The Season: 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
    1. Rivera was not put in becuase of the magnitude of the game or rather lack of. It`s the day after opening day.
    A win is a win, no matter who it's against, or what time of the season it is. What was Torre saving him for? Tonight's game can be another blowout. Use Mo when you need to use him. I would rather see him pitch in the 9th inning of a tie game, then see him pitch in a game the Yanks are winning by 4 runs, just because he hasn't pitched in the last 5 days. Also, a quick look at the schedule indicates that the Yanks have tomorrow off, and 5 days off in April. Once again, what is Torre saving him for?

Comment

I got curious about the whole "closer in the 9th, tied game" thing, so I've posted this thread under Current Events about it.
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
        What "let's just try and see" approach are you referring to?

That's what I call it when Torre brings in Sturze, Embree or Proctor when he should go to a better option.
        "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

Originally posted by TonyStarks
          That's what I call it when Torre brings in Sturze, Embree or Proctor when he should go to a better option.
          Oh, gotcha. After re-reading, I was about to come to the same conclusion.

I know it'll be another stupid thing like last season, where we're mercilessly trying to win every single game at the end of the season, despite having lost 1-run games becuase of stupid things like this.

Let Proctor, Sturtze et al earn their way into games by putting them into 3-run leads. I'm fine with Proctor there in the 7th or 8th. If Farnsworth or even Mo loses one for us, I can't blame Torre. At least give us the best chance to win. You can't expect to win 100 games, as opposed to 90+, unless you win those 1-run games. The White Sox won lots of those 1-run games last season, as did the Cards the year before.

I don't see Proctor as being an option unless it's a large lead or it's early in the game. If a pitcher can't finish the 7th inning, we have a few runs lead, I'm fine. At least let's try winning it if we can. Last night's game to me was very winnable, but wasn't managed accordingly, to me.
          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

Oh, gotcha. After re-reading, I was about to come to the same conclusion.

Let Proctor, Sturtze et al earn their way into games by putting them into 3-run leads. I'm fine with Proctor there in the 7th or 8th. If Farnsworth or even Mo loses one for us, I can't blame Torre. At least give us the best chance to win. You can't expect to win 100 games, as opposed to 90+, unless you win those 1-run games. The White Sox won lots of those 1-run games last season, as did the Cards the year before.

I don't see Proctor as being an option unless it's a large lead or it's early in the game. If a pitcher can't finish the 7th inning, we have a few runs lead, I'm fine. At least let's try winning it if we can. Last night's game to me was very winnable, but wasn't managed accordingly, to me.
            I agree. I feel like Torre is sort of conceding by bringing in Proctor. Like I said, I like the guy but I feel like right now he's a mop man and he cannot be trust with a tie game, unless theres no one else, or even a 1-2 run lead. His control is too irradic.
            "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

Well, all I can say is that it's a good thing that Torre saved Mo last night. Now he won't have to pitch until Friday!

After watching this series, I'm more than a little concerned about our defense. Jeter made a key error - probably nothing to worry about since it probably won't happen that often, but it opened the door for a big inning. Of greater concern was Cano's error in the 9th. I'm guessing that we'll see more of those. In addition to the errors, there are the plays that go down as hits, but could just have easily been outs if the D was a little tighter. In game 2, Giambi let a hot shot go by him that Tino probably would have turned into a 3-6-3 DP. It went down as a single. The game winning hit went over Matsui's head. Granted, the outfield had been brought in to stop the runner from scoring from 2nd on a single. However, a left fielder who was a little bit faster, or took a better angle to the ball, or got a quicker jump would have made the catch. It wouldn't have been easy, but it certainly wouldn't have been a great catch either. I'm concerned about the number of runs that the Yanks will give up this year because the right side of the infield and the entire outfield are unable to make outs on any plays above a routine difficulty level.
              Last edited by SD Bomber Fan; 04-05-2006, 11:37 PM.

Comment

oh well on the bright side Mussina, Johnson and Wang all look great and Farnsworth did well when he pitched to. I was hoping Cano's Defense would tighten up this year but it looks like I`m wrong.
                2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

Is Miguel Cairo better defensively than Robinson Cano? Last season, Torre used Mark Bellhorn as a defensive replacement in the later innings.

