• Show
Clear All

My Prediction is this:

New York
    Boston
    Toronto
    Baltimore
    Tampa Bay

While Tampa has outstanding position players (Gomes, Gathright, Cantu, Crawford), as well as many developing (Upton, no range, Young, no patience-nice arm) their pitching is still terrible. Look at today's game-- they lost 9-6, only because of their pitching.
    Me, at a Boston restaurant, to a waiter:
    Are you sure the Manny Ramirez (name of burger) isn't a sloppy joe?

Comment

Originally posted by Yankees
      My Prediction is this:

New York
      Boston
      Toronto
      Baltimore
      Tampa Bay

While Tampa has outstanding position players (Gomes, Gathright, Cantu, Crawford), as well as many developing (Upton, no range, Young, no patience-nice arm) their pitching is still terrible. Look at today's game-- they lost 9-6, only because of their pitching.
      yet pitching wins in the lplayoffs while offense will get you their
      2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
        yet pitching wins in the lplayoffs while offense will get you their
        Well, it hasn't gotten Tampa to the playoffs the past 7 or so seasons...

Anyways, Damon is called looking in his first NY at bat...

Comment

And Rodriguez hit a grand slam...

By Baseball-Almanac, his 12th career, putting him in a tie for 9th all time (or 21st, depending on how you count):
          http://www.baseball-almanac.com/hitting/higs1.shtml
          Last edited by Yankees; 04-03-2006, 09:10 PM.

Comment

As nice as the Yanks romp is going tonight, I do have a couple areas of concern, and these are two things that concerned me early last season as well:

1) They are leaving a ton of runners on base and in scoring position (10 through the 7th inning). This game could easily be even more out of hand (Posada in particularly left quite a few runners)
            2) Johnson is not striking out guys with frequency, just like last year. He has three through 7 innings. The A's haven't come through, but just like the beginning of last year, I take the lack of strikeouts as a bad sign for Johnson. If it continues, like last year, I imagine he will give up a lot of homeruns again.

As for encouraging signs...Everyone is working the count and really making the pitchers labor. It's tough enough that pitchers have to go through all of these tough hitters, but that they also have to exhaust extra pitches; it's daunting. A's pitchers today had to throw an astronomical 214 pitches!

Damon seems to be settling in fine, so that's good too.

Of course, it's just one game, lots of season left, and a lot of things can happen.
            Last edited by DoubleX; 04-03-2006, 11:11 PM.

Comment

XX:

I wouldn't worry too much about Unit's K/9 rate. So long as he had a good outing, went 7, allowed only a solo HR to Big Hurt (one of the few opponents I'd actually be happy for), he did fine.

I consider this an extended spring training. So long as he's not getting lit up, I figure he wasn't awesome, but it could've been much worse.

He's 2 behind Seaver, in that this was his 14th Opening Day assignment. I think it's about a 5-way tie for 2nd place, from what I'd seen on YES.

I'll see what Randy does over the next 2-3 starts, then gauge. So long as he keeps us in the game, I figure everything else, be they whiffs, GIDPs, groundballs, flyouts or whatever, is all gravy.
              Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
              THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
              Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Well, it hasn't gotten Tampa to the playoffs the past 7 or so seasons...

Anyways, Damon is called looking in his first NY at bat...
                you do need a bullpen and fielding as well

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
                  XX:

I wouldn't worry too much about Unit's K/9 rate. So long as he had a good outing, went 7, allowed only a solo HR to Big Hurt (one of the few opponents I'd actually be happy for), he did fine.

I consider this an extended spring training. So long as he's not getting lit up, I figure he wasn't awesome, but it could've been much worse.

He's 2 behind Seaver, in that this was his 14th Opening Day assignment. I think it's about a 5-way tie for 2nd place, from what I'd seen on YES.

I'll see what Randy does over the next 2-3 starts, then gauge. So long as he keeps us in the game, I figure everything else, be they whiffs, GIDPs, groundballs, flyouts or whatever, is all gravy.
                  You people are so negative. Of course remember if the Yankees had lost on opening day last year who knows what would have happened

Comment

Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
                    You people are so negative. Of course remember if the Yankees had lost on opening day last year who knows what would have happened

I like the score, the guys proved they can hit, but 25 LOB = 25 LOB, no matter which way you slice, dice or mash it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=260403111

I saw a few ABs where guys were taking pitches, but ones they didn't have to swing at, like the 3-0 or the 3-1, they were swinging at. If a pitcher's behind on the 3-0, he's gotta throw three strikes in a row. What's the likelihood of that happening? There's a strong likelihood that you'll walk. He may throw something good to make it 3-1, but will often throw something for you to chase. That could've been ball 4.

