Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TonyStarks
    LOL
    I don't think Matsui is losing sleep over Melky. Sheffield is the one who should be worrying!
    You beat me to it this time. Cabrera's emergence, especially the fact that he seems to be improving all the time (especially in the field), in addition to the fact that at 21 he already has pretty good plate discipline and can hit major league pitching, might be signaling that this could be Sheffield's last year in pinstripes. If Cabrera keeps improving, Sheffield could hope that he could return as the primary DH and rotate in the OF on occasion with Matsui, but that would probably require Andy Phillips to regress.

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleX
      You beat me to it this time. Cabrera's emergence, especially the fact that he seems to be improving all the time (especially in the field), in addition to the fact that at 21 he already has pretty good plate discipline and can hit major league pitching, might be signaling that this could be Sheffield's last year in pinstripes. If Cabrera keeps improving, Sheffield could hope that he could return as the primary DH and rotate in the OF on occasion with Matsui, but that would probably require Andy Phillips to regress.
      I dunno.
      I definately think it's time to cut bait on Sheff. He's aged, he's constantly hurt or playing hurt...I think it's time to move in another direction. Give Melky the RF position and let Sheff get his $13M per from the Rangers or somewhen else who wants a DH.
      "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• Sheff's definite DH material from here on in. Cabrera just keeps impressing, and Mazzilli has a lot to do with his defensive improvement. Cabrera has good baserunning sense and seems to be a pretty good slap hitter as well. A young, hungry hitter who can instigate on the basepaths, maybe a lot like Juan Pierre? Mattingly needs to make Cabrera a pet project, if he hasn't already. There could be some very interesting options at the top of the lineup if Cabrera keeps it going.

Comment

• Interesting points. With this expected to be Bernie's last year -- I hope, because I want to see him go out with head high and another ring -- Sheff could step into that position. But then, what to do with Giambi? I'd be happy to keep Phillips, even if he cools off, and have Sheff DH and playing 4th OF (if he'd accept that role). As for Matsui: I expect him to come back with a vengeance; he has so much pride, and his inflamed knee is getting a chance to heal fully. Looking down the line, I think a successor to Posada might be a priority acquisition.

Comment

• From what I'm hearing, both Michael Kay on ESPN 1050 AM and YES have confirmed that tonight's Yankee-Red Sox game was called due to rain, to be made up in September.

Tonight's Red Sox-Yanks game postponed
            New York Yankees Media Relations
            June 7 2006

Tonight's game between the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox at Yankee Stadium has been postponed due to rain. No rescheduled date has been announced.

Fans holding paid tickets for tonight's postponed game may use them for the rescheduled game between the Yankees and Red Sox or exchange their paid tickets for any remaining 2006 regular-season game at Yankee Stadium subject to availability.

Tickets can be exchanged at Yankee Stadium Advance Ticket Windows only (open Monday through Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Sunday from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., and until the 7th inning of any regularly scheduled home game).

Complimentary tickets cannot be exchanged.
            Last edited by Mattingly; 06-07-2006, 03:32 PM.
            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
            THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by sandlot
              Interesting points. With this expected to be Bernie's last year -- I hope, because I want to see him go out with head high and another ring -- Sheff could step into that position. But then, what to do with Giambi? I'd be happy to keep Phillips, even if he cools off, and have Sheff DH and playing 4th OF (if he'd accept that role). As for Matsui: I expect him to come back with a vengeance; he has so much pride, and his inflamed knee is getting a chance to heal fully. Looking down the line, I think a successor to Posada might be a priority acquisition.
              I couldn't agree with you more about Posada, that's why trading Dioner Navarro in the Randy Johnson deal still smarts so much for me. He's only 22, he's supposed to be pretty good defensively, and switch-hits. It would have been perfect for him to be Posada's apprentice over the next couple of seasons like Posada was for Girardi starting in '97. It might take a few more years to phase out Posada (who's still very productive for a catcher), but even by then Navarro would only be 24 or 25 and would have learned from a true class act and gamer.