I'm not sure if it's attention deficit disorder, something that I hear Derek Lowe is being treated for, but it's these 8th- and 9th-inning blips which kill me. I think it was last season, playing at Fenway, he had a tailor-made 4-6-3 to end the game, but he threw the ball away. I forgot if it was 1 out or none, but what happened next was either Manny or Damon hit into a 5-2-3 DP (3B/C/1B). That was a very quick bang-bang play, with a force at home, as the bases were loaded. We won that game by the skin of our teeth.

I think that 7 innings should be enough for Cano. At least once every 2-3 games, he should have someone spell him at 2B.

I don't care how it's done, but from 4-4 to 9-4, that's pretty bad. If Torre needs to hold a meeting, let him hold one. Guys absolutely cannot play so lackadaisical like Wednesday night.

Comment

Is Miguel Cairo better defensively than Robinson Cano? Last season, Torre used Mark Bellhorn as a defensive replacement in the later innings.

I'm not sure if it's attention deficit disorder, something that I hear Derek Lowe is being treated for, but it's these 8th- and 9th-inning blips which kill me. I think it was last season, playing at Fenway, he had a tailor-made 4-6-3 to end the game, but he threw the ball away. I forgot if it was 1 out or none, but what happened next was either Manny or Damon hit into a 5-2-3 DP (3B/C/1B). That was a very quick bang-bang play, with a force at home, as the bases were loaded. We won that game by the skin of our teeth.

I think that 7 innings should be enough for Cano. At least once every 2-3 games, he should have someone spell him at 2B.

I don't care how it's done, but from 4-4 to 9-4, that's pretty bad. If Torre needs to hold a meeting, let him hold one. Guys absolutely cannot play so lackadaisical like Wednesday night.
                    Cairo is probably better defensively. The thing about Cano is most people think that he has the tools to become a very good defensive 2Bman, he just has lapses of attention. He really needs to mature more, remember he's still only 23.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
                      Cairo is probably better defensively. The thing about Cano is most people think that he has the tools to become a very good defensive 2Bman, he just has lapses of attention. He really needs to mature more, remember he's still only 23.
                      In that case, I think that every few games (every 1/3), Cairo should be used as a defensive replacement. There's only so many of those "How could you *DO THIS TO US*" things I can say in one season, much less one week.

I saw many fans at Fenway clapping when they'd seen that game-ending, tailor-made 4-6-3 thrown into shallow CF by Cano. He could be 19 for all I care. He needs someone to come into the 8th inning for him every now and then. Let him deal with it, or deal with failure. His choice.

Comment

In that case, I think that every few games (every 1/3), Cairo should be used as a defensive replacement. There's only so many of those "How could you *DO THIS TO US*" things I can say in one season, much less one week.

I saw many fans at Fenway clapping when they'd seen that game-ending, tailor-made 4-6-3 thrown into shallow CF by Cano. He could be 19 for all I care. He needs someone to come into the 8th inning for him every now and then. Let him deal with it, or deal with failure. His choice.
                        We need to help cano learn to play better defense. One day years from now cano will be the starting 2nd baesman and we won`t have Cairo to help him he needs to learn NOW. Oh and Mattingly how dare an Oakland fan use the username "Mattingly" it's a disgrace.

Comment

Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
                          We need to help cano learn to play better defense. One day years from now cano will be the starting 2nd baesman and we won`t have Cairo to help him he needs to learn NOW. Oh and Mattingly how dare an Oakland fan use the username "Mattingly" it's a disgrace.
                          Cano is the starting 2Bman. Cairo's the backup.

Comment

Off topic, but did you lose a sig bet, Mattingly?
                            Me, at a Boston restaurant, to a waiter:
                            Are you sure the Manny Ramirez (name of burger) isn't a sloppy joe?

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
                              Cano is the starting 2Bman. Cairo's the backup.
                              I mean to help him in the 8th and 9th inning

Comment

I hope Yankees will beat the Angels.
                                Lets go YANKEES

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X