The Season: 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York

I am looking foward to seeing the yankees take this series in 3 games.
    LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Comment

• Just thought i would ask you guys about this...

April 22, 1997: Traded by the San Diego Padres with players to be named later and Gordon Amerson (minors) to the New York Yankees for Rafael Medina, Ruben Rivera, and $3. The San Diego Padres sent Hideki Irabu (May 29, 1997) and Vernon Maxwell (minors) (June 9, 1997) to the New York Yankees to complete the trade.

What is with the 3$... is that 3 million? Thats a pretty big chunk of change if is.

Comment

• Originally posted by EvanAparra
        Just thought i would ask you guys about this...

April 22, 1997: Traded by the San Diego Padres with players to be named later and Gordon Amerson (minors) to the New York Yankees for Rafael Medina, Ruben Rivera, and $3. The San Diego Padres sent Hideki Irabu (May 29, 1997) and Vernon Maxwell (minors) (June 9, 1997) to the New York Yankees to complete the trade.

What is with the 3$... is that 3 million? Thats a pretty big chunk of change if is.
        I'm guessing it's 3 million. My memory on this is kind of fuzzy, but from what I remember, the Padres bought the rights to Irabu for several million from his Japanese team, and he then refused to sign with any American team except the Yankees. So that 3 million might have been to compensate the Padres for all or part of the fee that they paid to Irabu's Japanese team for his rights.

Comment

• I'm just happy that Kansas City has taken out Detroit. Now we'll face them, instead of Minnesota in the 1st round. It will be interesting seeing two teams--the Twins and the A's--compete for hte ALCS, and we've beaten both of them in the first round a few times.

As to the rotation, Wang should be fine. Evan (tho I sometimes wonder if he realizes he's a visitor ) made a good point, that he's only had one playoff start. This is his moment to shine, and he'll do so at Yankee Stadium. Hopefully, he'll perform well, get lots of ground balls.

Moose did well in his last start. I'm expecting him to be consistent, return to the ace he'd become in the middle of the season. We need all aces right now.

Randy's up in the air. As mentioned, his back is the key. If his back holds up, we're fine. Otherwise, we may as well go with Karsten from here onward.

Wright, I'm not overly confident about. I'll check his record vs Detroit later on (this dial-up is slow as molasses), but I have a feeling that Lidle or Karsten are waiting in the wings if he fails us just once. He won't be spitting the bit w/o being sent to the doghouse with dry dog food, no gravy.

As to the rest, all I ask is that we have great games against Motown. We've got HFA as long as we win 3 games, then 4 games. After that, can we *PLEASE* win another 4 games? Pretty please? With each of Boston and Anaheim eliminated, this may finally be our less nerve-wracking year.
          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Am I the only one who's breathing easier knowing we're playing Detroit, rather than Minnesota?
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
              Am I the only one who's breathing easier knowing we're playing Detroit, rather than Minnesota?
              Hahaha....

No your not!

I was praying the Tigers lost.
              You tell me...feast on Kenny Rogers or the obviously tired Verlander or take on Johan Santana? I think that was easy!

Let the A's and the Twinkies duke it out.

But let me not get ahead, although I'm confident that the Yanks can sent the Tigers back to Detroit to celebrate their season...I won't be completely happy until Wang is on the Mound Game 4 handing off to Mo to shut it down!
              "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                Am I the only one who's breathing easier knowing we're playing Detroit, rather than Minnesota?
                Count me down too!

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleX
                  Count me down too!
                  Same for me

Comment

• Its just plain ownage. The Yanks are the best team in the AL, and will probably breeze their way to the WS.

Comment

• Unstickying. Please continue to post here about anything regarding the 2006 regular season.

Thx.

Comment

• Originally posted by EvanAparra
                        Its just plain ownage. The Yanks are the best team in the AL, and will probably breeze their way to the WS.
                        Looks like I was wrong... They sure LOOKED like they should have breezed through to the WS.

Comment

• I'm sad to see this thread go... Let's see if we can make 2000 posts next year!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X