Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Season: 2006

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by ssbguyincognito
    When we play the Angels, who are a small ball team, Torre tries to change his team to a small ball team and play their style. That's why in last year's ALDS, he batted A-rod 2nd behind Jeter, because he wanted speed at the top of the lineup. I consider it one of the stupidest decisions ever by a manager. Would Mike Scoscia ever bat Vlad 2nd? Would Francona bat Ortiz 2nd?

    Remember, last year, A-rod led the AL in HRS, slugging percentage, OBP (and therefore OPS). We won the division with A-rod batting cleanup the entir eyear. Then, going into the playoffs, Torre changes the lineup. He leaves it to Matsui and Sheffield to drive people in. They had horrible series; remember, A-rod OBPed 400+ even though he only batted 133. The Angels just pitched around him every game.

    Also, Torre likes to call hit and runs against the Angels, when we clearly aren't that type of taem. They generate offense by singles, bunts, stolen bases, hit and runs etc... We do it by walking and hitting the longball. IT's not like they change their offensive phislophsy when they play us. WHy does Torre do it when we play them?
    Well I`m one of the strange foreign pro Sabermetrics guys so I`m of the opinion that your best hitters should bat in descending order but I see your point. Actually we do have that ability to score runs that way note the fact that we are 2nd in the league in homers.

    For now, BERN BABY BERN. Give me another 6th outfielder with that much production . We're doing well for now but it looks like our bullpen is finally hurting from no days off with Proctor giving up a run ALREADY. Luckily Boston is looking pretty pitiful right now and maybe just maybe we can pull off a win.
    2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

    Comment


    • I've heard that theory too, that batting your best hitters at the top of the lineup is better because it gives the more ABs. However, this applies to an entire season. In a short series, especially when the whole world knew the Angels were going to pitch around A-rod, Torre used a strategy which helped the Angels. They could just put A-rod on (which they did) and then get Matsui and Sheffield out (which they did a lot in those 5 games). Instead, if you keep A-rod 4th (or at least in a cleanup 3-4-5 slot), then when the people in front of him are on, you have to pitch to him. It's the same reason why the Giants didnt bat Bonds leadoff in his prime. If you do, and he gets walked, the rest of the lineup won't do jack do bring him in. You keep him 4th and hope when eh bats there are people on.

      I still get angry about last year's ALDS, because we were the better team. There's no better example of how Torre can really hurt this team when he overmanages.

      Comment


      • Why did they take Karstens out so early?

        Farnsworth = useless. Green = whooooooooops!
        "It ain't over 'til it's over" - Yogi

        Comment


        • Originally posted by ssbguyincognito
          I've heard that theory too, that batting your best hitters at the top of the lineup is better because it gives the more ABs. However, this applies to an entire season. In a short series, especially when the whole world knew the Angels were going to pitch around A-rod, Torre used a strategy which helped the Angels. They could just put A-rod on (which they did) and then get Matsui and Sheffield out (which they did a lot in those 5 games). Instead, if you keep A-rod 4th (or at least in a cleanup 3-4-5 slot), then when the people in front of him are on, you have to pitch to him. It's the same reason why the Giants didnt bat Bonds leadoff in his prime. If you do, and he gets walked, the rest of the lineup won't do jack do bring him in. You keep him 4th and hope when eh bats there are people on.

          I still get angry about last year's ALDS, because we were the better team. There's no better example of how Torre can really hurt this team when he overmanages.
          Very very true.

          I HATE KYLE FARNSWORTH and Nick Green.

          I think you can figure out why
          2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

          Comment


          • Originally posted by mikesty
            Why did they take Karstens out so early?

            Farnsworth = useless. Green = whooooooooops!
            Rookie, second career start. He could end up being like Melky, an undiscovered talent in the minors. Well Torre is bringing in the Melk Man to play Left for Bernie. That could help. Inning should be over for Mariano the great.
            2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

            Comment


            • Eh cut Green a break. He's pretty good most of the time, anyone would probably make errors if you jumped positions like that every other day.

              Looks like A-Rod made a good play from 3rd on,

              Originally posted by gameday
              Maicer Izturis reaches on a fielder's choice out, third baseman Alex Rodriguez unassisted. Mike Napoli out at 3rd. Chone Figgins to 2nd.
              How'd that happen?

              Melky and Mo are in :/
              "It ain't over 'til it's over" - Yogi

              Comment


              • Originally posted by mikesty
                Eh cut Green a break. He's pretty good most of the time, anyone would probably make errors if you jumped positions like that every other day.

                Looks like A-Rod made a good play from 3rd on,



                How'd that happen?

                Melky and Mo are in :/
                Yah noticed that. Mariano is truly amazing. He got 5 outs withoput allowing a run in that situation. Hopefully we can get through the 9th as well and Boston can lose.
                2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

                Comment


                • Originally posted by mikesty
                  Looks like A-Rod made a good play from 3rd on,



                  How'd that happen?
                  Napoli ran out of the baseline.

                  Comment


                  • We go up 8-0 and then hang on for a 11-8 win.

                    Bernie had a great day. He went 4-for-5, 2 HRs (he almost hit 3 out) and 6 RBIs. Cano went 4-for-5 as well hitting 2 RBIs. My man Jeter hit 2 HRs as well having 3 RBIs.

                    Karstens pitched well for his first win. Farnsworth didn't have it today. Mo came in to nail down the win. Green made a costly error when he misplayed a DP grounder and the Halos scored a couple of runs.

                    Ended the road trip 7-4.

