No announcement yet.

The Season: 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeter is running out of time to get those last 4 RBI. I think not getting to 100 could hurt his MVP candidacy. It's silly, but 100 looks a whole lot better than 99, and I think it will make a difference. So does anyone think that in the 4 games remaining, Torre should drop Jeter in the lineup to 3rd in order to give him some more RBI opportunities?

Comment

• No. Let the stats come naturally.
      "It ain't over 'til it's over" - Yogi

Comment

• Originally posted by mikesty
        No. Let the stats come naturally.
        Yup. Plus hes Derek Jeter! He nor Torre never care about stuff like that!

It will be truely stupid if some writers dont give him MVP because he doesnt have 100 RBIs.. If its for other reasons than that's fine, but an RBI difference of 2 or 3 is just ridiculous, and I know that a couple votes will probably be lost because of this.

Comment

• Originally posted by EvanAparra
          Yup. Plus hes Derek Jeter! He nor Torre never care about stuff like that!

It will be truely stupid if some writers dont give him MVP because he doesnt have 100 RBIs.. If its for other reasons than that's fine, but an RBI difference of 2 or 3 is just ridiculous, and I know that a couple votes will probably be lost because of this.
          Numbers like that make a difference. Writers are stupid - they like to assign misguided significance to shiny round numbers. Don Sutton's in the Hall of Fame because he pitched mostly for good teams for a long time and passed 300 win; Bert Blyleven was a significantly better pitcher but got saddled with a ton of no decisions and losses in which he should gotten a win, and as a result is sitting on the outside of the Hall because he only has 287 wins (I figure he should actually have won, and deserved to win around 320-330). I think Dale Murphy might have already punched his ticket to the Hall of Fame had he made it to 400 homeruns; but 398 doesn't look as spectacular and it's likely holding him back in the voting.

Comment

• Originally posted by mikesty
            No. Let the stats come naturally.
            Then they probably won't come.

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleX
              It's nice that the team has been crushing the ball the past few games, but to me that's indicative of falling back into the pattern that has doomed the team the past few years. Sitting back and waiting for the long ball is not a good strategy, and I fear the team, with Matsui and Sheffield back, has already lost that scrappiness that defined the team for much of this year. Come postseason time, where all three other teams have strong pitching staffs, the Yankees power could go out for a couple of games, as we've seen so many times in the past few years, and that is fatal in the postseason.
              I know what you're saying and take the point, but watching Matsui (hitting .400+ since his return) look at or foul off 14 pitches before hitting one out is pretty scrappy to me, and it was either the batter before or after him (I forget) who looked at seven pitches -- two batters, 21 pitches. And giving this pitching staff double-digit cushions is no bad idea, when you can. I think Matsui is being very scrappy and wants his position back, and Sheffield's being scrappy learning first on the job. Besides, when your number 9 hitter has a shot at the league batting title, it's hard not to let them swing.

Comment

• Originally posted by sandlot
                I know what you're saying and take the point, but watching Matsui (hitting .400+ since his return) look at or foul off 14 pitches before hitting one out is pretty scrappy to me, and it was either the batter before or after him (I forget) who looked at seven pitches -- two batters, 21 pitches. And giving this pitching staff double-digit cushions is no bad idea, when you can. I think Matsui is being very scrappy and wants his position back, and Sheffield's being scrappy learning first on the job. Besides, when your number 9 hitter has a shot at the league batting title, it's hard not to let them swing.
                I'm with you, but we've pretty much had this lineup for three years and we've seen that just as easily as the power goes on, the power can go off, and can go off for long periods. It's a lineup predicated on streakiness. Perhaps they're catching lightning in a bottle at the right time right now, Matsui, Sheffield, and even Giambi, have a sense of urgency to prove they are healthy and part of the team.

Comment

• So I went to the Yankee game last night.

Observations....

Wang wasn't on. He just seemed to be going through the motions as if he was tired.

Sheffield isn't a 1B.

Sheffield looks soooooo damn lazy on the field.

ARod looked sooo slow when Tejada robbed him!

