The Season: 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SD Bomber Fan
    First off, Cairo performed for the Yankees, in New York. You give a lot of credibility to what other players (no names mentioned) did while playing with other teams - to the point of forgiving mediocre performance with the Yankees. I, personally, could give a rat's a** what people did with their former teams, in some second-rate city. What means something to me is what a person does with the Yankees. Cairo performed with the Yankees, so I don't care if he had bad seasons with other teams. He managed to play well in New York. He flourished playing second fiddle in an all-star lineup. Other, better known players, have crumbled in the NY (and Yankee) environment.

Comparing Andy Phillips to Eric Duncan or Philip Hughes is assinine. They are young, touted prospects, that other teams have tried to obtain in trades. Andy Phillips is a career AAA player. I haven't seen any teams falling all over themselves in an attempt to get him, like they did this off season with Duncan and Hughes. As I said earlier, there's a reason why he hasn't gotten many chances. If he was a true prospect who was just wasting away in the Yankee farm system, I guarantee that he would have been given a shot by some other team. Personally, I look forward to seeing Duncan and Hughes in Yankee Stadium, as long as they aren't rushed into the majors.

As for tonights game...

It's hard to pin this one on the pitching. How could the Yanks be given so many chances and fail to score more than two runs against a team like the Devil Rays? The Yankees couldn't buy a hit with RISP. It's really all or nothing with this lineup.

Is anyone else starting to worry about Mo?
    Cairo didn't do so well playing in New York last year. He regressed back to around his career mediocre levels. And you're right, Andy Phillips is not Eric Duncan, but he's still likely a better hitter than Cairo and until he's given a shot, it's assanine to say otherwise given Cairo's long track-record of mediocrity. 2004 was a career year for him, and it came in part-time duty no less.

As for tonight, it sucked. This futility with RISP has been going on for a couple of years now. There is no reason for that with this kind of offense, in which the no. 9 hitter who's batting .360.

I am starting to worry about Mo also. But he struggled last year out of the gates as well and he hasn't exactly been receiving regular work this year since the Yankees are either blowing teams out or losing most night. Haven't been many save opportunities.

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleX
      Cairo didn't do so well playing in New York last year. He regressed back to around his career mediocre levels. And you're right, Andy Phillips is not Eric Duncan, but he's still likely a better hitter than Cairo and until he's given a shot, it's assanine to say otherwise given Cairo's long track-record of mediocrity. 2004 was a career year for him, and it came in part-time duty no less.
      Last year, Cairo played with the Mets. Once again, apples and oranges. Also, he was truly playing part-time last year. In 2004, he started the season platooning with Enrique Wilson. While I don't recall exactly when in the season it happened, he eventually earned the starting job, and was a full time player for the second half of the season, which may have contributed to his success.

On that note, when did it become necessary to give everyone on the bench playing time? While I would like to see Cairo get more time, I would also like to see a stable lineup. Are the Yankees so confident that they can beat the Devil Rays that they put Bubba Crosby in for no apparent reason? Is this random appearance really going to pay dividends at some later date? I could understand it if someone needed a rest, but this is still April, and the Yanks have had more off days this month than I've had all year. This lineup is starting to look like the first half of a UConn basketball game: too many changes, not enough stability.

Comment

• So our #3 pitcher, who'd been questioned about his consistency recently by yours truly and others, goes 7, gives up 2, yet gets an ND because future Cooperstown inductee "Cy Nobody" McClung stops the Mighty Yankees. :o

Perhaps we should trade in those 7-run games for a 4-5 run game, and swap a few of them onto Wang's games.

Like when Moose came aboard, the bats didn't heat up for him, so he had to win games practically all by himself. Now it's Wang's turn.

Boomer, Rocket, Pettitte all got healthy shares of runs. This thing about the new Yankee pitcher getting nothing has to end.

Hopefully, we win Thursday's rubber match, and the team realizes that a game needs to be won, so they'll ignore whoever's on the mound and just score some runs. This inconsistency is driving me bonkers.

