The Season: 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yankees
    At any rate, very impressive outing by Mussina--1 ER over four innings, on 57 pitches (and a 5 pitch 4th to boot).

Other things:
    Cano still swinging freely (4 of 5 pitches)
    Nice job walking by Jeter (2) and Damon (1)
    I think they made a scoring change and it's 2 ER by Mussina now as they wiped out the error. He still looks good nonetheless. And just like yesterday, the Yanks are making the opposing pitcher work (over 100 pitches for Harden through 6 already).

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
      I think they made a scoring change and it's 2 ER by Mussina now as they wiped out the error. He still looks good nonetheless. And just like yesterday, the Yanks are making the opposing pitcher work (over 100 pitches for Harden through 6 already).
      Yes, you are right. Did anyone see the play (listening online here)?

Cano still hacking (3 pitch K)
      Mussina still solid (3 ER, 6 innings, 92 pitches)
      Me, at a Boston restaurant, to a waiter:
      Are you sure the Manny Ramirez (name of burger) isn't a sloppy joe?

Comment

Yes, you are right. Did anyone see the play (listening online here)?

Cano still hacking (3 pitch K)
        Mussina still solid (3 ER, 6 innings, 92 pitches)
        I didn't see the play. Because of stupid blackout restrictions and the fact that the cable system I'm forced to have does not have YES, I'm relegated to following the Gameday cast (I could listen, but I'm trying to study also).

A bad sign again today is the fact that like yesterday, the Yanks have left a lot of ducks on the pond. 9 runners have been left on base so far to go with the 15 from yesterday. This was a problem throughout last year as well. I almost feel like the team is being too patient. If you look at the pithcers counts from the past two days, the A's pitchers have thrown a tremendous amount. They totaled 214 yesterday and are up to 158 through 8 today. With the exception of Cano, I don't think the Yanks are being aggressive enough.

Comment

Some how...I just envisioned this game ending with Proctor.

*sigh*
          "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

I don't really understand the reasoning in bringing in Proctor for the bottom of the 9th. The A's used Street for the top of the 9th. Why put the ball in Proctor's hand with the game on the line? He ended up walking the leadoff batter on four pitches, and then, following a bunt and an intentional walk, gave up the walk-off single.

Once again, the Yanks left too many runners on base (Sheffield - 4, A-Rod - 5, Giambi and Cano - 3 each). In a 13 run blowout, it's an interesting sidenote. In a 1 run loss, it's painful.

Did anyone see the play (listening online here)?
            I'm assuming that you're talking about the Cano error that was reversed. It looked like an error to me. He was moving to his left and overreached. The ball kicked off the heal of his glove. When he went to retrieve it, he slipped on the outfield grass. It looked like a fairly routine play to me. In fact, the next hit (the one that went by Giambi) probably would have been turned in to a double-play by an average fielding first baseman. He barely had to move, and it went right over his glove. Of course, because Giambi is so slow to react, it looked like a clean hit.
            Last edited by SD Bomber Fan; 04-04-2006, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Boo! The dream of an undefeated season dies yet again.

This was not a good performance by the Yankees as the team seems to be falling into the same traps as last year, and that's not a good way to play ball.

1) The team just seems to be waiting for those big-innings and long-balls just like last year, and just like last year, they'll have games where they explode (like yesterday) and they'll have games where they just leave men on base (like today).

2) In two games, the team has left 25 runners on base!!!!!!! This was a very very aggravating problem last year.

3) There is no aggressiveness in the managing, just like the last few years. During the run in the late 90's, Torre was a much more aggressive manager, as the team was infused with small ball play. I understand the parts now aren't as conducive to that style, but you gotta have more hits and runs, you gotta give Damon and Jeter the green light to run.

4) Questionable bullpen decisions. I like Proctor and part of me is glad that Torre showed faith in him tonight. But look, it's the 9th inning and the game is on the line. Oakland recognized this and put Huston Street out there. Torre should have had Rivera out there. Plus, even though Proctor had a tremendous spring, he's been going through a rough personal time in the past week (his infant daughter has been very, very ill, and he almost didn't make the trip to Oaklans), so his mind is undoubtedly distracted to some degree. Given the circumstances, I don't think Proctor was the best choice. Rivera should have been out there.

This game gets a very loud BOO all around (though Mussina looked pretty good, as did Farnsworth).

Comment

Although it's only the 2nd game I absolutely do not understand why Torre would bring Proctor in. Why?

