                  I think he regularly hits 94-97MPH.

What I always suggested was that he should hold back and hit 92-93 just to see if he can regain more pin-point command.

I've always liked the guy and his stuff but it's that inconsistency part that just scares me about him. The guy's control is all over sometimes.
                  "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

I think that with Roger Clemens, he's like the perfect pitcher, except I'd sometimes wonder how many innings he'd give us. He averaged about 6-2/3 in 2005, but I'm not too sure if he'll be able to continue playing. He's still obviously got great "stuff", but over the course of 5 starts a month for 4-5 months, he'd really need to work out hugely over the winter to continue at the very high level he's established over 24 seasons I think.

I'd definitely take him, but I think I'd be just as pleased if Proctor held his ground when given a chance. I wouldn't expect him to be Roger Clemens out there, but if he can keep us in the game, not walk too many, get a few K's when he really needs them, I'd be a happy camper.

Sometimes I'd just like to believe that I'd be less about the name that's not on the back of the jersey (a play on the Yanks' nameless jerseys) and more about their performance over 3-4 consecutive outings. Just be consistent, go throug the side nicely 3 times, don't get lit up like a Christmas tree.
                    for Clemens I have the idea that he could be a spot starter so he has time with his family anmd gets rest in
                    2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

Just read some sad news about Scott. He'll probably not join the team to start the season as he's at home with his wife and seriously ill infant daughter. I came across this at this ESPN.com article discussing the rotation entering the season and Carl Pavano being shut down.

My thoughts are with Scott and his family and I hope everything turns out ok.

Comment

I definitely hope all goes well with Proctor and his family. I'm pulling for this guy.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X