As to Mo, I've said it before and I'll say it again: give him *ONE* inning and *ONE* inning only. He's not superman. He's getting older, he's survived longer than most closers have. Whose is else still on top of his game 10 years after he was a setup man? We need a setup man to go 2 innings, not Mariano. Seems nasty, but we could just as easily have Tanyon Sturtze give up 2 runs. People would call for Torre's head, but if the end result is the same--and becoming very predictable, unfrotunately, then 2 opposing runs scored = two opposing runs scored, regardless of how you slice or dice it.
        Last edited by Mattingly; 04-27-2006, 12:21 AM.
        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

First off, Cairo performed for the Yankees, in New York. You give a lot of credibility to what other players (no names mentioned) did while playing with other teams - to the point of forgiving mediocre performance with the Yankees. I, personally, could give a rat's a** what people did with their former teams, in some second-rate city. What means something to me is what a person does with the Yankees. Cairo performed with the Yankees, so I don't care if he had bad seasons with other teams. He managed to play well in New York. He flourished playing second fiddle in an all-star lineup. Other, better known players, have crumbled in the NY (and Yankee) environment.

Comparing Andy Phillips to Eric Duncan or Philip Hughes is assinine. They are young, touted prospects, that other teams have tried to obtain in trades. Andy Phillips is a career AAA player. I haven't seen any teams falling all over themselves in an attempt to get him, like they did this off season with Duncan and Hughes. As I said earlier, there's a reason why he hasn't gotten many chances. If he was a true prospect who was just wasting away in the Yankee farm system, I guarantee that he would have been given a shot by some other team. Personally, I look forward to seeing Duncan and Hughes in Yankee Stadium, as long as they aren't rushed into the majors.

Now this sounds ridiculous but by your philosophy is that when we signed Damon he should have been given a contract smaller than Cairo had because he did not have great numbers as a Yankee?

I`m finally forced to admit that we do have an enormous weakness with RISP. When we do get on base it always seems to be a walk with runners on 2nd and 3rd and then one of our sluggers ground into a double play. OBP can be decieving in situations like this. That just shows how many opportunities you get. If you don`t capitalize it's useless. I hope we start capitalizing soon.

Rivera is rusty he has had very little work this year he had about 9 innings of work in ST. Our average margin of victory is 6.5 runs so Rivera has very little work. Rivera has 7.1 innings of work in the regular season hopefully these blowouts will stop.
          Last edited by Mariano_Rivera; 04-27-2006, 04:22 AM.
          2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

• Many postings made last year at this time could be re-posted now and look new, save for a name change here or there. The issues and problems are the same. The Yanks didn't just fail to hit their way to a win, they ran themselves into a loss on the basepaths. Two runners caught in rundowns on the same play? With no one out? How bad is that? Damon laid down a perfect bunt, but who else did? Jeter's weak attempt had even him smiling. This team, like the last one, can win a blowout -- or maybe a game that's "close" by a score of 10-9 -- but it's lost when forced to push runners around the bags the old-fashioned way. The lead runner was on virtually every inning, but not one run scored on a single, double or sac fly, just Sheff's homerun. With the wind blowing, a homer was going to be very difficult, but there they were, swinging from the heels at every chance. Mo is going to give up runs now and then, but it doesn't matter or get much notice when he has a cushion. When he's trying to keep the team in the game, not shut the door, it's all different. I love the Yanks, but the way they are playing right now, I fear this team will score 1,000+ runs and end up losing, again, in the playoffs. h

Comment

• To tell you the truth I don`t mind losing the game half as much as I mind how we lost it. Going into the game I was thinking that we need a good outing by Wang and we don`t really NEED this game. With all the chances we had I find it amazing that we lost. Do you realize that the first 5 innings our leadoff hitter walked EVERY single time and we only had 2 runs to show for it? I was very frustrated by that baserunning blunder with Cano and Crosby on 2nd and 3rd by the way.

Comment

On that note, when did it become necessary to give everyone on the bench playing time? While I would like to see Cairo get more time, I would also like to see a stable lineup. Are the Yankees so confident that they can beat the Devil Rays that they put Bubba Crosby in for no apparent reason? Is this random appearance really going to pay dividends at some later date? I could understand it if someone needed a rest, but this is still April, and the Yanks have had more off days this month than I've had all year. This lineup is starting to look like the first half of a UConn basketball game: too many changes, not enough stability.
                You say Cairo was a true part-time player last year, but he only had 33 less ABs last year with the Mets then he did in '04 with the Yankees.

Crosby was in to give Damon a spell in CF. No team has every player playing 162 games. Players need a rest every now and then, and that's one of the reason teams have bench players. I don't expect to see Crosby as a regular in the starting lineup at all.

