The Season: 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mikesty
    While you could just say that A-Rod is still a SS at heart, I think his arm is considerably better than Miggy C's. Now, a good while after that incident, I think he's settled down at third base.
    He's always had a top arm. He'd made the crazy plays look simple. I've considered him the Ichiro of the infield, who also makes plays look simple. I've seen them both at Yankee Stadium, with Rodriguez as a Ranger.

Alex does the barehanded grab thing well that Brosius and Ventura did for us, charged the ball, threw quickly and accurately. He puts hustle and finesse without doing the crazy stuff.

Jeter, I wouldn't say he's as good as Rodriguez, does use lots of hustle to make up for any shortcomings, so for now, I don't totally mind that Alex, not Derek, is our SS. Of course, seeing Jeter at 3B would be my ideal preference.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
      I have no problem with Miggy getting games, but to me, he shouldn't be playing 1B. Cairo's the better fielder, so Miggy should try the 2B/SS/3B spots.

Still, my mind can't help but wonder when, on the day Jeter was taken out of the lineup because of the hand bruise, that there was Miggy at SS, and next to him at 3B was Alex Rodriguez. When Jeter went flying into the stands, cut his face, Alex was moved to SS. I still can't see how Alex stays at 3B while Miggy gets the Yankee SS spot, even for a day.
      That was a very complicated game in terms of the Yankees lineup changes from start to finish. Here it was at the start of the game:

1) Kenny Lofton - CF
      2) Derek Jeter - SS
      3) Gary Sheffield - RF
      4) Alex Rodriguez - 3B
      5) Hideki Matsui - C
      6) Bernie Williams - DH
      7) Jorge Posada - C
      8) Tony Clark - 1B
      9) Enrique Wilson - 2B

Here's the lineup at the end of the game:

1) Miguel Cairo - 2B
      2) John Flaherty - Pitch-Hitting for the pitcher (Tanyon Sturtze) because the Yanks had to waive the DH by this point; Jason Giambi also pitch-hit in this spot earlier.
      3) Gary Sheffield - 3B
      4) Alex Rodriguez - SS
      5) Bubbay Crosby - LF
      6) Bernie Williams - CF
      7) Jorge Posada - C
      8) Tony Clark - 1B
      9) Ruben Sierra - RF

Comment

• Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
        I don't understand why Rivera's ERA is just 2.30. It seemed like he gave up a lot of runs in the first month of the season.

They were all walk offs and therefore only 1 run
        Should it be higher or lower than this?

For me, Mo was the man last night. I have mixed feelings about him coming out for a 3rd inning with a 5-run lead. From last night's game, we'd used Aaron to start, then Erickson, Proctor and Farnsworth for an inning apiece, followed by Mo for the 9th-11th. I'm a bit torn between whether anyone in our pen is that bad that they can't hold a 5-run lead over 1 single inning, as Mo could've been needed in the finale of the series.

After this, we've got Baltimore at Camden, followed by a 10-game homestand of Boston, Oakland and Cleveland, with Baltimore and the latter two being possibly pencilled in for a contender's spot. Gotta beat who you play is all I can tell you.
        Originally posted by DoubleX
        That was a very complicated game in terms of the Yankees lineup changes from start to finish. Here it was at the start of the game:
        Yeah, I remember the massive lineup changes. I do remember that Sheff had said earlier in that season that he'd played a little 3B, could do so if needed. At that time, we'd needed someone to play there, since Sierra could play a fairly decent RF. Thanks for the reminder of the fielding changes.

Seriously, which would you rather have? Miguel Cairo at SS, Alex Rodriguez at 3B? Or Miguel Cairo at 3B, Alex Rodriguez at SS?
        Last edited by Mattingly; 05-31-2006, 02:37 PM.
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
          Yeah, I remember the massive lineup changes. I do remember that Sheff had said earlier in that season that he'd played a little 3B, could do so if needed. At that time, we'd needed someone to play there, since Sierra could play a fairly decent RF. Thanks for the reminder of the fielding changes.

Seriously, which would you rather have? Miguel Cairo at SS, Alex Rodriguez at 3B? Or Miguel Cairo at 3B, Alex Rodriguez at SS?
          I'd rather have A-Rod playing SS than Jeter. The problem in that 2004 game was that if A-Rod stayed at 3B and Cairo at SS, there would be no one to play 2B. It took desperation for A-Rod to play SS (and Sheffield to play 3B).

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleX
            I'd rather have A-Rod playing SS than Jeter. The problem in that 2004 game was that if A-Rod stayed at 3B and Cairo at SS, there would be no one to play 2B. It took desperation for A-Rod to play SS (and Sheffield to play 3B).
            I'd rather have A-Rod playing SS than Jeter in a regular game. I love the man's playing, but he can still be the captain and play 3B. Gehrig was the Captain, played 1B, as was Don Mattingly. Munson was the Captain, was catcher. Who says a 3B can't be a Captain?

