The Season: 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sandlot
    Was this a poor outing? One run was on a bounce off Cano's glove, messing up an inning-ending double-play. Four innings of zeroes. Then a few base hits when he got the sinker up. I really question Torre's taking him out in that situation, because he induces ground balls; with three men on there was a play at any base, and guy at the plate was 0-2. Had he ended the inning, and with his low pitch count, Wang could have started the next frame and we see what happens from there. That eats up more work and gives the relievers a break. I also think that Wang has to learn to pitch himself out of those jams -- he's only in his 2nd year -- and this was his shot at win number 17. Get this, and maybe he gets to 20 on the season. That doesn't happen all too often in most pitchers' careers. He's pitched well enough to deserve it, but now Beam gets a win, and for what? Throwing a wild pitch, giving up an RBI double and finally getting the third out. Wang would have done any worse? Doubt it. Most unfair to Wang.
    I think DX was refering to Wang's numbers @ home, as opposed to away.
    There is a huuuuuge difference. Wang is a monster @ home...he's more human when pitching on the road.

I actually think it's kind of wierd, but Yankee stadium ain't exactly pitcher friendly with 'the porch' and any signs of wind...ayyyy pobresito.
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• Well it feels like we have had no control over the outcome of this game at all. No hits with RISP and now the bases are loaded with nobody out with the Royals up. We could have gotten the lead runner without this misplay by Mussina.
      2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

• Mussina has forgotten how to throw a strike with it 2-0. Ugh, we need a break somewhere and the ChiSox aren`t helping us. Boston just won a 1-0 game. 3-1 now and the hitter. We need a win tonight.

Just had a DP which is good, on the other hand they scored another run and still have a runner on third. Mussina needs to make this his bad inning and close this inning out.

Well the inning is over finally and we're down 3-0, it could have been worse I guess.
        Last edited by Mariano_Rivera; 09-05-2006, 06:19 PM.

Comment

• 0-5 with RISP. Pretty pathetic.

Comment

• Giambi's OPS in September: 263.

Comment

• Originally posted by ssbguyincognito
              Giambi's OPS in September: 263.
              Giambi's streakiness from the middle of last year has caused me to raise an eyebrow or two. It's just weird how he'll go on a tear for three weeks and absolutely crush the ball, then have three weeks where he reverts to that nearly useless lumbering player that we saw in 2004 and the first half of 2005, only to bounce back and go on a tear for three weeks, and so forth.

Comment

• Just another poor game against a 7.00+ ERA pitcher that the Yanks just can't touch. We can beat Pedro in his prime by scrapping out a win, but we can't touch a scrub.

Monday's game was against a pitcher whose ERA was just under 6, yet he'd gone 7 innings, 1 ER and 10 K. We should have some guy we'd DFA'd throw BP for us, just to get us into the groove.

I remember a few years ago, Chan Ho Park acted like he was just tossing the ball to the catcher. He could toss anything, no matter whether it was over the plate or not and our guys would strike out on it. He had absolutely nothing, yet we couldn't touch him. He must've had an 8.00 ERA or higher.

Now that Boston's finally winning again, the Yanks have to step on the gas. If the Pale Hose want the WC, they should at least start to win a few more games.

Moose hasn't pitched in 2 weeks, but his ERA is still south of 4.00. He's not getting 20 wins this year. Not by a longshot.

Not one run scored against a team we'd handed their heads to on Monday. Pretty bad.
                Originally posted by DoubleX
                Giambi's streakiness from the middle of last year has caused me to raise an eyebrow or two. It's just weird how he'll go on a tear for three weeks and absolutely crush the ball, then have three weeks where he reverts to that nearly useless lumbering player that we saw in 2004 and the first half of 2005, only to bounce back and go on a tear for three weeks, and so forth.
                He could be cycling, like you'd mentioned. Does seem weird that he goes in his day/night mode of being overpowering to being a miniturized version of this. It's like for several weeks, he's Superman, the next few weeks, he's Clark Kent.
                Last edited by Mattingly; 09-06-2006, 01:26 AM.
                Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleX
                  On the bright side this means that he`ll either go on a tear to help the Yanks if Boston can catch up to us at the end of Spetember or he`ll go on a tear in October.

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleX
                    I'd read somewhere that he'd cut his finger or something. It was some minor injury that, while it didn't keep him out of the lineup, did make him less effective.

I have no idea why his stats seesaw back & forth.

===================

Any thoughts on Lidle? Good? Need a larger sample size to determine? Any ideas on how well he should do this month? He starts tonight, so I figured I'd ask around.
                    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Bottom 7th trailing 8-2??? :grouchy :grouchy

Thanks goodness Boston is helping so far.

Comment

• good 9th inning so far, 9-4 two out.

anyone see the "hidden ball trick" that Damon and Mazz pulled on the rookie?
                        The kids first major league hit, Mattingly hands the ball to Lee Mazz and slides it behind him, while he takes a ball from Damon and tosses it into the stands. Nice to see the team in good spirits! Also Mattingly clean shaven!
                        "I see no reason why a small-market team like the Twins or Expos can't continue to remain competitive, just because it lacks players," Selig said.

Comment

• Isn't it wonderful knowing that our starter can't get out of the 2nd inning? After a 2-run single to Tejada with the bases loaded, Jose Veras promptly serves up a 3-run blast.

Those 5 runs killed our game tonight. Now we've gotta win at least 2 of this 4-gamer, which ends on Monday.

Wang, Moose and Unit are on deck. Hopefully, they'll step it up on the road.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                            Isn't it wonderful knowing that our starter can't get out of the 2nd inning? After a 2-run single to Tejada with the bases loaded, Jose Veras promptly serves up a 3-run blast.

Those 5 runs killed our game tonight. Now we've gotta win at least 2 of this 4-gamer, which ends on Monday.

Wang, Moose and Unit are on deck. Hopefully, they'll step it up on the road.
                            Wang+road=bad On the other hand the Magic number is down to 14 since Boston helped us out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
                              Wang+road=bad On the other hand the Magic number is down to 14 since Boston helped us out.
                              I'd rather that number have been 13 had the Yanks won. I'd rather that we win even if they do also. If we win, they lose, we gain a game. If we lose, they can only game a game or keep in place.

As to Wang:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...hing&year=2006

He's only pitched at Camden for a 1.2 inning save. As to his facing the Birds, Tejada and Millar should be pitched to carefully. Hopefully, he doesn't have any meltdowns which put 2 RISP with very few outs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...=6209&teamId=1

He's going to have to do this one on guts and willpower. Let's see if the pitch count stays low, the sinkerballs do sink, and he gets a few comebackers, fields them well.
                              Last edited by Mattingly; 09-09-2006, 06:58 AM.

Comment

• Jeter's hit streak is in its 19th game.

Giambi's left wrist, where he gets his power strike from, has been bothering him for awhile, so here's something on him:

Giambi to see doctor
                                BALTIMORE -- With a nine-game AL East lead over Boston, the Yankees could worry about things such as who'll take the ball in the fourth game of the AL Division Series.

Worry, they might -- all the way to October.

Cory Lidle couldn't make it through the second inning of Friday night's 9-4 Orioles victory at Camden Yards, and the Yankees' frustrations didn't end there.

After another hitless game, Jason Giambi said that he'll have his aching left wrist reexamined today -- the possible start of an extended period of rest for the lefty slugger.

"I just came back too quick. I'm going to talk to the doctor," said Giambi, who was 0-for-3, with two pop outs and a strikeout. He has just one hit in his last 25 at-bats.
                                Last edited by Mattingly; 09-09-2006, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X