And HOLY JESUS.....Cano hit an upper-deck blast!!!!
                  --

I'm not sure how it looked on TV though...but I had a blast!
                  Last edited by TonyStarks; 09-28-2006, 01:24 PM.
                  "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

It's nice that the team has been crushing the ball the past few games, but to me that's indicative of falling back into the pattern that has doomed the team the past few years. Sitting back and waiting for the long ball is not a good strategy, and I fear the team, with Matsui and Sheffield back, has already lost that scrappiness that defined the team for much of this year. Come postseason time, where all three other teams have strong pitching staffs, the Yankees power could go out for a couple of games, as we've seen so many times in the past few years, and that is fatal in the postseason.
                    Tonight and last night are examples of that eerie pattern that I was talking about where the team could be cruising one night, and then the bats go dead the next. This is what's been the Yankees biggest problem since 2004 and what has doomed them in the past two postseasons. I think Torre should really consider going with the more scrappy lineup that was so successful this year, during this postseason.

Comment

Tonight and last night are examples of that eerie pattern that I was talking about where the team could be cruising one night, and then the bats go dead the next. This is what's been the Yankees biggest problem since 2004 and what has doomed them in the past two postseasons. I think Torre should really consider going with the more scrappy lineup that was so successful this year, during this postseason.
                      Sorry, DX, I'm going to have to take issue with you. This is an occasion when we should credit the opposing player, not blame the team or that troublesome streakiness. Hernandez was simply terrific, and darn near perfect. All you can say after his performance, in spite of what could have been morale-breaking fielding errors behind him, is hats off. He deserved the standing ovation that he got. It's a cliche, but good pitching always does trump good hitting, and that's exactly why NY is facing an uphill battle in the playoffs: The opposing teams are likely to throw better pitching against the Yanks, than the Yanks will throw against the opposition. On a related matter: Anyone want to take up a collection to buy Dotel's ticket back to AAA? I'm in.

Comment

• Originally posted by sandlot
                        Sorry, DX, I'm going to have to take issue with you. This is an occasion when we should credit the opposing player, not blame the team or that troublesome streakiness. Hernandez was simply terrific, and darn near perfect. All you can say after his performance, in spite of what could have been morale-breaking fielding errors behind him, is hats off. He deserved the standing ovation that he got. It's a cliche, but good pitching always does trump good hitting, and that's exactly why NY is facing an uphill battle in the playoffs: The opposing teams are likely to throw better pitching against the Yanks, than the Yanks will throw against the opposition. On a related matter: Anyone want to take up a collection to buy Dotel's ticket back to AAA? I'm in.
                        Do you realize how tough it is to no-hit a team? Especially a team with a lineup like the Yankees featured last night? Cabrera was good last night, but a lineup like that should not be no-hit like that for 8+ innings.

Comment

DX,
                          Maybe they were tired from running around the bases so much on the previous night!

But your absolutely right on the Lineup, sans Sheff and Matsui.
                          I liked that lineup better. Don't get me wrong...I absolutely dig the long ball, but pesky hitters, grinders, or tough outs are what I absolutely prefer.
                          "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyStarks
                            DX,
                            Maybe they were tired from running around the bases so much on the previous night!

But your absolutely right on the Lineup, sans Sheff and Matsui.
                            I liked that lineup better. Don't get me wrong...I absolutely dig the long ball, but pesky hitters, grinders, or tough outs are what I absolutely prefer.
                            Wait, you dont think Matsui is a tough out? That guy has some really good long at bats.

Comment

• Originally posted by EvanAparra
                              Wait, you dont think Matsui is a tough out? That guy has some really good long at bats.
                              No sir.
                              I did not say that. I like Matsui...I just hate his 4-6-3's!!

The Yanks came all this way without him or Sheff and they were perfectly fine. Both players were an afterthought.

I don't know how this team will play come next week.
                              I just hope we don't have to go through that Terrible stat for Sheff and Matsui... 8 LOB...EACH!

Comment

• i`m back, my computer wasn`t working. They look good right now but the A's are the sleeper in this AL. If Johnson isn`t healthy I do not want to have to face theiir pitching staff.
                                2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X