He plays a fine SS, but if there's an obviously better choice, why not just make it? I can tell you of 29 other teams who'd put Alex Rodriguez at SS right now.

Comment

• Moose doing what the doctor ordered: Torre told him they needed him to go long, and he's finished the 8th having tossed just 78 pitches. It would be great to see a complete game. But where's Jeter? Is it the hand? Nothing about it on the Yanks' Website. But it looks like Sheff's headed for DL. Damon also sitting out. Cairo playing nicely at SS. A-rod bashers: He just drove in a badly needed insurance run with a triple to the wall to bring in Giambi, and then beat the throw home from 3rd on Cano's FC. He's 3 for 4, driving in 2 of the team's 4 runs. Yeah, but where is he when we need him?
              Last edited by sandlot; 05-31-2006, 07:29 PM.

Comment

• A-Rod's been on fire pretty much since Sheffield and Matsui went down. I said at the time, them going down could be a blessing in disguise for some players, such as A-Rod, whose role would become better defined and he would not get lost in the shuffle of all the hired guns.

Comment

• A-Rod's turned around
                  "It ain't over 'til it's over" - Yogi

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyStarks
                    Kinda hard to do...when your MGR doesn't give you the opportunity and wastes the rare ones you "could" get ...by giving them to some guy named Cairo.
                    Why do people keep insisting that Phillips is a major league ball player? Far be it for me to defend A-Rod, but that error that he picked up in the 9th today could just have easily been saved if Phillips was capable of making a play that Giambi makes fairly regularly. Sometimes he looks awkward at 1st, especially when taking throws from the infielders. He certainly doesn't save any of his fellow infielders. Granted, he occasionally makes nice plays on his own, but it's hardly worth the problems that he causes by not being able to handle routine throws from the other infielders. Secondly, I keep hearing that he doesn't get enough ABs to show his talent. Cabrera has 61 ABs, and is batting .328. Even if that doesn't hold up, you can see that he has the potential to stay at the major league level and make an impact. Phillips has had approximately the same number of ABs, 59. He is batting .220, with 14 Ks. Cairo has 47 ABs, and is batting .277. Why is it so hard to admit that Cairo is an all around better player? Last week he stole 2nd and 3rd, eventually scoring the winning run. Someone had to downplay that achievement by coming up with the fact that the pitcher was easy to run on. What exactly is it about Phillips that makes people on this board think that he deserves playing time on the Yankees? Is it the warning track power? The high strikeout ratio? Maybe it's the inability to make routine catches at first, or the Giambi-like speed.

Originally posted by DoubleX
                    I'd rather have A-Rod playing SS than Jeter.
                    What has anyone seen in the last 2 1/2 years that would make them believe that A-Rod is or ever was a better SS than Jeter? He has a better arm, and that's about it. When I rarely saw A-Rod play, I bought into the hype about him being the best SS in the game. But having watched him play since 2004, I see a guy who is average in the field, and has a great arm that makes up for his fielding shortcomings. Has anyone ever witnessed A-Rod take away a hit by going to his left? He can't. He can go to his right pretty well, but is shaky on every pop fly, and still has trouble judging when to charge and when to stay back (please don't mention that this is due to his "recent" move to 3rd - he's had 2 1/2 years to adjust). A-Rod leads the team with 9 errors, and they always seem to come at bad times. As I said earlier, when I only saw A-Rod two or three times a year, I took it for gospel truth that he was the best SS in the league. Now, after watching him play every day, I have to say that I am underwhelmed with his fielding prowess, and it has nothing to do with the move from SS to 3rd base. I would rather have Jeter at SS any day.

Originally posted by Mattingly
                    He plays a fine SS, but if there's an obviously better choice, why not just make it?
                    Because the Yanks don't want a downgrade at the SS position.

Originally posted by Mattingly
                    I can tell you of 29 other teams who'd put Alex Rodriguez at SS right now.
                    Me too - the 29 teams that don't have Derek Jeter.
                    Last edited by SD Bomber Fan; 06-01-2006, 12:59 AM.

Comment

• I'm not a basher by nature, but I'm no apologist either. I watch as many Yankee games as I can, and have been a fan since Mickey's Triple Crown season in 1956.

ARod should be traded for young, quality, starting pitching.

He cannot hold a candle to Derek as a fielder at any position. He has booted easy plays and tonight he threw away Mussina's shut-out. I was at the Stadium on Mothers' Day and saw him make an error that any properly trained little leaguer would have handled. 2 1/2 years is more than enough, especially at his salary!

I saw him on TV, as third baseman, watch as Derek, the shortstop, smashed up his face on a seat making the play. He, as third baseman, was closer to the ball -- but I can't remember ARod ever risking getting hurt by even trying to reach into the stands to catch a ball.

In the clutch, I'd rather have Derek, or Sheff, or Giambi, or Hideki, or Jorge at bat. ARod has good stats but they don't tell the true story. I've seen him fail at crunch time too many times. I'm not impressed by MVP's or RBI rankings if ARod gets them without hitting when it is needed.