214 pitches from the A's? Heck, keep guys on bases, let them wear out their arms further.

On the plus side, they've used 4 relievers, as Zito only lasted 1-1/3, was pulled after Rodriguez' 4-bagger. They may need to do some mixing and matching, especially if Moose goes deep into today's game. 7-2/3 innings isn't something you'd want your pen to do.

On the minus side, after 15 runs, our guys' arms must be pooped. I'm surprised that Torre didn't just clear everyone off the field after 6-7 innings. Let the bench and mop-up relievers finish the game. I predict a low-scoring game. Perhaps 3-2. If the score went to 5-3 or something, I'd be very surprised.
                    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
                      As nice as the Yanks romp is going tonight, I do have a couple areas of concern, and these are two things that concerned me early last season as well:

1) They are leaving a ton of runners on base and in scoring position (10 through the 7th inning). This game could easily be even more out of hand (Posada in particularly left quite a few runners)
                      2) Johnson is not striking out guys with frequency, just like last year. He has three through 7 innings. The A's haven't come through, but just like the beginning of last year, I take the lack of strikeouts as a bad sign for Johnson. If it continues, like last year, I imagine he will give up a lot of homeruns again.

As for encouraging signs...Everyone is working the count and really making the pitchers labor. It's tough enough that pitchers have to go through all of these tough hitters, but that they also have to exhaust extra pitches; it's daunting. A's pitchers today had to throw an astronomical 214 pitches!

Damon seems to be settling in fine, so that's good too.

Of course, it's just one game, lots of season left, and a lot of things can happen.
                      1) It is a lot, but more runs=more people on base=more people left on base. Unless you want a HR to cap off each inning, you will get many people left on.

2) Last year he said that he was working on throwing more ground balls, though he said that it was because he was not as dominating... Could be bad, could work out well.

One negative sign I saw was Cano still has little patience--he swung (and bunted) at his first pitch in each of his first three plate appearances, although he settles in a bit (3, 4, 6 pitches in last three PAs)

Comment

1) It is a lot, but more runs=more people on base=more people left on base. Unless you want a HR to cap off each inning, you will get many people left on.

2) Last year he said that he was working on throwing more ground balls, though he said that it was because he was not as dominating... Could be bad, could work out well.

One negative sign I saw was Cano still has little patience--he swung (and bunted) at his first pitch in each of his first three plate appearances, although he settles in a bit (3, 4, 6 pitches in last three PAs)
                        I'm sometimes happy that we even *HAD* guys on base to begin with. There have been games where I'd *SCREAM* because nobody got on base.

Patience at the plate = walks and avoiding balls in the dirt. Now executing a few more would've been fine. Still, 15 runs isn't much to beef about.

I'd have preferred an 8-2 or 6-2 game with far fewer guys left on. Still, it was a hit parade yesterday. Not a bad way to start the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
                          I'm sometimes happy that we even *HAD* guys on base to begin with. There have been games where I'd *SCREAM* because nobody got on base.

Patience at the plate = walks and avoiding balls in the dirt. Now executing a few more would've been fine. Still, 15 runs isn't much to beef about.

I'd have preferred an 8-2 or 6-2 game with far fewer guys left on. Still, it was a hit parade yesterday. Not a bad way to start the season.
                          couldn`t have put it better myself

Comment

It's early, but I think that just like last year, we might have a concern about the Yankees leaving too many runners on base. 15 were left yesterday, and today in the 1st inning the Yankees had runners on 2nd and 3rd with no out and couldn't manage a run. Neither Sheffield, Rodriguez, or Giambi could even put the ball in play and give Damon and Jeter a chance to score.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
                              It's early, but I think that just like last year, we might have a concern about the Yankees leaving too many runners on base. 15 were left yesterday, and today in the 1st inning the Yankees had runners on 2nd and 3rd with no out and couldn't manage a run. Neither Sheffield, Rodriguez, or Giambi could even put the ball in play and give Damon and Jeter a chance to score.
                              Two minutes later...Sheffield makes Harden pay for giving up the 2-out walk to Jeter. 1-0.

Comment

At any rate, very impressive outing by Mussina--1 ER over four innings, on 57 pitches (and a 5 pitch 4th to boot).

Other things:
                                Cano still swinging freely (4 of 5 pitches)
                                Nice job walking by Jeter (2) and Damon (1)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X