On a related note, I have read various things during this season that the Dodgers might be looking to unload Navarro since they another good young catcher in Russell Martin and have Sandy Alomar Jr to back him up. I'd like to see the Yanks work out some kind of trade to get Navarro back (couldn't be any worse than Stinnett at this point anyway).

Comment

• Red Sox-Yankees washed out--Schilling, Wright to keep turns in rotation, meet Thursday
                NEW YORK -- Wednesday night's game between the Red Sox and the Yankees was postponed by rain, but not the scheduled duel between right-handers Curt Schilling and Jaret Wright.

With the four-game series whittled to three by day-long showers that forced the postponement at 4:10 p.m. ET, Schilling and Wright will keep their date when the set concludes Thursday night at 7:05 p.m. ET at Yankee Stadium.

The postponement -- a makeup date was not immediately announced -- ensured the Yankees of remaining in the American League East lead when the Red Sox leave town. The Bombers hold a 1 1/2-game lead. Following Thursday night's game, the teams won't see each other again until Aug. 18 in Boston.
                Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleX
                  I couldn't agree with you more about Posada, that's why trading Dioner Navarro in the Randy Johnson deal still smarts so much for me. He's only 22, he's supposed to be pretty good defensively, and switch-hits. It would have been perfect for him to be Posada's apprentice over the next couple of seasons like Posada was for Girardi starting in '97. It might take a few more years to phase out Posada (who's still very productive for a catcher), but even by then Navarro would only be 24 or 25 and would have learned from a true class act and gamer.

On a related note, I have read various things during this season that the Dodgers might be looking to unload Navarro since they another good young catcher in Russell Martin and have Sandy Alomar Jr to back him up. I'd like to see the Yanks work out some kind of trade to get Navarro back (couldn't be any worse than Stinnett at this point anyway).
                  Who'd we trade to get him back? Since Boston got back backup C, Doug Mirabelli, after having done a straight-up trade with San Diego for 2B Mark Loretta, anything's possible.

After that Kevin Brown fiasco, I figure that the Dodgers owe us one anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                    Who'd we trade to get him back? Since Boston got back backup C, Doug Mirabelli, after having done a straight-up trade with San Diego for 2B Mark Loretta, anything's possible.

After that Kevin Brown fiasco, I figure that the Dodgers owe us one anyway.
                    Probably have to package some minor leaguers together.

Comment

• Thank God today was a rain out!
                      Jaret Wright was gonna get us blown out!!! ")
                      "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                        Who'd we trade to get him back? Since Boston got back backup C, Doug Mirabelli, after having done a straight-up trade with San Diego for 2B Mark Loretta, anything's possible.After that Kevin Brown fiasco, I figure that the Dodgers owe us one anyway.
                        Is there are catcher for whom you would trade Giambi or Sheffield? Hard to justify keeping two guys who are both basically DH.

Comment

Is there are catcher for whom you would trade Giambi or Sheffield? Hard to justify keeping two guys who are both basically DH.
                          I'd LOVE to have Brian McCann from Atlanta, Ramon Hernandez would be nice too.

Comment

• do u think

do u think this yankee team is good enough to win it all?

Comment

• Originally posted by sec39fan
                              do u think this yankee team is good enough to win it all?
                              I won't say that I know much about baseball. On the contrary. But I really don't think that they will win it this year. IMO the pitching is too shaky. There are too many old players, with injury risks.

I sure HOPE that they will win it all this year, but to be honest... I don't think they will.

Comment

Giambi's got a no-trade and Sheffield's on the DL. We couldn't trade either one of them if we wanted to.

Also, Giambi, Moose and Godzilla share the same agent, as the Yanks encouraged Matsui to find a so-called "Yankee-friendly agent" before he signed. If things go south with Giambi, then the Moose deal (I'm unsure if he's automatically an FA or just has an option year left) could be affected.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X