The Season: 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
    Wang+road=bad On the other hand the Magic number is down to 14 since Boston helped us out.
    I take this back
    2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

• Farnsworth came into the game in the 9th, and got the save today. He is absolutely scary, and not in a good way. He consistently misses his spots, can't consistently get anything over the plate other than his fastball, and, though it didn't happen today, is susceptible to the meltdown. I would chalk him up as the first mistake of the Cashman in charge era. He can't be trusted in any tight situation.

I've been away on business for a while, but I've been meaning to ask: Will Giambi get another hit this year? I know he has some problem with his wrist, but he has been just plain awful. In addition to not hitting, the number of walks seems to have dropped noticibly. He has no business being the DH at this point. Either put him in the field since history shows that he hits better when playing 1st, or get him out of the lineup.

Comment

I take this back
        Too late. Into a corner of your room and cower! No Yankee navy bean soup for you, just bread & water! I'll even add sugar, since it's Saturday.

I've noticed that Wang, unlike in most ofhis prior quality starts, of which this was certainly a gem, started but only faced one batter in his final inning, the 8th. Seemed interesting, as Mike Myers faced the 2nd batter, Nick Markakis, a lefty, who popped out to Nick Green at 3B. Scott Proctor faced only Miggy Tejada, a highly important guy who's had a gazillion hits off the Yanks and once had all 4 hits (4-for-4) against the Yanks once. Otherwise, they would've been hitless.

I would've given Proctor another batter in the 9th, forgetting about the save (you need at least an inning when leading off with a 1- to 3-run lead). Since Farns hasn't pitched in awhile, that may have meant the "smaller bites" thing.

It all worked out in the end, Proctor did his job against the O's most lethal hitter, and despite the Kevin Millar dinger, Farns still got the save. Yanks win. Let's get the rubber match done and won!

Yanks have another chance to be 29 games >.500 tomorrow. Let's see.
        Last edited by Mattingly; 09-09-2006, 04:26 PM.
        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by SD Bomber Fan
          Farnsworth came into the game in the 9th, and got the save today. He is absolutely scary, and not in a good way. He consistently misses his spots, can't consistently get anything over the plate other than his fastball, and, though it didn't happen today, is susceptible to the meltdown. I would chalk him up as the first mistake of the Cashman in charge era. He can't be trusted in any tight situation.

I've been away on business for a while, but I've been meaning to ask: Will Giambi get another hit this year? I know he has some problem with his wrist, but he has been just plain awful. In addition to not hitting, the number of walks seems to have dropped noticibly. He has no business being the DH at this point. Either put him in the field since history shows that he hits better when playing 1st, or get him out of the lineup.
          Farns hasn't pitched in awhile. I figured that Torre rolled the dice and gave him a bit more trust than I would've. 2 outs would've been enough for me. Farnsworth hadn't pitched in a few days either, but I'd trust Proctor more.

I could imagine Proctor being the setup in the playoffs. I'm not too crazy about any "Farnsworth or bust" thing for the setup. Either he can do it well and consistently or Proctor gets the ball is my thing.

As to Giambi, I'm hearing during the game that he'd last gotten a cortisone shot, but played the next day. I hear that you need to take a few days off before playing again. Suzyn Waldman said that Giambi won't be the DH for a few days, beginning on Sunday.

If Giambi gets rest, gets the cortisone shot (I'm unsure if the team physician gives the prescription for this or not), gets more rest, we could see him next around Saturday. Unlike what I'd normally expect a week without Mo and a week without Giambi could be a good thing.
          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Giambi is out. Two cortisone shots and you can forget about him for a few days, minimum. But Matsui's on his way back after AA and could be in the lineup soon. Matsui's going to DH, no secret there, and if he make decent contact they'll leave him in and let him get his eye back while Giambi heals. While Giambi has certainly contributed, no doubt, I fear this nagging injury stuff isn't going to go away. For his sake I hope it does, but in my heart I think it's going to worsen over time, and that the injuries will be more frequent while the recovery times lengthen. I'd rather have a healthy Sheff, all factors considered -- he'd certainly be better at 1B. I know getting rid of Giambi is a problem, but so is keeping him.

Comment

Farnsworth came into the game in the 9th, and got the save today. He is absolutely scary, and not in a good way. He consistently misses his spots, can't consistently get anything over the plate other than his fastball, and, though it didn't happen today, is susceptible to the meltdown. I would chalk him up as the first mistake of the Cashman in charge era. He can't be trusted in any tight situation.

First time I`ve ever agreed with you I think and in this case, boy do I.

Comment

First time I`ve ever agreed with you I think and in this case, boy do I.
                Well, I'll certainly sleep a lot better now, knowing that you agree with me.

Comment

• Is something wrong with A-Rod? He hasn't been in the lineup the last two days.

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleX
                    Is something wrong with A-Rod? He hasn't been in the lineup the last two days.
                    Stomach virus is keeping him out of a few games.

Giambi got a cortisone shot yesterday. He'll be out for awhile. Giambi mentioned to Suzyn (or it must've been done previously, which Suzyn recited) that his playing through the injury made it worse, so the Yanks are being cautious with this guy. Let's hope they got it in the right spot, since if you get it in the wrong spot, it doesn't work as well. Ouch!

Matsui's expected back on Tuesday.

Comment

Well, I'll certainly sleep a lot better now, knowing that you agree with me.
                      Happy to help

A-Rod looks a lot better today, he's 1-2 with a single and a K.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gameday
                        Top 2ND B:1 S:0 O:2
                        Johnny Damon lines into a force out, shortstop Miguel Tejada to second baseman Brian Roberts. Aaron Guiel scores. Melky Cabrera out at 2nd. Johnny Damon to 1st.
                        Can someone explain this???
                        "It ain't over 'til it's over" - Yogi

Comment

• Originally posted by mikesty
                          Can someone explain this???
                          Not sure which play you mean.

Johnson is having an off-night, not a horrendous night but an off-night. Here's Abreu with the bases-loaded.

Comment

• Who else is on the Brian Bruney bandwagon? Two more strikeouts tonight. He has been phenomenal for the Yankees and has to be strongly considered for the postseason bullpen.

Comment

• Talk about clutch in the close-late thing. An A-Bomb ... from A-Rod, according to Sterling, gives the Yanks a 9-6 lead. Any amount of cushion when Farns is closing and Mo is out makes me happy.

Comment

• Does anyone else think that the Yanks should shut down Proctor for a while, or at least curtail his use? When he's on, he's an important part of the Yank's bullpen. However, it is very clear that he has been overused this year. Despite the amount of innings pitched, he still gets brought into meaningless games when the Yanks either have a big lead or are behind by several runs. Why keep flogging him to the finish line, especially with the expanded roster? Did he really need to pitch tonight?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X