The Season: 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SD Bomber Fan
    I'm not sure that in the grand scheme of things, this game was all that important. However, I hate losing games like this with someone other than Mo on the mound in the 9th because Mo was deemed to be "unavailable." Certainly, I understand that he can't pitch if he pitches, say, three nights in a row. I know that he threw 15 or so pitches in the first game, but should that really make him unavailable for the evening game, especially considering that the Yanks just had two days off? I dislike the idea of saving him for the next game, because there's no guarantee that he'll even be needed in the next game, or even in the next week. My preference would be to make the best effort to win the games you have a chance to win, and let tomorrow take care of itself. For all we know, tomorrow's game can be 15-0 (one way or the other) in the 9th. Unfortunately, you can't go back and use him to win the previous game.

I'm guessing at this point that Torre is managing for the playoffs, considering that the Red Sox are so far back. He's, no doubt, more patient than me, and is trying to win the war rather than the battle. However, it's still frustrating to lose because Proctor can't get the ball over the plate (other than the meatball that he served up), when Mo is sitting in the pen.
    Not quite a meaningless game. What about playofff positioning? If we have the best record we don`t have to face the Twins or Sox in the first round.

Tough and frustrating loss. I was SO sure that we were going to pull off a sweep when Villone got out of the jam. Proctor's control worries me. When he's on he always makes you sweat. Teams in the playoffs are going to hit these meatballs with runners on base. Last night was just a display of that.
    2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

• Quick check with the game fresh in mind:

Who here would've used Mo for the final out last night? Take into account it was his night off and he'd have needed to do his usual warmup and some throwing. Would you have had him do his warmups + throwing as a "just in case" thing? Would you have kept Proctor? If you'd have brought someone else in, who would you have brought in?

Me, I'm a bit caught in diferent solutions. Perhaps a mound visit by Joe & Ron would've helped, letting Proctor know we needed that win. After that 2nd walk, this off a guy who's only got 58 this season including last night's, I figured that was a strong indicator that he'd lost focus and sight of the zone.
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by tigers527
        I know how all those RedSox fans feel, at the moment. I almost don't want to admit he is from Michigan.
        He was actually born in Pequannock, NJ and lived here a bit then moved to Kalamazoo or whatever it's called.
        "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• He did his part

Originally posted by Mattingly
          I'm not sure whose fault it would be for the backup C. Perhaps Cashman's for not securing one, but he's done fine otherwise........ I believe it's Fasano.
          I thought Sal did a more than adequate job in game 2 yesterday; his double was the first Yanks hit, and getting HBP the way he did was brilliant. His work behind the plate was superb and he is far better than any other catcher that was available after the AS break. Now if Buck Martinez could learn to pronounce his name, instead of calling him "Fosada", maybe folks wouldn't be so down on the journeyman turned pinstripe back-up.
          Baseball is a ballet without music. Drama without words ~Ernie Harwell

Comment

• Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
            Not quite a meaningless game. What about playofff positioning? If we have the best record we don`t have to face the Twins or Sox in the first round.
            Actually, the best record, if it indeed falls between the Tigers and the Yanks, and the Twins or WhiteSox win the WC. The Yanks would have to face the AL central WC winner, regardless where in relation to the Tigers their record stands. As the WC winner never faces a team from the same division in the opening round. It is the reason you guys and Boston always met in the ALCS, over the past few years.

The only ways the Yanks would not face either the WhiteSox, or Twins. Is if one of the following happens; the unlikely event that the WC comes from a division other then the Central. The Tigers get passed by in the standings by either the WhiteSox, or Twins. In which case the Yanks would play the Tigers in the 1st round. Also, if Oakland passes the Yankees in the standings, then assuming the Tigers win the central, Oakland would play the WC winner. Again making a Yanks v Tigers first round. In other words, it would be unlikely, as things stand now for the Yanks not too meet the WC in the central. Although, certain events could happen that would make a Yanks v the central winner.
            Last edited by tigers527; 08-31-2006, 11:02 AM.

Comment

• Get the bullpen up!! Get the bullpen up!!
              "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• Should have swept'em!

Johnson goes 8 IP, but gives up 3 HRs. That 2-run shot in the 9th brought back quick thoughts of last night. Mo picks up his 33rd save.

Yankees hit the ball well, 14 hits, but left too many runners on.

Another good series up next against the Twins. Looks like we face Silva, Baker, and Garza.

Comment

• Good day today.

ARod needed a day like this, the bullpen too. Even got a curtain call!

At least he didn't pull a Carlos Beltran and decline.

Comment

• I know I'm hearing that Mo's elbow is sore, but was there nobody else available to pitch the 9th today beside Unit?

I think that asking him to pitch the 9th was overkill, as he's no spring chicken. Heck, guys 7 years younger than him are described as not being spring chickens!

8 IP, 2 ER would've been a wonderful performance, a gem. As soon as he'd walked that guy, I'd have seen if Proctor could've gotten one out (just to throw him back into the water, philosophically speaking), then seeing if Villone and Myers could've pieced together 2 more outs.
                    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Well, it was nice chatting with all you Yanks fans....since, the Tigers series is over though, I am off. I guess, I will talk to you all again when the Tigers v Yanks ALCS happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by tigers527
                        Well, it was nice chatting with all you Yanks fans....since, the Tigers series is over though, I am off. I guess, I will talk to you all again when the Tigers v Yanks ALCS happens.
                        Yes, but will you be wishing us well in the WS?

Comment

• Originally posted by trosmok
                          I thought Sal did a more than adequate job in game 2 yesterday; his double was the first Yanks hit, and getting HBP the way he did was brilliant. His work behind the plate was superb and he is far better than any other catcher that was available after the AS break. Now if Buck Martinez could learn to pronounce his name, instead of calling him "Fosada", maybe folks wouldn't be so down on the journeyman turned pinstripe back-up.
                          His game yesterday did surprise me. Normally, I'd say it would be Jeter getting the only hit. One day when Pedro was outright filthy, we'd managed to scratch, claw & cheap-hit something like a 2-1 win off him and Jeter did just that. It's always been luck against that guy.

With Sal, nobody could figure he'd be doing anything other than swinging at air. A double amazed me. Scoring when Jeter knocked in himself and the Melkman, Melky Cabrera was icing on the cake.

Too bad Proctor couldn't get that 3rd out. Oh well, great series. Come visit us again, Sir Tros!

Comment

• I was at the game and it was my first game I ever say Mo!!!! Randy was definitely Dandy. Good move by Torre leaving him in, it was a low risk, high reward gamble and unfortunately we had to deal with the low risk but that was a mere increase in ERA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
                              Just wondering..I thought that you couldn't play your own division in the first round..therefor the Tigers wouldn't be able to face Sox or Minn, so we'd have to face whichever it is?

Comment

• Originally posted by ChasRR15
                                Just wondering..I thought that you couldn't play your own division in the first round..therefor the Tigers wouldn't be able to face Sox or Minn, so we'd have to face whichever it is?
                                I forgot about that.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X