Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Season: 2006

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Another well pitched game by Nate Robertson, or at least as well pitched as giving up 10 hits could be. Oh well, hard luck Nate collects another loss.

    I see where Torre has moved the starters around. It was scheduled to be Ledezma v Randy Johnson. Instead the starters have been flipfloped, I just hope this move does not work out to be a Yankees sweep. As the inexpierenced Ledezma might not be up to out dueling Jared Wright? Leaving the match up on thrusday being Bonderman v Johnson. Given Johnsons last start against the Tigers, when he seemed to remember who he was, after he started off the season not up to form. Giving up 2 H 3 W and 0 R in 6 IP in late may against the Tigers. I think tonight is a much needed win for the Tigers (just so they can keep their heads up), with the rubber match being a big question mark?
    Last edited by tigers527; 08-30-2006, 03:08 PM.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by tigers527
      Another well pitched game by Nate Robertson, or at least as well pitched as giving up 10 hits could be. Oh well, hard luck Nate collects another loss.

      I see where Torre has moved the starters around. It was scheduled to be Ledezma v Randy Johnson. Instead the starters have been flipfloped, I just hope this move does not work out to be a Yankees sweep. As the inexpierenced Ledezma might not be up to out dueling Jared Wright? Leaving the match up on thrusday being Bonderman v Johnson. Given Johnsons last start against the Tigers, when he seemed to remember who he was, after he started off the season not up to form. Giving up 2 H 3 W and 0 R in 6 IP in late may against the Tigers. I think tonight is a much needed win for the Tigers (just so they can keep their heads up), with the rubber match being a big question mark?
      I think one of the Yankees announcers said that Johnson had been moved because Torre wanted Posada to catch both Wang and Johnson, and that wouldn't happen if both pitched today.

      Johnson remembers who he is about once every four or five starts, leading everyone to say each that, "Johnson's back." I don't think he'll ever be back for more than a game or two at a time.
      Last edited by DoubleX; 08-30-2006, 03:12 PM.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by DoubleX
        I think one of the Yankees announcers said that Johnson had been moved because Torre wanted Posada to catch both Wang and Johnson, and that wouldn't happen if both pitched today.

        Johnson remembers who he is about once every four or five starts, leading everyone to say each that, "Johnson's back." I don't think he'll ever be back for more than a game or two at a time.
        At least, from my point of view, I can hope that Randy forgets who he is, for at least this start coming up. Although, the free swinging Tigers can make a pitcher throwing his B- game look like an A+....I've seen it far to often of late.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by DoubleX
          The pitching future looks about as bright as I can remember it, especially since the Yankees for the first time in years actually seem dedicated to holding onto their guys. I'm actually confident that we'll see a few of these guys contribute in the years to come. Up until this year, I'd probably say that each one, except maybe Hughes, would be traded for another overpriced and declining veteran.
          Well like I`ve often said, I became a fan in the 2004 ALDS and Cashman was kind of slowly gaining control of things then so I don`t know about the Boss's free spending veteran favored ways but this picture looks absolutely stunning.
          2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

          Comment


          • Well the offense looks pathetic and Wright is actually putting together a solid start. It feels like we're playing Chien Ming Wang, we can`t elevate a ball.
            2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

            Comment


            • Originally posted by DoubleX
              The pitching future looks about as bright as I can remember it, especially since the Yankees for the first time in years actually seem dedicated to holding onto their guys. I'm actually confident that we'll see a few of these guys contribute in the years to come. Up until this year, I'd probably say that each one, except maybe Hughes, would be traded for another overpriced and declining veteran.
              As bright as you could remember? When the hell has the Yankee future, regarding pitchers, even looked bright? It's always been cloudy.

              Besides Andy P. and Mo...what else has the system produced in the last 20 years? Bob Wickman? Jim Mecir? Damaso Marte?
              "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

              Comment


              • Derek Jeter....comes thru again.
                "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

                Comment


                • Originally posted by TonyStarks
                  Derek Jeter....comes thru again.
                  I know how all those RedSox fans feel, at the moment. I almost don't want to admit he is from Michigan.

                  Comment


                  • Proctor just served up a 3 run HR in the 9th with 2 outs. It sucks, because we were very close to winning. It's technically not over yet, as Todd Jones has to pitch the 9th.

                    Still, I hope this game doesn't turn the Tigers' season around -- we were breaking their spirits, about to sweep a doubleheader. This loss won't mean anything for our playoff chances (the division is all but guaranteed).

                    Comment


                    • #@*$ Proctor :grouchy

                      Need a rally!

                      Comment


                      • what a load of crap, as walks will kill you every time. why didnt farnsworth close?
                        Cheering the Yanks from various parts of Asia

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by AVA8
                          what a load of crap, as walks will kill you every time. why didnt farnsworth close?
                          Cause, Farnsworth lost a game earlier in the season to the Tigers. Just a guess?

                          That was a great GAME...the cardiac cats (as they are calling the Tigers in these parts) as that was the 16th win they have collected during their last ABs.

                          Comment


                          • I'm not sure that in the grand scheme of things, this game was all that important. However, I hate losing games like this with someone other than Mo on the mound in the 9th because Mo was deemed to be "unavailable." Certainly, I understand that he can't pitch if he pitches, say, three nights in a row. I know that he threw 15 or so pitches in the first game, but should that really make him unavailable for the evening game, especially considering that the Yanks just had two days off? I dislike the idea of saving him for the next game, because there's no guarantee that he'll even be needed in the next game, or even in the next week. My preference would be to make the best effort to win the games you have a chance to win, and let tomorrow take care of itself. For all we know, tomorrow's game can be 15-0 (one way or the other) in the 9th. Unfortunately, you can't go back and use him to win the previous game.

                            I'm guessing at this point that Torre is managing for the playoffs, considering that the Red Sox are so far back. He's, no doubt, more patient than me, and is trying to win the war rather than the battle. However, it's still frustrating to lose because Proctor can't get the ball over the plate (other than the meatball that he served up), when Mo is sitting in the pen.

                            Comment


                            • I think Joe remembers 2004, when Mo and especially Gordon were just burned out in October because they pitched so much during the regular season.

                              This was basically a meaningless game -- the Sox are done, we've won the division, and I think we've proved we can beat up on the Tigers when we need to. After all, had Joe used Rivera every game, we'd easily be 6-0 against the tigers, instead of 4-2.

                              I am more concerned about A-rod now, he looks like he just wants to get any type of hit possible.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by AVA8
                                what a load of crap, as walks will kill you every time. why didnt farnsworth close?
                                In his last game, he had about 2 singles, a walk, allowed a run, left Mo with a train wreck of bases loaded, no outs--in the 8th inning.

                                My only suggestion would've been to use Mo for that 3rd out. However, with his unavailability, he very likely hadn't done any kinds of warmup or anything. Without this, just bringing him in cold could've left us with an ineffective Mo.

                                Times like this, I see a pitcher (especially an overworked one like Proctor), he should just IBB the batter. If he's unsteady, walks someone like Curtis Granderson, then has trouble finding the plate, I think that bad things happen about then. The combo of men on base, pitcher's inability to find the plate always bother me. It's like I can see a HR happening.

                                Even if the next batter, Craig Monroe would've been IBB'd, that would've loaded up the bases. Choices, choices.

                                In hindsight, perhaps Villone could've pitched to another batter, then bring in Proctor for the last 2 guys. Torre seems to prefer whole innings for pitchers. As much use as Proctor has seen, 2/3 of an inning may have been good.
                                Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                                Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                                THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                                Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X