                    Day off tomorrow before another tough series at home vs. Detroit.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
                      Yah noticed that. Mariano is truly amazing. He got 5 outs withoput allowing a run in that situation. Hopefully we can get through the 9th as well and Boston can lose.
                      He'd have gotten out of the 8th with only 1 run had Nick Green not booted the 4-6-3 play. A run would've scored from 3B, since there were no outs.

                      I have no idea why Proctor was used in a 7-run game. Why is the overused MR guy used instead of the mopup guys?

                      Farns was a piece of work tonight. 1 runs, singles, walks. Leaves with the bases loaded, a run in and not one single out recorded. That's why you rest your good pitchers on games like this should've been.

                      Mo was likely scheduled to pitch, as he hadn't done so in awhile. Still, for 2 innings? Good thing we're off on Monday. The 21 games in 20 days has finally finished, but not without drama.

                      As they'd said on the YES radio show, the guys with the rings are clicking on 12 cylinders. Bernabe's day was today. He gave us the win today.

                      Jeter = 3-for-5, 2 R, 2 HR, 3 RBI
                      Abreu = 2-for-4, 1 R
                      Cano = 4-for-5, 2 R, 2 RBI
                      Bernie = 4-for-5, 2 R, 2 HR, 6 RBI

                      I'll take it, even if it's an ugly win.
                      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Mattingly
                        He'd have gotten out of the 8th with only 1 run had Nick Green not booted the 4-6-3 play. A run would've scored from 3B, since there were no outs.

                        I have no idea why Proctor was used in a 7-run game. Why is the overused MR guy used instead of the mopup guys?

                        Farns was a piece of work tonight. 1 runs, singles, walks. Leaves with the bases loaded, a run in and not one single out recorded. That's why you rest your good pitchers on games like this should've been.

                        Mo was likely scheduled to pitch, as he hadn't done so in awhile. Still, for 2 innings? Good thing we're off on Monday. The 21 games in 20 days has finally finished, but not without drama.

                        As they'd said on the YES radio show, the guys with the rings are clicking on 12 cylinders. Bernabe's day was today. He gave us the win today.

                        Jeter = 3-for-5, 2 R, 2 HR, 3 RBI
                        Abreu = 2-for-4, 1 R
                        Cano = 4-for-5, 2 R, 2 RBI
                        Bernie = 4-for-5, 2 R, 2 HR, 6 RBI

                        I'll take it, even if it's an ugly win.
                        Who is the mopup guy? Remember, the 28 games in 28 days stretch isn`t quite over yet. We need to hang on for this homestand.
                        2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
                          Who is the mopup guy? Remember, the 28 games in 28 days stretch isn`t quite over yet. We need to hang on for this homestand.
                          With the way the bus has been picking people up and dropping them off, I sometimes lost track.

                          http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASAp...e.jsp?c_id=nyy

                          Mopup = Bruney, Dotel & Myers. Likely the former two. Myers is a LOOGy (Lefty One-Out Guy, aka, a Lefty Specialist), and Villone, a regular, is our only other southpaw in the pen.

                          On Sept 1st, our list of mopup guys will increase significantly, I've heard.

                          I'll check back to see how Pavano is doing, but I think he'd gotten a paper cut or tweaked his fingernail or something.

                          I'll have to check the entire road trip also. Other than the Boston series, I heard we were like 3-11, which is pretty bad. Those west coast teams can make us look pretty bad at times.
                          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Mattingly
                            With the way the bus has been picking people up and dropping them off, I sometimes lost track.

                            http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASAp...e.jsp?c_id=nyy

                            Mopup = Bruney, Dotel & Myers. Likely the former two. Myers is a LOOGy (Lefty One-Out Guy, aka, a Lefty Specialist), and Villone, a regular, is our only other southpaw in the pen.

                            On Sept 1st, our list of mopup guys will increase significantly, I've heard.

                            I'll check back to see how Pavano is doing, but I think he'd gotten a paper cut or tweaked his fingernail or something.

                            I'll have to check the entire road trip also. Other than the Boston series, I heard we were like 3-11, which is pretty bad. Those west coast teams can make us look pretty bad at times.
                            Bruney had pitched yesterday as did Dotel I believe.

                            Pavano's right armpit is hurting now but he says it's nothing serious. It is unlikely for him to start on Thursday as was speculated and he is seeing a doctor today.
                            2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Pinstripe Pride
                              Green made a costly error when he misplayed a DP grounder and the Halos scored a couple of runs.
                              Thank you! For stating it correctly! Green misplayed the throw from ARod...even if the throw wasn't on the money, which I believe it was, Green still have more than enough time to hit the bag then toss to first. But he didn't.

                              I think it was Kubek, kept noting how ARod made the bad throw. The throw was perfectly fine..it was to the SS side of the bag, so all Green had to do was catch step,tag, and fire. I think Green was more focused on getting out of the way.
                              "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by TonyStarks
                                Thank you! For stating it correctly! Green misplayed the throw from ARod...even if the throw wasn't on the money, which I believe it was, Green still have more than enough time to hit the bag then toss to first. But he didn't.

                                I think it was Kubek, kept noting how ARod made the bad throw. The throw was perfectly fine..it was to the SS side of the bag, so all Green had to do was catch step,tag, and fire. I think Green was more focused on getting out of the way.
                                Different plays under discussion here? Maybe I have it wrong, but wasn't Pinstripe referring to the play where Rivera induced a DP ball, but it went between Green's legs, scoring a run and leaving two men on? On a different play, when Abreu threw to second and barely got the runner, Sterling said Jeter was closer to the bag but that Green got between them and took the throw, barely beating the runner to the bag. So that makes one error, one misplay, and one dubious play resulting in an out. Other than that, not a bad day at the office.

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X