The Season: 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SD Bomber Fan
    Does anyone else think that the Yanks should shut down Proctor for a while, or at least curtail his use? When he's on, he's an important part of the Yank's bullpen. However, it is very clear that he has been overused this year. Despite the amount of innings pitched, he still gets brought into meaningless games when the Yanks either have a big lead or are behind by several runs. Why keep flogging him to the finish line, especially with the expanded roster? Did he really need to pitch tonight?
    I agree. He looked very, very strong after the all-star break, and that's probably because he had extended rest. Torre seems intent on using him everyday, no matter what the situation - close games or blowouts either way. With the Yanks way up, give some of the young guys, like Bruney, Beam, and Veras more time and let Proctor get ready for the postseason.

Comment

Does anyone else think that the Yanks should shut down Proctor for a while, or at least curtail his use? When he's on, he's an important part of the Yank's bullpen. However, it is very clear that he has been overused this year. Despite the amount of innings pitched, he still gets brought into meaningless games when the Yanks either have a big lead or are behind by several runs. Why keep flogging him to the finish line, especially with the expanded roster? Did he really need to pitch tonight?
      Someone should send a memo to Torre that Proctor can be shut down. Villone also.

Farns didn't have any hiccups tonight, he had a 3-run lead. Bruney has done well for us, and tonight was definitely a pressure cooker scenario.

If Torre would stop using Proctor as our mopup guy when we've got 6- or 8-run leads, that may help. Why use your top middle reliever in that case? It's not like he doesn't get enough work.

Proctor should be shut down until Friday, I believe. Just sit him in the dugout and let him chat with his teammates, get a great view of the game.
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
        An A-Bomb ... from A-Rod, according to Sterling.
        Let's pray Sterling never calls a Yankees game in Japan. The color might be lost in translation. I dread to think what he'd come up with if there were ever a Yankee named Osama.

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleX
          Who else is on the Brian Bruney bandwagon? Two more strikeouts tonight. He has been phenomenal for the Yankees and has to be strongly considered for the postseason bullpen.
          First Proctyor now Bruney!!!! He's been great.
          2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

Yeah, Torre should give Dotel more innings. Villone has been Farnsworth esqu of late. Don`t use him because he can`t pitch right now because he is so tired.

Comment

• Originally posted by sandlot
              Let's pray Sterling never calls a Yankees game in Japan. The color might be lost in translation. I dread to think what he'd come up with if there were ever a Yankee named Osama.

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleX
                Who else is on the Brian Bruney bandwagon? Two more strikeouts tonight. He has been phenomenal for the Yankees and has to be strongly considered for the postseason bullpen.
                I told you I was all for him getting a spot on the Post Season roster.
                I really love what I've seen from him.

I think that Torre should start giving him some of Proctor's load until the 2nd Season starts.

Proctor should be limited to 3 games a week. I want him well rested going into October.
                "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• 9 runs in the 1st inning. Abreu got 3 RBI twice. 58 opposing pitches. Wow!
                  Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Wow.....

I like how the Yanks are showing the Rays this isn't 2005.
                    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• I love tonights lineup. It's incredible and everyone seems to be clicking, not just tonight, but in general right now (except for Giambi).

Matsui received a nice ovation, nice to see it. What kind of ovation do you guys think Sheffield will get when he returns?

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyStarks
                        Wow.....

I like how the Yanks are showing the Rays this isn't 2005.
                        I say that either we use the "B" team on Wednesday or the Yanks may have some tired bats. Blowouts are often followed by low-scoring games.

Comment

• Octavio Dotel should pack it in He's horrible

I haven't seen this dude pitch a good inning
                          Is Torre insane trusting this dude?
                          If the Yanks trade him I would like to know who would want him

Comment

• Originally posted by Hank Parks
                            Hes pitched all of what, 9 innings? Let him pitch right now, it doesnt even really matter anymore... If he can become effective than he should make the post season roster, if not, leave him off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hank Parks
                              In a 12-run game, Torre can afford to give a guy a few chances. It's not like he'll keep him in until 8 opposing runs have scored. Obviously, Torre has to see whether or not he's worthy of his trust. If he allows far more runs than innings, that's an issue.

I wouldn't suggest that Dotel be used in a tight game right now. However, his monthly total is 3.0 innings including last night.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...?playerId=3950

If not him, then the Yanks have in the pen for October:

Rivera
                              Farnsworth
                              Proctor
                              Villone
                              Bruney
                              Myers

Perhaps one or two others, but I wouldn't worry too much about this.

Comment

• I was expecting Matsui to come back strong, but 4/4 -- even with a couple of soft drop-ins for singles -- what a great way to return. You have to be really happy for him. The two ovations were terrific; I can't imagine how he must have felt. What was even more touching, in a way, was when he forgot to tag at second, then began thumping himself on the chest for failing to do something basic. A perfectly understandable mistake from a guy who's missed 110 games, had a standing ovation before his first at-bat and just gotten on base -- his head must have been swimming. Me, I'd be someplace over the moon. But Suzyn Waldman said he came back to the dugout later and apologized for not keeping focused. No wonder Torre loves this guy. Abreu -- another foot on the drive to the wall and he'd have had, what, 11 RBI? Incredible. He's making Cashman look like Einstein. So many things to like about this game, it seems niggling to mention Dotel. And pretty soon Sheffield's back. No soft spot in this lineup anywhere.

Question: Jeter's hitting streak -- is it still intact? Officially the three walks mean no at-bats, but he did play and he did not get a hit. So what's the verdict? Waldman also said that Torry apologized for forgetting about the streak and lifting Jeter before he'd had another at-bat. Jeter said to forget about it because "I wasn't going to catch Joe. D. anyway." Nice.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X