Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Season: 2006

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Yankwood
    Time to relax, guys. Any time you are in the lead and take a game off the schedule and the lead remains the same, is a good thing. Not great, but OK. It was a good chance to rest a bullpen that needed rest. Last night's game was a chance to do that and the fact that Boston lost, well, all things considered, all is good.
    Couldn't agree with you more. After the long weekend series, the team really needed to rest the bullpen. Last night did the trick and the Yanks got away with it by not losing any ground. Sure a win would have been nice, but in the bigger picture, last night served a valuable purpose.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by DoubleX
      Couldn't agree with you more. After the long weekend series, the team really needed to rest the bullpen. Last night did the trick and the Yanks got away with it by not losing any ground. Sure a win would have been nice, but in the bigger picture, last night served a valuable purpose.
      Well we win today nice job by Wang and the Emporer defeats the King
      2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

      Comment


      • Blown call by the ump cost Wang a possible shutout. Oh well.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by DoubleX
          Blown call by the ump cost Wang a possible shutout. Oh well.
          Not sure what you mean and I`m not sure I care but what are you talking about?
          2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
            Not sure what you mean and I`m not sure I care but what are you talking about?

            The 1B Ump blew the call on a grounder up the middle which Cano got to, he fired to 1st and beat the runner by 1.5 steps...but the Ump called him safe.
            "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

            Comment


            • Originally posted by TonyStarks
              The 1B Ump blew the call on a grounder up the middle which Cano got to, he fired to 1st and beat the runner by 1.5 steps...but the Ump called him safe.
              That's the one. It was a great play by Cano. That would have been out no. 3, but instead, Sexson scored on the play and then Wang gave up a couple of more hits resulting in another run.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by DoubleX
                That's the one. It was a great play by Cano. That would have been out no. 3, but instead, Sexson scored on the play and then Wang gave up a couple of more hits resulting in another run.
                Well thats hard luck. Well at least it wasn`t in a 1 run game and that deciding the game.
                2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Yankwood
                  Time to relax, guys. Any time you are in the lead and take a game off the schedule and the lead remains the same, is a good thing. Not great, but OK. It was a good chance to rest a bullpen that needed rest. Last night's game was a chance to do that and the fact that Boston lost, well, all things considered, all is good.
                  You do make a good point that not all games need to be won. I remember in 2001, Piniella drove the Mariners very hard, then could only muster one blowout win vs the Yanks in the ALCS. It seems like Torre doesn't try for every single win later on in the season. Could be to rest his pitchers.

                  Still, Wright definitely needs to be more reliable. He's shown good and bad performances, so it's not really anything consistent from him.

                  Randy's on the hill tonight. If he can give us another 7 innings, but with only 3 ER instead of 5 as against Boston on Saturday, our bats should provide the rest.
                  Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                  Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                  THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                  Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                  Comment


                  • Apparently, Tuesday's loss wasn't such a little thing, as Randy Johnson just lost. With Boston's 2-1 win, the lead is now down to 5.5 games. This coming into Anaheim (no AL team plays in Los Angeles, so that's what I'm calling them) where only winning 1 game wouldn't be such a good thing.

                    We couldn't hit Washburn, but he gave up 4 runs in 8 innings. Not ugly, but certainly not great either. Not many strikeouts, but it I'd give him a B+. I wish he didn't go 8 innings, as I wonder how well he'll do the next time.

                    Wright, Lidle and Karstens pitch for us in Anaheim, and I'm hoping that Lidle wins his game, since I'm not supremely confident in Wright at the moment. If we manage a win in that game, we may win the series.

                    This weekend's 3-gamer will end the "21 games in 20 days" thing, as our boys finally get a day off. Just when I complained about having to work every weekend!

