No announcement yet.

The Season: 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Game Has Been Postponed Due To Rain And Will Be Rescheduled As Part Of A Day/night Doubleheader On Wednesday, August 30 At 1:05 PM And 7:05 PM EDT.

Probables: Game 1 - Det - Nate Robertson (11-10, 4.10) Nyy - Chien-ming Wang (15-5, 3.81)

Game 2 - Det - Wilfredo Ledezma (2-1, 2.08) Nyy - Jaret Wright (9-7, 4.
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• Double header tomorrow

Just annouonced on the Tigers TV station, the game will be played @ 1pm tomorrow and the 7pm game seems to be in line to start at its normal time. Or I guess what the fellow above me said at the exact same post time....

Comment

• Tomorrow's weather doesn't look THAT much better:

Tomorrow: Rain showers in the morning becoming more intermittent in the afternoon. High around 75F. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Tomorrow night: Considerable cloudiness. Low 66F. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph.
        "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• Originally posted by tigers527
          I guess, as a Tiger fan I should root for a double header. That most certainly would take Jorge out of the line up for at least 1 game, and looking at Sals' numbers...jeeeesh, you might as well have the pitcher bat for him. Although, Vance Wilson isn't pudge he would at least win the positional match up with Sal. Hey, anything that can make that FILTHY line up a little weaker, can't hurt...the Tigers side anyway.

I know what happens now though, all my Sal hating is going to lead to him having a 4-5 3RBI day, and I say bring it, and hope that Vance can have an equal or better day? Oh well, can't wait for this series......but I guess I have to wait.
          That backup C thing isn't a good thing with the Yanks. Many Yankee fans weren't too thrilled that Dioner Navarro was traded to the Diamondbacks (he's now with TB) in the Randy Johnson deal. He was expected to be our backstop.

We've had Chris Widger, John Flaherty, Wil Nieves. Heck, Posada had been mentored by current Marlins manager, Joe Girardi.

Sal Fasano was said to be some defensive guy. Unfortunately, his .222 BA & mighty .610 OPS isn't scaring anyone. I can see Torre doing this if the Yanks are winning the 1st game by a comfortable margin:
          • Game 1: Posada for 7 innings; Fasano the next 2 innings;
          • Game 2: Fasano for 7 innings; Posada to PH then catch.

It could likely work out. Fasano just needs to spend some time with Donnie Baseball talking about his hitting.
          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
            That backup C thing isn't a good thing with the Yanks. Many Yankee fans weren't too thrilled that Dioner Navarro was traded to the Diamondbacks (he's now with TB) in the Randy Johnson deal. He was expected to be our backstop.

We've had Chris Widger, John Flaherty, Wil Nieves. Heck, Posada had been mentored by current Marlins manager, Joe Girardi.

Sal Fasano was said to be some defensive guy. Unfortunately, his .222 BA & mighty .610 OPS isn't scaring anyone. I can see Torre doing this if the Yanks are winning the 1st game by a comfortable margin:
            • Game 1: Posada for 7 innings; Fasano the next 2 innings;
            • Game 2: Fasano for 7 innings; Posada to PH then catch.

It could likely work out. Fasano just needs to spend some time with Donnie Baseball talking about his hitting.
            Yeah, it was the back up catcher, all his fault. I am sure if your GM calls our GM we would give you Vance Wilson for Hideki Matsui, you guys have good back up OFers.

To your split catching theroy, would that deter Jorge from playing on thursday? I would think, given most of "hard luck" Nates' starts the phrase "comfortable margin" might not happen in the 1st game, anyway. Besides the last decision where those pale hose beat Nate like a drum take a look at both his number and his "hard luck".
            CWS- 6.2 IP 10 ER Loss (above mentioned drum)
            TEX- 8.0 IP 1 ER Loss
            BOS- 6.0 IP 3 ER Win
            MIN- 7.0 IP 3 ER Loss
            TB- 6.1 IP 2 ER Loss

See how easliy he could be 4-1 in his last 5 starts? Instead he is 1-4, hence the local nickname....Hard Luck Nate. That said, I would be surprised if there is a "comfortable margin" in the first game? but who knows?

Comment

• Originally posted by tigers527
              Yeah, it was the back up catcher, all his fault. I am sure if your GM calls our GM we would give you Vance Wilson for Hideki Matsui, you guys have good back up OFers.

To your split catching theroy, would that deter Jorge from playing on thursday? I would think, given most of "hard luck" Nates' starts the phrase "comfortable margin" might not happen in the 1st game, anyway. Besides the last decision where those pale hose beat Nate like a drum take a look at both his number and his "hard luck".
              CWS- 6.2 IP 10 ER Loss (above mentioned drum)
              TEX- 8.0 IP 1 ER Loss
              BOS- 6.0 IP 3 ER Win
              MIN- 7.0 IP 3 ER Loss
              TB- 6.1 IP 2 ER Loss

See how easliy he could be 4-1 in his last 5 starts? Instead he is 1-4, hence the local nickname....Hard Luck Nate. That said, I would be surprised if there is a "comfortable margin" in the first game? but who knows?
              I'm not sure whose fault it would be for the backup C. Perhaps Cashman's for not securing one, but he's done fine otherwise.

No way we trade Matsui. He's still got quite a bat on him. If he can get away from grounding out to 2B so often, and stay hot, he can be our DH. Exit Sheffield, as I doubt his 2006 option will be picked up. Melky seems like our best guy in LF, so I believe he stays there.

As to Posada playing on Thursday, I'm forgotten who usually plays the "day game before a night game". I believe it's Fasano. However, that's often when the day get is a "getaway game". The Yanks play at home this weekend to face Minnesota, but it's Motown that's travelling. I would consider this the same as an early afternoon game on Saturday and an 8:05pm ET ESPN game.

