The Season: 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
    A 6 inning, 2 hit, shutout is not easy. The Big Unit is back.
    You're right, a 6 inning, 2 hit shutout is not easy at all. But I wouldn't go nearly so far to say that the Big Unit is back until he can get a string of good starts together. Right now, today is the aberration in an extended pattern of mediocrity.

Comment

• dennis, I don't know if I'd say he's back yet, because he only struck out 4 guys

the old randy would've struck out 14 lol

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleX
        I agree. Tigers seem to be coming down recently. Plus Johnson had just 4 Ks and gave up 3 walks, not a good sign that he's returning to the Johnson of old.
        To me, it's the "First Step" thing, whereby the longest step in a journey is the first one. It's also the one whereby someone can build upon.

Not an awesome start, but much better than before. I wouldn't expect him to come from being darned awful to being the 8-10K monster we've known who can dominate pitchers like nobody's business.

He did what he had to do, kept his team in the game. A shutout is a shutout, even if he only pitched 6 innings, was yanked in the 7th after a leadoff double.

I'll take the Jaret Wright approach to patience here. So long as the score is low, if he gives us 6 innings, I'll deal with it. What was he giving us before, 3-4 innings? Far better than what Pavano's doing right now.
        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• It would have been easy for a guy like Johnson to just fade away. Whats left to accomplish? The guy has done it all and now he's a step behind and fighting father time. He's going to be 43yo, has an un-Godly lifetime W-L record and ERA, has his ring, 5 Cy Youngs, no-hitters, is a millionaire many times over..........

Instead he comes out and gives this kind of effort, against a team like the Tigers, after the lousy streak he's had??? That's a true professional. the unit is still a gamer..... Best of all?? He beat the hated Tigers!
          "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
            To me, it's the "First Step" thing, whereby the longest step in a journey is the first one. It's also the one whereby someone can build upon.

Not an awesome start, but much better than before. I wouldn't expect him to come from being darned awful to being the 8-10K monster we've known who can dominate pitchers like nobody's business.

He did what he had to do, kept his team in the game. A shutout is a shutout, even if he only pitched 6 innings, was yanked in the 7th after a leadoff double.

I'll take the Jaret Wright approach to patience here. So long as the score is low, if he gives us 6 innings, I'll deal with it. What was he giving us before, 3-4 innings? Far better than what Pavano's doing right now.

He used his splitter a lot more yesterday which must have helped. The first step actually happened his last start with the 8 K's. However, I`d take this any day over the 8 K's.

By the way Roger Clemens is supposed to decide at the end of this week. I actually think the Yankees might sign him. Houston's .500 record will hurt them and even though Texas leads their division they also are mediocore. I just can`t see him going to Boston and respecting the way they just ignore all the Manny being Manny buisness. Where do you think he will go

UPDATE: Clemens was signed by Houston.
            Last edited by Mariano_Rivera; 05-30-2006, 05:08 PM.
            2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

• Can someone tell me the Yankees Day record?

Comment

• Bases juiced in the bottom of the 1st, nobody out. Aaron Small gets a foulout, lineout to SS and a K. Hilarious.
                Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Before anyone starts clamoring about Rivera working 3 innings today, I just want to say that he threw just 16 pitches in the first two innings, and with Erickson, Proctor, and Farnsworth already having pitched, and Villone having worked quite a bit recently, and Torre not trusting Myers for more than a batter or two (and not for righties), Rivera made sense.

I don't understand why Rivera's ERA is just 2.30. It seemed like he gave up a lot of runs in the first month of the season.

Farnsworth is good one day, shaky the next two.

I don't think we've thrown enough praise to Mike Myers and especially to Ron Villone. They've been great (especially Villone).

Hopefully tonight's 1-2-3 inning will help Proctor turn the corner from his recent struggles.

Comment

• Has Andy Phillips ever gotten 4 RBI's???
                    Yankees '09

Arod, CC, AJ, DJ and Tex

Comment

• It's a win -- good for Giambi, Cabrera, Phillips, Bernie and Mo -- but still with a lot of questions in it. Bad game for Jeter (is the hand worse than he says?), there's Sheff's wrist, Damon's foot. A five-run lead but they can't hold it. How long you can go on using 4, 5, 6 pitchers in a game before they start to tire out, one here, one there? They need one more arm, at least, and that means sending someone down. But who? Melky's hitting, Long can spell Sheff or Damon, Giambi's not an every-day guy at first so Phillips stays. Sending down one pitcher to bring in another doesn't add bodies, but can the team afford carrying a guy who can only pitch to one batter, and he has to be left-handed? In the meanwhile, the starters have just got to go deeper into the games than six innings. Yeah, I know, they're tied for first, but is this a recipe for long-term success?

Comment

• Originally posted by Yankee Legend
                        Has Andy Phillips ever gotten 4 RBI's???
                        Kinda hard to do...when your MGR doesn't give you the opportunity and wastes the rare ones you "could" get ...by giving them to some guy named Cairo.
                        "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyStarks
                          Kinda hard to do...when your MGR doesn't give you the opportunity and wastes the rare ones you "could" get ...by giving them to some guy named Cairo.
                          Hey Cairo's got to get playing time once in a while too.
                          Yankees '09

Arod, CC, AJ, DJ and Tex

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyStarks
                            I have no problem with Miggy getting games, but to me, he shouldn't be playing 1B. Cairo's the better fielder, so Miggy should try the 2B/SS/3B spots.

Still, my mind can't help but wonder when, on the day Jeter was taken out of the lineup because of the hand bruise, that there was Miggy at SS, and next to him at 3B was Alex Rodriguez. When Jeter went flying into the stands, cut his face, Alex was moved to SS. I still can't see how Alex stays at 3B while Miggy gets the Yankee SS spot, even for a day.

Comment

• I don't understand why Rivera's ERA is just 2.30. It seemed like he gave up a lot of runs in the first month of the season.

They were all walk offs and therefore only 1 run

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                                Still, my mind can't help but wonder when, on the day Jeter was taken out of the lineup because of the hand bruise, that there was Miggy at SS, and next to him at 3B was Alex Rodriguez. When Jeter went flying into the stands, cut his face, Alex was moved to SS. I still can't see how Alex stays at 3B while Miggy gets the Yankee SS spot, even for a day.
                                While you could just say that A-Rod is still a SS at heart, I think his arm is considerably better than Miggy C's. Now, a good while after that incident, I think he's settled down at third base.
                                "It ain't over 'til it's over" - Yogi

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X