                    After that, it's Home Sweet Homestand for Detroit then Minnesota, and afterwards, flying to KC. Let's hope we can win 2 of 3 from a few of these, and sweep one or two of them.
                    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                    Comment


                    • Too bad Randy didn't win, he pitched well enough overall to deserve it, but he took one for the team. A complete game (8 innings) and the relievers got a needed break. Still, seeing 16 LOB hurts. They had their chances. I wish that when they're having a hard time hitting someone, they'd just resort immediately to little ball and move the runners along. Still, did anyone really expect to see the team 5-1/2 games up at this point? I know I didn't. It could all come down to the final series, which is why this rivalry is so great.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Mattingly
                        Apparently, Tuesday's loss wasn't such a little thing, as Randy Johnson just lost. With Boston's 2-1 win, the lead is now down to 5.5 games. This coming into Anaheim (no AL team plays in Los Angeles, so that's what I'm calling them) where only winning 1 game wouldn't be such a good thing.

                        We couldn't hit Washburn, but he gave up 4 runs in 8 innings. Not ugly, but certainly not great either. Not many strikeouts, but it I'd give him a B+. I wish he didn't go 8 innings, as I wonder how well he'll do the next time.

                        Wright, Lidle and Karstens pitch for us in Anaheim, and I'm hoping that Lidle wins his game, since I'm not supremely confident in Wright at the moment. If we manage a win in that game, we may win the series.

                        This weekend's 3-gamer will end the "21 games in 20 days" thing, as our boys finally get a day off. Just when I complained about having to work every weekend!

                        After that, it's Home Sweet Homestand for Detroit then Minnesota, and afterwards, flying to KC. Let's hope we can win 2 of 3 from a few of these, and sweep one or two of them.
                        Over the course of this tough 28 game stretch we are 10-8 and the only series we`ve won is the Boston one. This may sound impossible but we need a series win to cap off the road trip, go home. Then finish up this stretch somewhere above .500 and with a substantial lead. Hopefully then we can go off on some win streak against these weaker teams and make Boston start paying more attention to the WC teams than the Yankees

                        Interesting note about the Boston series. Beckett had acut on his finger after 6 innings
                        2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

                        Comment


                        • The Anaheim series is going to be a tough one to win. This is the only team with a winning record against the Yanks in the Torre era. They always play the Yanks tough. Add in the great bullpen of the Angels and considering that the backend of the Yankee rotation is starting these games, I will be happy with one win. Even if the Yanks get swept, it will still be a successful road trip.

                          Comment


                          • Just imagine: before we played Seattle, they had an 11-game losing streak. Winning 2 of 3 against us, coming fresh off the Boston series, is like their version of the Boston series. Only getting swept in 4 games at Kansas City, MO's Kaufmann Stadium would've been worse, as done in 2005.
                            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                            THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by rustyray
                              The Anaheim series is going to be a tough one to win. This is the only team with a winning record against the Yanks in the Torre era. They always play the Yanks tough. Add in the great bullpen of the Angels and considering that the backend of the Yankee rotation is starting these games, I will be happy with one win. Even if the Yanks get swept, it will still be a successful road trip.
                              It's because Torre just gets totally outmanaged by Mike Scoscia. Like last year's ALDS, Torre decides to bat A-rod, who led the AL in HRs, slugging %, and OPS, 2nd, even though we won the division with A-rod batting cleanup the entire season. Everyone remembers A-rod batted 133 in the series, but they forgot he obped 440. The Angels weren't going to pitch to him anyway, but what Torre did just helped the Angels in their strategy -- just put A-rod on, and let scrubs like Matsui and Sheffield try beat you. In the series, Matsui went 200/273/400 (773 ops) with only 1 rbi on a solo HR. Sheffield went 286/286/318 (604 ops) with 2 rbis. Combined, they stranded 30 runners in 5 games.

                              Comment


                              • Does anybody know if we have to face Jered Weaver? I am affraid that we will certainly lose when he is on the mound.

                                I know the Yanks have a hard time in Anaheim (I'm a poet ), but at home we took two games from them. I try to stay positive. h

                                I still can't forgive Lucifer's antipodeans to beat my favorite team in the only game I have seen the Yanks play... :grouchy :grouchy

                                C'mon Yankees, let's kick some holy butts!!! :gt

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X