The Season: 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
    i`m back, my computer wasn`t working. They look good right now but the A's are the sleeper in this AL. If Johnson isn`t healthy I do not want to have to face theiir pitching staff.
    I rather face the A's than the Twins. Santana twice in a 5 game set scares me since he is such an amazing pitcher.

Comment

• Originally posted by rustyray
      I rather face the A's than the Twins. Santana twice in a 5 game set scares me since he is such an amazing pitcher.
      Well, if it's any consolation, the Yankees overcame the Twins in the 2003 and 2004 Division Series despite Santana pitching twice both times. In 2003, Santana finished 7th in Cy Young voting, and won it in 2004. HOWEVER... Santana pitched very well in 3 of those 4 games, but thanks to shaky bullpen help, only went 1-1. On the bright side for the Yankees, I don't believe the Twins' bullpen is as good or deep as it was then; on the flipside, the Twins' lineup, with Morneau, Mauer, and Cuddyer joining Hunter, is significantly better.

Comment

• Sunday's the last game of the season. Per Yankee tradition, the players manage, are the bench coach, pitch coach, etc. I think that for Sunday, it was between Moose and Mo to be the pitch coach, but Moose won, as we may need Mo.

I'd heard about some players already chosen as coaches for a day, but forgot their names.

A few years ago, Boomer got a huge laugh when he'd seen Clemens, in Torre's spot, being the manager to take him out of a game. Hey, the privileges of being a Yankee.

Originally posted by rustyray
        We'll have to give the Twins batters a dose Chien-Ming Wang then.
        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• I guess this is the last day this thread is relevant - so get your thoughts in people before we start up "The Postseason" thread.

I have to say, the amount of activity in this thread has been amazing - 71 pages, 1776 posts thus far - outstanding. It's really fun to look back through the pages and see what we were thinking a few months back.

Comment

• Get Ready!!!!

Yeah amazing to look back at some of the posts and see the banters we`ve enganged in about A-Rod slumping, Proctor's first appearance and his later success, rants about Pavano and predictions for the playoffs. Here's my second post in this thread:

Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
            My biggest fear is the Setup Man role I`m actually very comfortable with everything else including the rotation I think Pavano is going to have a great year Wright is the one problem in it. The bullpen can`t be any worse than last year either.

Then again my predictions for the standings were correct and the setup man was shaky. Yankees lost today but their is good news. The bullpen seemed fine and Johnson is okay to pitch game 3. Wright also seems to have fought through the year. Johnson just had one bad stretch. Mussina got very little defensive support but pitched great and Wang was great as well. It looks like we're heading into the postseason with a strong rotation and a flexible offense which is exactly what Torre wanted out of ST. The bullpen seems very good with Mo coming back strong and the bridge to Mo has strengthened with the additions of Proctor, Bruney and Villone. Myers also has provided a potent weapon who should help against the Twin's Mauer/Morneau. I like what Torre's done this year, I only wish he would come to his senses and recognize that Melky is the perfect postseason fit, put Matsui at DH and Sheffield/Giambi platoon at first. As written in Baseball Between the Numbers the offensive statistic of greatest importance in the playoffs is SB and Melky is superior to Matsui in that. Melky is also the better fielder which is the biggest thing a position player can contribute. Our bech seems to be very good and this team seems to be ready for the postseason.

Rankings for the Playoffs:
            Offense- A+ As opposed to the last few years this team can steal and hit HR. Not to mention huge OBP. I think it's very important that a team can sqeak out 3-4 runs by manufacturing a few when the big bombers aren`t working

Defense- B With Matsui in left this D is diminished. Hopefully if Sheffield and A-Rod don`t do anything stupid and Torre comes to his senses with left-field then this team can be something special defensively.

Bullpen- A Probabley the best Yankees bullpen in years and possibly the best the MLB playoffs. With Mo closing it's almost automatically a B but they finally strengthened the bridge. The setup-man position with Farnsworth is disapointing compared to Flash Gordon but the MR is strengthened considerably with Proctor, Bruney and possibly Villone if he can pull it together. Myers can also be big. Anytime a lefty transforms to an automatic out your making a contribution.