I could be wrong about the comfortable margin. It could go either way, and if losing, Torre would likely empty the benches anyway. If winning, I could see the switch being done. However, Mariano does like Posada, so that last inning could be vitally important to keep the battery together.

I see what you mean about hard luck. Still, the Yanks haven't done well against lefties, so it's a tossup. After losing 2 of 3 to Seattle, which was on an 11-game losing streak, then constantly being humbled by Anaheim, a 2nd place team with fewer wins than the Yanks, baseball isn't quite predictable from my viewpoint.
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

I see what you mean about hard luck. Still, the Yanks haven't done well against lefties, so it's a tossup. After losing 2 of 3 to Seattle, which was on an 11-game losing streak, then constantly being humbled by Anaheim, a 2nd place team with fewer wins than the Yanks, baseball isn't quite predictable from my viewpoint.
                At least among a small sample size
                2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

I'm not sure whose fault it would be for the backup C. Perhaps Cashman's for not securing one, but he's done fine otherwise.
                  I would think, he has assembled a team of all stars, and then some benched all stars when everyone gets healthy. However, if hockey is the template Steinberger better watch out for Illitch....remember the RedWings? They used to get everyone out there on the free agent market. The one difference is once Illitch finds his winning formula he lets it work. Instead of works it like your little general, Illitch is hands off wallet open.

Originally posted by mattingly
                  No way we trade Matsui. He's still got quite a bat on him. If he can get away from grounding out to 2B so often, and stay hot, he can be our DH. Exit Sheffield, as I doubt his 2006 option will be picked up. Melky seems like our best guy in LF, so I believe he stays there.
                  I just suggested it as I think the weak link in the Tigers defense if the LF. I know Matsui is not the "defense" solution he is better then the people the Tigers now have....with both the bat and the glove.

As to Posada playing on Thursday, I'm forgotten who usually plays the "day game before a night game". I believe it's Fasano. However, that's often when the day get is a "getaway game". The Yanks play at home this weekend to face Minnesota, but it's Motown that's travelling. I would consider this the same as an early afternoon game on Saturday and an 8:05pm ET ESPN game.
                  I just hope we don't see pudge on 1st base in the second game....If it happens you might see why I worry?

I could be wrong about the comfortable margin. It could go either way, and if losing, Torre would likely empty the benches anyway. If winning, I could see the switch being done. However, Mariano does like Posada, so that last inning could be vitally important to keep the battery together.

shrugs...In some ways I think Nate Robertson is our best pitcher, however my head tells me it is Bonderman. Hey, you guys get to face them both? I think my prediction of getting 1 win as all we need here will come true.

Comment

• Not that this is really Yankee news.

But yesterday Detroit called up their 1st Rd Pick of 2006, Andrew Miller.
                    Leyland has said that he's going to get him in an inning or two during this series.

Just thought that was interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyStarks
                      Not that this is really Yankee news.

But yesterday Detroit called up their 1st Rd Pick of 2006, Andrew Miller.
                      Leyland has said that he's going to get him in an inning or two during this series.

Just thought that was interesting.
                      That is interesting.
                      2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

• Wang is throwing another Gem out there.

Does anyone know how many Quality starts he has?

(Too lazy too look myself)

Wang does it again ladies and germs!!
                        Last edited by TonyStarks; 08-30-2006, 12:34 PM.

Comment

• Would anyone else like to see more of Brian Bruney? He has 9 ks in 5 IP.

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleX
                            Would anyone else like to see more of Brian Bruney? He has 9 ks in 5 IP.
                            I do.
                            I also want to see:

J.Brent Cox
                            Philip Hughes
                            Tyler Clippard
                            TJ Beam
                            Jose Veras
                            Colter Bean

Brett Gardner

Comment

I do.
                              I also want to see:

J.Brent Cox
                              Philip Hughes
                              Tyler Clippard
                              TJ Beam
                              Jose Veras
                              Colter Bean

Brett Gardner
                              The pitching future looks about as bright as I can remember it, especially since the Yankees for the first time in years actually seem dedicated to holding onto their guys. I'm actually confident that we'll see a few of these guys contribute in the years to come. Up until this year, I'd probably say that each one, except maybe Hughes, would be traded for another overpriced and declining veteran.

Comment

Wang is throwing another Gem out there.

Does anyone know how many Quality starts he has?

(Too lazy too look myself)

Wang does it again ladies and germs!!
                                http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...?playerId=6209
                                4/16 @ MIN: 7.0 IP, 1 ER
                                4/26 v TAM: 7.0 IP, 2 ER
                                5/7 @ TEX: 6.0 IP, 3 ER
                                5/12 v OAK: 8.0 IP, 0 ER
                                5/17 v TEX: 8.0 IP, 2 ER
                                6/6 v BOS: 7.0 IP, 1 ER
                                6/13 v CLE: 7.1 IP, 0 ER
                                6/18 @ WAS: 8.1 IP, 3 ER
                                6/28 v ATL: 8.0 IP, 2 ER
                                7/8 @ TAM: 8.1 IP, 1 ER
                                7/17 v SEA: 7.0 IP, 2 ER
                                7/28 v TAM: 9.0 IP, 0 ER (only 2 hits allowed)
                                8/2 v TOR: 8.0 IP, 0 ER
                                8/18 @ BOS: 6.0 IP, 3 ER
                                8/23 @ SEA: 7.0 IP, 2 ER
                                8/30 v DET: 7.2 IP, 0 ER

I'd say that any game with 7+ IP and 2 ER is awesome, and 8+ IP with 0-2 ER is a gem. CMW definitely pitched a gem for us this afternoon.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X