Mind you I like Proctor, but I just cannot and do not trust him.
                He's purely someone whom you bring in to mop up or if you need a strikeout and you bring him in for that ONE batter. Proctor is so inconsistent, it kills me. Am I mistaken but didn't he walk his first batter in 4? UGGHHH, my God that is so frustrating!
                "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
                  3) There is no aggressiveness in the managing, just like the last few years. During the run in the late 90's, Torre was a much more aggressive manager, as the team was infused with small ball play. I understand the parts now aren't as conducive to that style, but you gotta have more hits and runs, you gotta give Damon and Jeter the green light to run.
                  While I don't necessarily object to small ball, I think that it has it's time and place, and should be used carefully considering the Yank's lineup. I think that the A's made a good decision to bunt in the 9th inning after getting the leadoff walk. However, I question the decision to have Jeter bunt in the top of the 7th, following Damon's leadoff single. Why take the bat out of Jeter's hands?

Comment

i like proctor but bringing in him in this situation was just stupid. i am also glad torre showed faith in him but maybe not this early. this was a real dissappointing loss because there were so many LOB.
                    Cheering the Yanks from various parts of Asia

Comment

Or why not leave Kyle in?

He did get 2 outs in the previous inning.
                      He only faced 2 batters and threw 10 pitches.

Very disappointing loss.

On Side note:
                      It was nice to see Moose go 7 and he did have a nice outting overall.

Comment

Is it rocket science to hit a ball to 2B or 1B when you've got a man on 2B? Why couldn't Jeter or A-Rod do this with Damon on 2B?

Then there's Torre's absolute refusal to put Mo into a tied game. Ever heard of extra innings, Joe?

This business of giving up drove me up the wall all last season. Let's hope that someone has the decency to tell Joe that Mo should come into the 9th, even if a tied game.

Moose did fine. 7 innings, 3 ERs, including a pair of solo jacks isn't bad. Now if only we could've scored a run somehow, Mo would've definitely have been used in the 9th.

I do hope that this isn't the script we'll be seeing all season long.
                        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
                          Is it rocket science to hit a ball to 2B or 1B when you've got a man on 2B? Why couldn't Jeter or A-Rod do this with Damon on 2B?

Then there's Torre's absolute refusal to put Mo into a tied game. Ever heard of extra innings, Joe?

This business of giving up drove me up the wall all last season. Let's hope that someone has the decency to tell Joe that Mo should come into the 9th, even if a tied game.

I do hope that this isn't the script we'll be seeing all season long.
                          I agree on the "Lets just try and see" approach.
                          I still think Kyle should have been stretched another inning.

My God...I can't wait for Dotel & Small to get back.

The worst thing about tonight was that as soon as I heard Kay say that Scott was coming into the game....I just knew it was over.
                          It was only a matter of time.

Proctor's achilles heel his whole career, the man just cannot throw strikes consistently. My God does that infuriate me. Now, I know exactly how Sweet Lou feels.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyStarks
                            I agree on the "Lets just try and see" approach.
                            I still think Kyle should have been stretched another inning.

My God...I can't wait for Dotel & Small to get back.

The worst thing about tonight was that as soon as I heard Kay say that Scott was coming into the game....I just knew it was over.
                            It was only a matter of time.

Proctor's achilles heel his whole career, the man just cannot throw strikes consistently. My God does that infuriate me. Now, I know exactly how Sweet Lou feels.
                            What "let's just try and see" approach are you referring to?

It was mentioned upthread that the A's used Hudson Street, their closer with 23 saves last season. Why couldn't Mariano be used? Quite a few times last season, I saw Mo not used in tie games. How do we win games if we don't use a bit of ingenuity?

Too many guys waiting for the big hit, too many hits to SS/3B with a 2B runner. I think that the art of manufacturing runs is some big mystery.

Use big ball when you can, but if nothing's working, use small ball. Jeter had gotten Damon over once with a bunt, for which he was praised in the dugout. Then with Damon having hit a double, he grounds to the SS.

A-Rod didn't do much better. At least a groundout to 1B/2B would've brought Damon to 3B.

We need some timely hitting. Enough of last season's "feast or famine" thing. I'd much rather have consistent hitting.
                            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

I missed it because of the time and after readng this I have a few comments
                              1. Rivera was not put in becuase of the magnitude of the game or rather lack of. It`s the day after opening day.
                              2. They now have 3 people with decent speed and should steal far more often. They are Damon, Jeter and Rodriguez. All have a great on base percentage so Torre doesn`t have the same excuse as he did with Womack last year. Each one should have at least 20 stolen baeses. Jeter had 14 and A-rod had 21. Cano should also run more and Damon was on the Bosox then. Each one shouuld have at least 20 SB this year.
                              3. Calm down it's still early
                              2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

1-for-15 w/RISP. *ONE FOR FIFTEEN*. In the 1st, we had Damon on 3B, Jeter on 2B, not outs. That's *TWO RUNNERS IN SCORING POSITION* and the heart of the lineup on deck.

Sheffield, A-Rod and Giambi whiffed in succession. Even a groundout to 1B/2B would've scored Damon.

Rubber match time

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X