No announcement yet.

The Season: 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's this "Vasquez" guy you speak of? I remember someone named "Vazquez" whose name keeps getting misspelled. Kind of like the "Rodrigues" and "Rodriguez" thing.

Anyway, Godzilla hit the 2nd 3-run HR of the 1st inning ... on the 14th pitch of his AB! Wow.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/[email protected]

Hideki Matsui: Strike looking, Foul, Ball, Foul, Foul, Ball, Foul, Foul, Ball, Foul, Foul, Foul, Foul, Matsui homered to right, Rodriguez and Cano scored.
    Last edited by Mattingly; 09-25-2006, 04:27 PM.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
      Who's this "Vasquez" guy you speak of? I remember someone named "Vazquez" whose name keeps getting misspelled. Kind of like the "Rodrigues" and "Rodriguez" thing.

Anyway, Godzilla hit the 2nd 3-run HR of the inning ... on the 14th pitch of his AB! Wow.
      Yeah, and many here still want to keep him riding the pine in the postseason.

Comment

• I've heard that Torre's pencilled in Jaret Wright's name as the #4 starter in the 1st round. He's definitely gotta pick us up. He allowed a double and a walk in the 1st round. Thankfully, the BB followed the 2B, or we would've either had an RBI or 2 RISP. He struck out the next two batters.

There's an old saying in baseball that if not dominating, you can give up hits or you can give up walks, but you can't give up both. Hopefully, he can work himself out of this and just have a great game. After Unit and Moose got skunked at Tropicana, splitting the 4-game series wouldn't be so bad.
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Originally posted by EvanAparra
          Yeah, and many here still want to keep him riding the pine in the postseason.
          I'll put it to you this way:

There's offense and then there's defense. In the ALDS, and granted that the Yanks are fortunate enough to make it to the ALCS, we still have the DH. We can sort things out, based upon his playoff performance up to that point, what we'll do with him.

So long as he hits this way, he's our DH. Giambi is sitting, and when he plays, he'll either play 1B or sit. I think that Matsui has more to offer offensively right now.

With Cabrera, you've got a guy who doesn't have to worry about any bad rolls or spins on the grass, turf or whatever. He's young, he bounces around, he's expected to be fine. I say keep him in LF, and keep Matsui as the DH.

I don't see Matsui sitting anytime this season or postseason. I just don't want to see him playing the field until 2007. By then, he should have healed further. We can have his bat in the lineup as a DH.

Comment

• 9 pitches and Wright goes uno-dos-tres.

Comment

• Albeit 'tis the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, this is one of the best butt-kickings I've seen in a while. When Mo comes in for a fling in the 7th, you know you really stink.
              "It ain't over 'til it's over" - Yogi

Comment

• I think Wright has get the call for Game 4 of the ALDS. He hasn't been stellar, but he's proven more often than not this year that he can give a team 5 or 6 good innings and keep the team in the game. I've been pleasantly surprised by Wright this year, especially considering that I've expected almost nothing from him for the past two years.

Comment

• Per the postgame interview with Torre:

Randy Johnson, who's been pitching with an achy back for his past 3 starts, will be shut down until October. I agree with this move. The man's lights out when his back's working. Otherwise, he stinks to high heaven. No in-between for this tall drink of water.

Comment

• Can someone please call Torre and tell him that he HAS to reserve a bullpen spot for Bruney?
                    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

Per the postgame interview with Torre:

Randy Johnson, who's been pitching with an achy back for his past 3 starts, will be shut down until October. I agree with this move. The man's lights out when his back's working. Otherwise, he stinks to high heaven. No in-between for this tall drink of water.
                      Fine by me. Should give Karstens and/or Rasner a good opportunity to make one last strong impression, and perhaps wrestle a postseason spot away from Lidle or Villone.

Comment

Per the postgame interview with Torre:

Unfortunatel he`ll be pitchiong on over 10 days rest
                        2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

• Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
                          Unfortunatel he`ll be pitchiong on over 10 days rest
                          There's quite a few times I wish that Johnson had gotten more rest. If your back aches, a little rest could do him well anyway.

It's only 1 start he'll be missing, as next Monday is the last game of the regular season. Johnson is set to be our #3 starter, so that'll be after a "travel day". How'd you come up with 10 days' rest? On which day is the 3rd game of the ALDS (Yanks vs whoever) set to be played?

Originally posted by DoubleX
                          Fine by me. Should give Karstens and/or Rasner a good opportunity to make one last strong impression, and perhaps wrestle a postseason spot away from Lidle or Villone.
                          Lidle, I'm iffy about. If he makes a good start and/or 2 good relief appearances, I can deal with this. However, since Wright held himself up well yesterday, as we didn't win last night's game 16-8 or some other silly score, I'm happy he's given us a good #4 starter.

Still very worried about Moose and Unit, but we've got no choice but to keep them onboard.

Wang is our ace.

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyStarks
                            Can someone please call Torre and tell him that he HAS to reserve a bullpen spot for Bruney?
                            If he doesn't, you'll hear me screaming in the background about this.

BTW, I'll need to sneak in a bullhorn during the games if Bruney isn't being used. The man's been very good to us lately.

Originally posted by DoubleX
                            I think Wright has get the call for Game 4 of the ALDS. He hasn't been stellar, but he's proven more often than not this year that he can give a team 5 or 6 good innings and keep the team in the game. I've been pleasantly surprised by Wright this year, especially considering that I've expected almost nothing from him for the past two years.
                            http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/[email protected]

He had 4 walks, 4 Ks, 5 hits in 6 innings. Although his BB:K ratio was 1:1 last night, the number of hits weren't on the high side. A few too many walks for my comfort, but it's not like he gave up 12 hits and 8 walks. If he can continue doing this against Toronto on Saturday at YS-II, I'll be happy.

All he needs to do to end the season on a high note and I'm a happy camper.

Comment

• Is it just me, or does Bobby Abreu seem to have pretty poor range and closing speed on balls? One of the complaints out of Philadelphia was that he didn't go hard at balls - I think I'm seeing that.

Comment

• It's nice that the team has been crushing the ball the past few games, but to me that's indicative of falling back into the pattern that has doomed the team the past few years. Sitting back and waiting for the long ball is not a good strategy, and I fear the team, with Matsui and Sheffield back, has already lost that scrappiness that defined the team for much of this year. Come postseason time, where all three other teams have strong pitching staffs, the Yankees power could go out for a couple of games, as we've seen so many times in the past few years, and that is fatal in the postseason.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X