But the Yankees lineup is not very well constructed right now. I think A-Rod has to be bumped up to 3 or 5, and Giambi 4 with the way he's swinging the bat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
                  To tell you the truth I don`t mind losing the game half as much as I mind how we lost it. Going into the game I was thinking that we need a good outing by Wang and we don`t really NEED this game. With all the chances we had I find it amazing that we lost. Do you realize that the first 5 innings our leadoff hitter walked EVERY single time and we only had 2 runs to show for it? I was very frustrated by that baserunning blunder with Cano and Crosby on 2nd and 3rd by the way.
                  Actually, it was 4 innings of straight leadoff walks, but over 8 innings, 6 leadoff walks and 2 singles. Eight innings of the leadoff batter on 1B and only a 2-run jack to show for it.

When these guys get brainlocks, they do so badly. It's like throwing a lamb chop to a wolf, but he stumbles all over the grass trying to get to it. Yet it's *RIGHT THERE*. I think that we need the "get that leadoff hitter home" thing. If not, then the "shark smelling blood in the water" thing would've been lost. If not that, then we've lost the killer instinct.

Wednesday's game had all the makings of a blowout, one in which Mariano shouldn't have needed to pitch, much less losing--*AGAIN*--in his 2nd inning of work. When you give a team that much chances but they can't do anything with it, you may as well put a zebra in front of a lion but it doesn't bite. The "attack mode" of the Yanks seems to be lost on them.

Do we need to get smacked around in Boston before things get turned around? Or shall we just hang our heads and accept defeat? This lethargic type of playing *CANNOT* continue. We don't need 15 runs today, but when opportunity is given to us, it's like when someone gives you an open shot in billiards. You run the balls, pocketing every one if you're given a good "look" at one of them. The Yanks just messed up big. That sloppy habit has *GOT* to go.
                  Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleX
                    You say Cairo was a true part-time player last year, but he only had 33 less ABs last year with the Mets then he did in '04 with the Yankees.

Crosby was in to give Damon a spell in CF. No team has every player playing 162 games. Players need a rest every now and then, and that's one of the reason teams have bench players. I don't expect to see Crosby as a regular in the starting lineup at all.

But the Yankees lineup is not very well constructed right now. I think A-Rod has to be bumped up to 3 or 5, and Giambi 4 with the way he's swinging the bat.
                    Two things....1st: Miguel Tejada plays 162 games & does Hideki Matsui!

As for Giambi, yes the way he's swinging the bat he should be slid into the 4 hole with Sheff behind him since Giambi has such a high OBP and Sheff is finally himself. Sheff lately has looked like he's swinging a club! Welcome to '06 Sheff!
                    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyStarks
                      As for Giambi, yes the way he's swinging the bat he should be slid into the 4 hole with Sheff behind him since Giambi has such a high OBP and Sheff is finally himself. Sheff lately has looked like he's swinging a club! Welcome to '06 Sheff!
                      I'd actually consider putting Giambi into the 3-hole, but he's a slow runner. Otherwise, his high OBP is certainly in his favor. Perhaps Torre should just do this simply to see how well things turn out. A man on base is always faster than one in the dugout after a whiff is my philosophy on that.

Rodriguez is obviously faster than Sheff, but Sheff can get a few steals every now and then. So basically flipping Sheff and Giambi in the lineups may work. If Alex can get us some big hits, we'll be in business.

As to the outs by Cano and Crosby, I'm wondering why on an infield ball to the left side of the INF, guys on 2B/3B would even run. Anyone in LL knows to get back on base.

Reminds me of the time that a guy hit a sac fly to mid-CF w/2B/3B runners. Neither runner tagged up, as both thought it would've been a hit. At least the guy at 3B should've tagged, since he could've scored easily on a caught ball. The Yanks ran themselves out of that inning also.

These baserunning gaffes are borne out of lack of instinct as to where to go on certain plays. The sticking to basics seem to be lacking on this team. All this "feast or famine" doesn't make me want to eat much. Some days it's a 15-run buffet with everything you've always wanted to eat, everyone except the defensive replacements getting a hit. Others, it's barely a pebble of food, can't score a run to save one's life.

This cannot continue.