He can't field, he uses his "great" arm to throw away the ball, and he seems to be protecting himself from getting hurt in the field.

He belongs in a smaller market, where he'll get the fan adulation he thinks he deserves. And the Yankees should trrade him, and use his salary for good, young arms like Zito.

Trade him, please Mr. Cashman. Maybe Miguel Cairo can be our next third baseman. If not, we can get one who's a better fielder and a decent hitter for a lot less money.
                      Why the Yankees? I have been a fan for many years, through good and bad. And because no other team in history has ever dominated any sport as completely. :gt

Comment

• Originally posted by 1956Yankee
                        I saw him on TV, as third baseman, watch as Derek, the shortstop, smashed up his face on a seat making the play. He, as third baseman, was closer to the ball -- but I can't remember ARod ever risking getting hurt by even trying to reach into the stands to catch a ball.
                        In all fairness, Jeter actually had a better shot at getting to that ball. Its a lot easier to range to his right to get to the ball then it would be for Arod to go straight back for it.

Also, the idea of trading anything valuable for Zito makes me sick. I don't look at him and think "good, young arm" anymore. He's nothing like the top-tier talent he was in 2002.

Comment

• 1956Yankee:

Alex Rodriguez has a no-trade clause. It's not that easy trading him. For last night's game, yes, he had an error, but that didn't cost us the game, fortunately. He also went 3-for-4, 2 RBI, so to me, he contributed a lot more than he's detracted.

Yes, there are other 3Bmen who can provide more bang for the buck, but making a trade for them isn't very likely. I can never see Miguel Cairo being put into that position and being as productive.

Alex' bat is heating up, so perhaps a bit of patience may help.

Comment

• SD Bomber the AB's Phillips have recieved have been sporadic so he can go a week without playing before he gets an AB. Then he is rusty and makes an out. Its a vicious cycle. If anyody should replace Phillips it shouldn`t be Cairo it should be Carlos Pena.

1956 Yankees

A-Rod leads the Yankees with 8 game winning hits in reference to clutch. His fielding is great. Yes he has trouble with pop-ups and yes he has 9 errors but historically he gets off to slow fielding starts. You talk about him hitting when it doesn`t matter, he just had an error when it didn`t matter. The SP is fantastic anyway.
                            2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

• Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
                              SD Bomber the AB's Phillips have recieved have been sporadic so he can go a week without playing before he gets an AB. Then he is rusty and makes an out. Its a vicious cycle. If anyody should replace Phillips it shouldn`t be Cairo it should be Carlos Pena.
                              Are you saying that Cairo gets consistent ABs? Let's face it - Phillips isn't a good player whether he gets consistent PT or not. Cairo is one of the rare players who can perform when called upon - be that as an every day player, or a guy who comes off the bench once in a blue moon. As far as Pena is concerned, he has streaky power, but strikes out when he doesn't hit a HR. With this depleted lineup, the last thing the Yanks need is a guy who may hit a HR ever 25 ABs, but strikes out every other time. They need people who put the ball in play. The small ball has worked so far, so I don't really think that Pena would do much to help.

Comment

• Originally posted by SD Bomber Fan
                                What has anyone seen in the last 2 1/2 years that would make them believe that A-Rod is or ever was a better SS than Jeter? He has a better arm, and that's about it. When I rarely saw A-Rod play, I bought into the hype about him being the best SS in the game. But having watched him play since 2004, I see a guy who is average in the field, and has a great arm that makes up for his fielding shortcomings. Has anyone ever witnessed A-Rod take away a hit by going to his left? He can't. He can go to his right pretty well, but is shaky on every pop fly, and still has trouble judging when to charge and when to stay back (please don't mention that this is due to his "recent" move to 3rd - he's had 2 1/2 years to adjust). A-Rod leads the team with 9 errors, and they always seem to come at bad times. As I said earlier, when I only saw A-Rod two or three times a year, I took it for gospel truth that he was the best SS in the league. Now, after watching him play every day, I have to say that I am underwhelmed with his fielding prowess, and it has nothing to do with the move from SS to 3rd base. I would rather have Jeter at SS any day.
                                Jeter has terrible range at SS. It's improved in the last few years, but A-Rod had much better range as a SS and got to a ton of balls that Jeter still can't get to, particularly up the middle. You can't judge A-Rod's ability as a SS on what he's done at 3B. If you put Jeter at 3B, he'd probably look absolutely dreadful, particularly since he has almost no range to his glove side, and that's where a 3Bman needs all their range since they're close to the line on their throwing side. Jeter is by no means bad, and certainly not as bad as sabermatricians would like us to believe, but he's overhyped defensively, certainly didn't deserve the GG two years ago (he was more deserving last year), while A-Rod was legitimately a very good defensive SS. And a lot of those flashy plays Jeter makes when he's jumping away from 1B as he's jumping, they look good because he has to make up for his lack of range.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X