The Season: 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mikesty
    I know he can bunt because I've seen him do it, i've seen him bunt for hits on the overshift.
    Speaking of the bunt, I wish that Giambi would do it more often, especially when he's in a slump. I was hoping that he would bunt with Colon on the mound, since I couldn't really see Colon hopping off the mound to field it. Of course, Giambi broke out of the slump with a HR, so I'm glad that he didn't bunt. However, he does hit into that shift an incredible number of times. A few well placed bunts for base hits would pull teams out of that shift, or at least make it less severe. Without that shift, his BA would probably be 25 points higher.

Comment

• Originally posted by SD Bomber Fan
      Speaking of the bunt, I wish that Giambi would do it more often, especially when he's in a slump. I was hoping that he would bunt with Colon on the mound, since I couldn't really see Colon hopping off the mound to field it.
      I agree 100%. Seriously, Posada could bunt against Colon and outrun it. I have absolutely no idea why people don't bunt against Colon 24/7. Seriously, when the yanks play him it should be Damon/Jeter/Giambi/A-Rod. The first 3 all bunt for a base hit and then A-Rod brings them all home with one swing
      "It ain't over 'til it's over" - Yogi

Comment

• Originally posted by SD Bomber Fan
        Speaking of the bunt, I wish that Giambi would do it more often, especially when he's in a slump. I was hoping that he would bunt with Colon on the mound, since I couldn't really see Colon hopping off the mound to field it. Of course, Giambi broke out of the slump with a HR, so I'm glad that he didn't bunt. However, he does hit into that shift an incredible number of times. A few well placed bunts for base hits would pull teams out of that shift, or at least make it less severe. Without that shift, his BA would probably be 25 points higher.
        I actually recall that last year when Giambi was slumping early on, he did try to bunt down the third base line to get a hit. I don't think he got the hit, but I was blown away just to see the effort. His bat got going shortly after. I'm sure if I were dig hard enough, I can find a post I made last year when Giambi made the bunt.

Comment

I had a curious thought today - let's have Giambi lead off. He takes so many walks, just get him to lead the game off with a walk. Then, put Cairo in for the rest of the game.

AFAIK sheff went 0-5 on this very day - what the hell? 5 chances and nothing? Sheffield is so bad and he needs to be dropped in the lineup to at least 5 or 6. I think Giambi should actually bat ahead of him. Why? Say A-Rod (batting cleanup) gets on 1st to lead off the 2nd. A walk from Giambi or even a bunt would do good. I know he can bunt because I've seen him do it, i've seen him bunt for hits on the overshift. Plus, imagine the defense with A-Rod on 1st and Giambi at the plate. They'd be flipping out between an overshift and covering A-Rod.
          I agree. As I pointed out earlier, Sheffield has left 24 runners on base so far this year. That's a ridiculous amount. In contrast, A-Rod has left 14 runners and Giambi 9. There are have already been a number of situations this year when there were runners in scoring position with less than 2 outs, and even bases loaded, and Sheffield has not come through, and worse, has hit into double plays. After his terrible spring, I'm starting to think that the inevitable decline has begun for Sheffield (which could mean that Cashman was wise to not actually pickup Sheffield's 2007 option this spring).

Comment

• Right, Game 6. They lost the first two and then won 4 in a row. I missed Damon's bunt today. Would it be a crime to ask Sheffield and Giambi to bunt?

I just keep thinking of the beginning of the second game of the season as a bad omen of things to come...Damon singles, Jeter doubles...men on second and third and no one out....Sheffield stikeouts out, then A-Rod and then Giambi. NO RUNS SCORED...two men LOB.

I just hope men LOB isn't gonna be a big stat this year.

Comment

I had a curious thought today - let's have Giambi lead off. He takes so many walks, just get him to lead the game off with a walk. Then, put Cairo in for the rest of the game.

AFAIK sheff went 0-5 on this very day - what the hell? 5 chances and nothing? Sheffield is so bad and he needs to be dropped in the lineup to at least 5 or 6. I think Giambi should actually bat ahead of him. Why? Say A-Rod (batting cleanup) gets on 1st to lead off the 2nd. A walk from Giambi or even a bunt would do good. I know he can bunt because I've seen him do it, i've seen him bunt for hits on the overshift. Plus, imagine the defense with A-Rod on 1st and Giambi at the plate. They'd be flipping out between an overshift and covering A-Rod.

There are a lot of situations, so the logic that A-Rod is currently batting cleanup to lead off the 2nd inning is nonsense. If you have the top three as Damon, Jeter, and Matsui there is no way that there should ever be a 1-2-3 inning so why bother planning for that? Oh wait, that's because Sheffield is batting 3rd... that's why we need to plan for the second... see?

I like the idea of Matsui and A-Rod duking it out for 3/4 spots and maybe shef/giambi for the 5/6, but my master plan would result in L/R/L/R/L/R for the top 6. On the contrary, A-Rod batting 3rd gives a speed boost, but I think Matsui's versatility at the plate is much better. I guarantee he can sac bunt Jeter and Damon over.
              Strangely enough I was thinking the excact same thing especially since his OBP is 80 points higher. Of course then you have to remember two more stats you waste Damon's speed anywhere else and Giambi's power.