Starting Rotation- A- This could easily be an A but I`m not sure which Johnson will show up and I still don`t completely trust Wright or Lidle. With 2 aces in Wang and Mussina heading the rotation out this could really be something special if the Johnson of old appears and Wright can fight through 5 solid innings each start

So those are my rankings. It's been a fun regular season but now it's time for the playoffs!!!!
            2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

• Remember the Phillip-Cairo-Pena debate

Looks like Phillips wins

Comment

• My Rankings:

Offense - A+
                Defense - C-
                Bullpen - B
                Rotation - B-

Good luck in the playoffs, can't say i'll be rooting for you, but good luck nevertheless.

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleX
                  Thought I'd get things started by discussing the 25-man roster. Right now it looks like the following, but it's subject to change depending on Scott Proctor's situation (I hope everything works out for him; I really think he's ready for a big season).
                  Heh, just thought I'd point this out. This is from the 2nd post in the thread, dating back to April 2nd.

Comment

• Originally posted by EvanAparra
                    My Rankings:

Offense - A+
                    Defense - C-
                    Bullpen - B
                    Rotation - B-

Good luck in the playoffs, can't say i'll be rooting for you, but good luck nevertheless.
                    Your underestimating the rotation.

Comment

• I`m going to miss Matt Smith but I love Bobby Abreu with this team

Comment

• Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
                        Your underestimating the rotation.
                        You are overestimating the rotation, and definately overestimating the defense.

Wang has been good, but has ONE career postseason start.
                        Mussina is a solid starter.
                        Johnson isnt pitching.
                        Wright is hardly anything to be excited about, same with Lidle.

I dont see how this rotation can possibly be given an A-.

Comment

Johnson isnt pitching.

Probably overestimating the D with a lot of optimism their but the rotation is very good:

Wang- CY candidate in any other year

Moose- HoFer and is having a fantastic season

Johnson- HoFer who will pitch in the 'LDS and is better than his ERA suggests

Wright/Lidle- Nothing to get excited about but they could give us a few wins here and there.

Comment

• The AL playoffs are now set. The Tigers have won the WC and the Twins have won the division. The matchups will look like this:

Yankees-Tigers (Yankees home)

Twins-Athletics (Twins home)

Comment

Johnson isnt pitching.

I'm not sure what my grades would be, it's tough because the Yankees that will play on Tuesday will be pretty different than the Yankees that we watched most of the summer. Though if I had to make grades, it would probably go:

Offense: A - With Sheffield and Matsui back, this lineup has a lot of potential, but this isn't a very scrappy lineup and it could go through a cold streak as we've seen time and time again in recent years.

Bullpen: B - There are some consistency questions, notably Villone and Farnsworth, but overall, I think this is the strongest the Yankees bullpen has been in a few years, and even with the struggles of some players, this is not a bullpen that has been lit up that much this year.

Rotation: -B - Johnson, as of today, feels good and will start Game 3. I don't know if that's necessarily a good thing or bad thing. Wang has looked a little shaky lately and Mussina cannot be relied upon as a real ace because he does have inconsistent periods. Jaret Wright will be the 4th starter if necessary, and that's not a good thing either. This grade is based on the solidness of Mussina and Wang the eternal hope that Johnson can return to form for at least one game.

Defense: C - I don't think it's as bad as some think. Cano has become very good at 2B and has good range; Jeter, I believe has not become a good defensive SS, and A-Rod seems to have sorted things out since his error-spree in the summer. He's been much, much better the past month or so. Posada has developed into a good defensive and game-calling catcher. Damon covers good ground in CF, though is arm is terrible. Abreu has a good arm, but I don't think he gets good jumps on balls or closes well on balls. Matsui is a solid fielder but he has definite limitations, especially in light of the injury. Plugging in Cabrera and Phillips in the late innings actually makes this team pretty decent defensively, IMO.

Comment

• I am much happier now that we're facing the weak Tigers in the first round instead of the Twins. I have to admit I fear the Twins; run prevention is the most important factor for playoff success - especially run prevention in late innings - and we all know the Twins can do that.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X