No announcement yet.

The Season: 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really don't like the Yankees offensive inconsistencies. It's feast or famine. They have to fiind a way to win the low scoring games as well. Actually finding ways to win low scoring games is a good indication of a successful playoff team, if the Yankees make the playoffs. Obviously pitching is the most important ingredient to success but scoring runs against good pitching or on less offensive days is also important. Tacking on runs with a force play or sac fly really helps. Hopefully their offense will be more consistent.

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyStarks
      Question:

Why does Torre continue to bat Sheff in the 3 hole? His OBP is sub .300 now.
      Giambi would be perfect here since his OBP is phenomenal.
      The lineup would be stronger with Sheff in maybe the 5 or 6 hole, IMO.
      I agree that Torre needs to do some lineup shuffling, but I don't think Giambi batting 3rd is the answer. I'd like A-Rod to move back to 3rd and Matsui to bat 4th. Matsui doesn't have the most pop, but I have more faith in his ability to consistently drive in runs than everyone else on the team. Giambi bats 5th, Sheffield down to 6th.

Comment

• I wanted to discuss the Carlos Pena signing rumors. I really have mixed feelings on it. On one hand, I really want to see Andy Phillips get a real shot. He's toiled in the Yankees farm system for years and he tore up AAA pitching the past few years. I think he deserves this, and I think Torre would be well-advised to start playing Phillips more and DHing Giambi. Phillips glove seems pretty good too (anyone see that play he made last week going into foul territory)?

On the other hand, Pena is actually younger than Phillips, we know Pena can hit homeruns at the ML level (he hit 18 last year, 27 in '04, and 18 the year before). He has a very good glove, and was about five years ago, arguably the top 1B prospect in the whole game (I say arguably, because Nick Johnson may have had that honor). So Pena may still have potential on his side.

Like I said, I'm torn. I think I'd like to see Phillips be given some real opportunities. What do you guys think?

Comment

• What It's All About

Originally posted by farmsystem
          I really don't like the Yankees offensive inconsistencies. It's feast or famine. They have to fiind a way to win the low scoring games as well. Actually finding ways to win low scoring games is a good indication of a successful playoff team, if the Yankees make the playoffs. Obviously pitching is the most important ingredient to success but scoring runs against good pitching or on less offensive days is also important. Tacking on runs with a force play or sac fly really helps. Hopefully their offense will be more consistent.

This is looking like the same team that couldn't win it all last year. The reason the Yankees can't win those close games...when they run into good pitching (which will certainly happen again this year if they make the playoffs)...is because they rely too much on the long ball. I thought Torre was trying to get away from this in Spring training but the massive disparity in run support proves that this isn't the case.

The bottom line is...we hit home runs, we win. If we run into good pitching and they keep the ball in the park, we lose. So we'll pummel the weak pitchers all year long and score an average of like 8 runs/game against them, and then lose 3-2 or 4-1 to decent pitchers when we can't homer.

This is the problem in a nutshell. And the sad thing is the pitching hasn't been that bad this year...so far.

It will be the same story as last year if nothing changes. We'll win 90+games. Maybe make the playoffs and then lose when we can't hit 2-3 homers/game to win.

The playoffs are a long haul. You gotta be able to win those close games by manufacturing runs...and this team just doesn't know how to do that.

Comment

• Who's On First?

Originally posted by DoubleX
            I wanted to discuss the Carlos Pena signing rumors. I really have mixed feelings on it. On one hand, I really want to see Andy Phillips get a real shot. He's toiled in the Yankees farm system for years and he tore up AAA pitching the past few years. I think he deserves this, and I think Torre would be well-advised to start playing Phillips more and DHing Giambi. Phillips glove seems pretty good too (anyone see that play he made last week going into foul territory)?

On the other hand, Pena is actually younger than Phillips, we know Pena can hit homeruns at the ML level (he hit 18 last year, 27 in '04, and 18 the year before). He has a very good glove, and was about five years ago, arguably the top 1B prospect in the whole game (I say arguably, because Nick Johnson may have had that honor). So Pena may still have potential on his side.

Like I said, I'm torn. I think I'd like to see Phillips be given some real opportunities. What do you guys think?

I don't know too much about Pena but one of these young guys should get some serious playing time at first base. Giambi's booting the ball around is gonna cost us.

Give Giambi some days off and make him the DH for more games, and let's see if one of these guys can really play. This is how we got Cano, Wang, Small and Chacon. Give them a chance...we may stumble onto something. We have enough offense to experiment with the 8th spot.

Comment

• According to Lee Sinins' post here:
              9) The Yankees called up P Matt Smith and designated C Koyie Hill for assignment.

Smith retired the only batter he faced in his major league debut yesterday.
              Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
              THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
              Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by farmsystem
                I really don't like the Yankees offensive inconsistencies. It's feast or famine. They have to fiind a way to win the low scoring games as well. Actually finding ways to win low scoring games is a good indication of a successful playoff team, if the Yankees make the playoffs. Obviously pitching is the most important ingredient to success but scoring runs against good pitching or on less offensive days is also important. Tacking on runs with a force play or sac fly really helps. Hopefully their offense will be more consistent.

They have been working on doing the little things I think Damon is a big part of it. We have scored 10+ runs against the 2 former Cy Young winners we faced so we don`t collapse against good pitching rather the opposite. We underestimate pitchers without a reputation.

Originally posted by DoubleX
                I wanted to discuss the Carlos Pena signing rumors. I really have mixed feelings on it. On one hand, I really want to see Andy Phillips get a real shot. He's toiled in the Yankees farm system for years and he tore up AAA pitching the past few years. I think he deserves this, and I think Torre would be well-advised to start playing Phillips more and DHing Giambi. Phillips glove seems pretty good too (anyone see that play he made last week going into foul territory)?

We should just stick with Phillips, Eric Duncan could be ready as soon as next year. If we sign Pena we have to pick between Pena, Duncan, Giambi and Phillips next year. I would like to have him but it's just not a good idea with 4 1st baseman. We should be worrying about signing Clemens if he comes back or trading for Willis or Zito not adding a 4th 1st baseman no matter how much potential he has.
                2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

• Can we please release Jared Wright?

Bottom 2nd 4 hits, runners on 1st and 3rd and NO outs.

Sorry to say, but this guy makes me puke.

Comment

• Originally posted by yankees rule
                    Can we please release Jared Wright?

Well, he got a double play to minimize the damage. 3-0 now, however.
                    "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

• Originally posted by yankees rule
                      Can we please release Jared Wright?

Excuse me for yelling but... STURTZE COULD BE A BETTER STARTER HE JUST LET OF ANOTHER BASE HIT TO R.WHITE. For crying out loud get rid of him. He's worth less than a single A 40 year old. I guess you could include him in a trade with some team totally desperate for pitching but that's about it

Comment

• Originally posted by SoxSon
                        Well, he got a double play to minimize the damage. 3-0 now, however.
                        Yeah but it took a diving play from a gold glove caliber 3rd baseman to do it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
                          Yeah but it took a diving play from a gold glove caliber 3rd baseman to do it.
                          I couldn't actually see it...I'm watching online.

Looks like he is struggling mightily, though.
                          "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

What else would you expect? :grouchy :grouchy

Comment

I almost ounched my telivision I was so frustrated when he ran past a weak grounder with 2 outs that would have saved a run and ended the inning

Comment

• Well, NY got 2 back in the 5th. That's something, eh? I wish I could watch the game.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X