That is a good plan I was just trying to find the logic in Torre's decisions. I can`t see Matsui batting 4th. A-Rod's power and Matsui's power are not even comparable.
              Originally posted by DoubleX
              I agree. As I pointed out earlier, Sheffield has left 24 runners on base so far this year. That's a ridiculous amount. In contrast, A-Rod has left 14 runners and Giambi 9. There are have already been a number of situations this year when there were runners in scoring position with less than 2 outs, and even bases loaded, and Sheffield has not come through, and worse, has hit into double plays. After his terrible spring, I'm starting to think that the inevitable decline has begun for Sheffield (which could mean that Cashman was wise to not actually pickup Sheffield's 2007 option this spring).
              The word decline implies that he is getting worse slowly not by this much this fast. He is slumping but the decline is beginning now. It would not have been a good idea to pick up Sheffield's option next year their are a few good outfielders out on the free agent market assuming they are not traded.
              Last edited by Mariano_Rivera; 04-12-2006, 07:58 AM.
              2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

• Originally posted by gehrigfan
                I just hope men LOB isn't gonna be a big stat this year.
                It was throughout last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleX
                  It was throughout last year.
                  Well you can always hope...

Comment

• Yesterday's made the 9th straight Home Opener that Torre has won. Interesting. At least gets half of the monkey off the Yanks' back after the 4-game sweep we suffered at Kaufman Stadium last season.

If it takes KC for us to finally win a series, as opposed to Oakland or Anaheim, I'll take it. Let's see if we can win 100 games this time.
                    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                      Yesterday's made the 9th straight Home Opener that Torre has won. Interesting. At least gets half of the monkey off the Yanks' back after the 4-game sweep we suffered at Kaufman Stadium last season.

If it takes KC for us to finally win a series, as opposed to Oakland or Anaheim, I'll take it. Let's see if we can win 100 games this time.
                      we just can`t beat KC or the D-Rays

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                        Yesterday's made the 9th straight Home Opener that Torre has won. Interesting. At least gets half of the monkey off the Yanks' back after the 4-game sweep we suffered at Kaufman Stadium last season.

I'll trade 100 wins for the Series. The '96 team won just 92 games. The '99 team won 98 games. And the '00 team won just '87 games! Of the last four Yankees teams to win over 100 (98, 02, 03, 04), only one won the World Series, the '98 team, and that team can stake a claim to best team ever. Of the other three, only the '03 team made the Series.

Comment

• Heavy in the Superstar Area

Originally posted by DoubleX
                          Ugh, I hope these first few games aren't a portend of things to come. I'm starting to long for Eli and the Giants to get back on the field.

I've been thinking about this for a while, and I think the Yankees would be much better off without Sheffield and Giambi. There's just something about them that never really seemed to fit into me, and this goes back to sigining Giambi in 2002. I can't really put my finger on it, but I think their removals would ease the tension and let the team get back to business. Maybe it has something to do with steroids, I don't know, but at the very least, using steroids does speak volumes of character, so in that respect it wouldn't be a coincidence that I singled out Sheffield and Giambi.
                          I think you might have something here. We won 4 championships in 5 years with great team players...Paul O'Neil, Tino Martinez etc....and once we started adding all these "superstars", it seems we've lost a lot of team chemistry. It started with Giambi, then Sheffield and hit the extreme with A-Rod. I think we're going further and further away from that INTANGIBLE thing that has made champions of the Angels, Red Sox and White Sox...and I think it might have something to do with being a little too heavy in the superstar dept.

Bottom line, lose Sheffield and Giambi, and the Yankees can get back to basics and discover some character, IMO. Teams aren't meant to have so many superstars. It creates too much pressure and those little yet important things are foresaken. The team needs role players, and not 5 guys playing the superstar role.
                          I agree if we wanna trim the superstar fat off this club, Giambi and Sheffield would be the best choices. A-Rod doesn't cause too many chemistry problems and Matsui is a great team first guy, so these two are the logical choices. I might add dumping Cano (and that miserable attitude of his) now when his blue book value is high in a trade for some much needed younger better pitchers would really help us get back to 1998.
                          Last edited by gehrigfan; 04-12-2006, 10:24 PM.

Comment

• Comments in Quote

Sorry part of my comments are in your quote. I'm really bad at this.

Comment

• Maybe Sheffield read some of my posts from yesterday. He had a great game, didn't leave anyone on base!

Comment

• Originally posted by gehrigfan
                                I agree if we wanna trim the superstar fat off this club, Giambi and Sheffield would be the best choices. A-Rod doesn't cause too many chemistry problems and Matsui is a great team first guy, so these two are the logical choices. I might add dumping Cano (and that miserable attitude of his) now when his blue book value is high in a trade for some much needed younger better pitchers would really help us get back to 1998.
                                Sheffield would be the best but I like Giambi's OBP. You would have to be crazy to give up Cano. If you want to get back to 1998 then I suggest you take advantage of a young middle infielder in his 2nd or 3rd year. In '98 you had Jeter now we have Cano. Unless Albert Pujols is on the market it is a bad idea. The only trade worth Cano that is realistic that I can think of is Cano for Dontrelle Willis. Unfortunately that doesn`t fit the Marlin's needs. Even a young pitcher wouldn`t work out right now we have 7 capable starters. They all do have questions but we still have 7 starters. The SP isn`t as bad as people think it has the potential to be one of the best in the AL.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X