Comment

• Originally posted by sandlot
                        Many postings made last year at this time could be re-posted now and look new, save for a name change here or there. The issues and problems are the same. The Yanks didn't just fail to hit their way to a win, they ran themselves into a loss on the basepaths. Two runners caught in rundowns on the same play? With no one out? How bad is that? Damon laid down a perfect bunt, but who else did? Jeter's weak attempt had even him smiling. This team, like the last one, can win a blowout -- or maybe a game that's "close" by a score of 10-9 -- but it's lost when forced to push runners around the bags the old-fashioned way. The lead runner was on virtually every inning, but not one run scored on a single, double or sac fly, just Sheff's homerun. With the wind blowing, a homer was going to be very difficult, but there they were, swinging from the heels at every chance. Mo is going to give up runs now and then, but it doesn't matter or get much notice when he has a cushion. When he's trying to keep the team in the game, not shut the door, it's all different. I love the Yanks, but the way they are playing right now, I fear this team will score 1,000+ runs and end up losing, again, in the playoffs. h
                        Actually Crosby also had a great bunt. Their is a huge difference between this year and last year. We have a lot less injuries this year and the Bullpen is great and the SP is fantastic. Not to mention the fact that we have great SP now. It is totally different team Torre has been calling a lot more SB's and bunts. I think this is a sign that we will start winning close games soon, I hope.

Comment

• GODZILLA

THE EMPORER OF THE CLUTCH DOES IT AGAIN. A two run go ahead single in the 3rd. Awesome and now Matsui makes a great play to hold Toby Hall to a long single. Score is now 3-1 I didn`t mind the RBI by Giambi either.

Comment

• Yankees need a real First baseman

Since the Yankees don't need a big bat for firstbase, Carlos Pena, who is working out in AAA for the Yanks, may soon be using his excellent glove for the Yanks. The Yanks can certaining carry the cold and hot (mostly cold) bat of Carlos. Defense is needed. Yankee pitcher would appreciate the move. And who knows, perhaps Carlos will park a few balls into right field-he does have 20-25 HR power.

Comment

• 6.1 innings from our #4 starter, 1 ER. I don't care who it's against, we just lost to those same guys, and one of their guys, CFer Joe Gathright, stole a HR from Sheffield, a screaming/scorching line drive that had just cleared the LCF alley fence.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/[email protected]

This time, we at least took advantage of the walks and Mo was himself again, when brought in to pitch *ONE* inning, rather than this 2-inning thing from years ago.

We need more games like this, especially when we can win low-scoring games. I think that's great preparation for the playoffs, where it's more of a chess game than a slugfest, in that runs have to be manufactured, rather than just slapping the ball silly.

Simple Yankee Trivia:

I am under the radar, even though I generally am not. I have an astronomical batting average that can't possibly be kept up this season. In fact, it's over .400 right now.

Who am I?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                                6.1 innings from our #4 starter, 1 ER. I don't care who it's against, we just lost to those same guys, and one of their guys, CFer Joe Gathright, stole a HR from Sheffield, a screaming/scorching line drive that had just cleared the LCF alley fence.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/[email protected]

This time, we at least took advantage of the walks and Mo was himself again, when brought in to pitch *ONE* inning, rather than this 2-inning thing from years ago.

We need more games like this, especially when we can win low-scoring games. I think that's great preparation for the playoffs, where it's more of a chess game than a slugfest, in that runs have to be manufactured, rather than just slapping the ball silly.

Simple Yankee Trivia:

I am under the radar, even though I generally am not. I have an astronomical batting average that can't possibly be kept up this season. In fact, it's over .400 right now.

Who am I?
                                Jeter though for me he isn`t excactly "under the radar" I hear about him every morning he does something because he is my brothers favorite player. Who pitched the 8th? I only saw up to Myers. He looked a little shaky but I guess he can`t be perfect.

I agree now that is 4, 1-2 run performances over at least 6 innings for our starters but I`m afraid the streak will be broken with Jaret Wright against Roy Halladay. Oh well maybe Torre will come to his senses and have him and Proctor switch roles.

I also saw a few SB by Damon and I think a hit and run with Jeter on first

Also Carlos Pena would be a great addition but I`d prefer to get A.Phillips in their somewhere I`d most like a lefty righy plattoon between Phillips and Pena
                                Last edited by Mariano_Rivera; 04-28-2006, 04:26 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X