Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TonyStarks
    Thank God today was a rain out!
    Jaret Wright was gonna get us blown out!!! ")
    Any moreso than today, since he's pitching?

I've heard some logic that RJ's finally getting it together, so going to face Boston may have been a bit much. Still, he's got very good numbers off Ortiz, but needs to IBB Manny once or twice a game, I think.

I think that if we were facing Matt Clement instead of Curt Schilling, I'd feel much more comfortable. Right now, I'm looking for a score like 6-4 or something. Could go either way, but I'm thinking Boston looks to win this one.
    Originally posted by sec39fan
    do u think this yankee team is good enough to win it all?
    Who can ever figure that one? I wasn't sure that the White Sox or Red Sox would've won it all, but they did. It's all how you play and how often you beat people. That "intestinal fortitude" or whatever is nice, but in the end, you still have to outscore your opponents before everyone walks off the field.
    Last edited by Mattingly; 06-08-2006, 04:04 PM.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

I'd LOVE to have Brian McCann from Atlanta, Ramon Hernandez would be nice too.
      I was trying to think of ways to pry McCann from the Braves in the offseason. Almost no chance of it happening though.

Comment

• Well, that was pathetic. While the lineup might be able to work, this SP and bullpen need to improve for the Yanks to have any postseason hopes. The Yanks' pitching got crushed tonight in back to back innings.

While it was obvious that the Yanks weren't going to win this game, I was upset with the batters after both of the Sox scoring innings. In the bottom of the 6th and 7th, after the Sox scored 3 and 5 runs respectively, the Yanks batters swung at almost every pitch, and went 1-2-3 in both innings, on a total of about 17 pitches. It especially bothered me in the bottom of the 6th, when the Sox just took the lead by 1 run. I think a little bit of patience could have been used, instead of running back out onto the field after a minute and a half. That may have led to the big inning in the 7th.

How's that Scott Proctor bandwagon goin'? I think that we're seeing the real Scott Proctor now - similar to Sturtze in the second half of last year. It would be hard to find someone more useless against the Red Sox than Proctor, except for the fact that the Yanks have ARod on the team. It;s painful to see, because I have to watch either Manny or Ortiz or both dismantle Yankee pitching, while ARod strikes out or hits weak pop ups.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
          Giambi's got a no-trade and Sheffield's on the DL. We couldn't trade either one of them if we wanted to. Also, Giambi, Moose and Godzilla share the same agent, as the Yanks encouraged Matsui to find a so-called "Yankee-friendly agent" before he signed. If things go south with Giambi, then the Moose deal (I'm unsure if he's automatically an FA or just has an option year left) could be affected.
          Very complicated, Matt, thanks for that. Still, now Sheff's out until September, at least, and this is the last year of his contract. Maybe if someone else offered him an atractive three-year deal, he'd accept, though not many teams might want to pay $13 mill for a 38-year-old guy coming off DH. Sheff's his own agent, so that makes it a bit less tricky. On other matters: I've seen more than enough of Proctor and Erickson, thanks. And as for A-rod: He's almost hitless since the start of the month, which is a long drought for him, and is even worse than his very bad April. I have the uncomfortable feeling that maybe this fellow has some kind of issues at work, but I hope I'm wrong and that he goes on a tear. Still, they've taken two of three from the Dread Sox and are in first, so shouldn't complain too much.

Comment

• Originally posted by SD Bomber Fan
            Well, that was pathetic. While the lineup might be able to work, this SP and bullpen need to improve for the Yanks to have any postseason hopes. The Yanks' pitching got crushed tonight in back to back innings.

While it was obvious that the Yanks weren't going to win this game, I was upset with the batters after both of the Sox scoring innings. In the bottom of the 6th and 7th, after the Sox scored 3 and 5 runs respectively, the Yanks batters swung at almost every pitch, and went 1-2-3 in both innings, on a total of about 17 pitches. It especially bothered me in the bottom of the 6th, when the Sox just took the lead by 1 run. I think a little bit of patience could have been used, instead of running back out onto the field after a minute and a half. That may have led to the big inning in the 7th.

How's that Scott Proctor bandwagon goin'? I think that we're seeing the real Scott Proctor now - similar to Sturtze in the second half of last year. It would be hard to find someone more useless against the Red Sox than Proctor, except for the fact that the Yanks have ARod on the team. It;s painful to see, because I have to watch either Manny or Ortiz or both dismantle Yankee pitching, while ARod strikes out or hits weak pop ups.
            Sorry folks, but I agree! To compound matters, ARod blew the play that gave up the lead run to the Sox. The ball hit him in the glove!!

We need starting pitching, before we burn out any more relievers, which might be the problem with Proctor. Wright can't seem to get out of the sixth to save his, and our life. RJ may be getting tougher, or more comfortable with being in NYC, but he is showing his age.

I'll suggest again: Find a place where the fans will shower adulation on ARod and his "No Trade", and trade him for some younger starting pitching and a decent third baseman (a Nettles or Brosius type) in exchange for him. Better starters will take the load off the relievers. Then we can see whether Proctor and Farnsworth (even Small, who I like, but has been atrocious this year) have "the right stuff", or just "stuff".

Package Wright with ARod, if necessary, but get some stud young starters in exchange. Avoid trading Wang; he's likely a developing young stud, especially with Guidry's influence. I watch ARod and I see trade bait more than player of the month. The hits are rarely clutch and he keeps making really bush league fielding gaffs. I don't think "Cashman's cache" contains the starting pitching we need.
            Last edited by 1956Yankee; 06-09-2006, 07:24 AM.
            Why the Yankees? I have been a fan for many years, through good and bad. And because no other team in history has ever dominated any sport as completely. :gt

Comment

• On the other hand . . .

Originally posted by yankees rule
              I won't say that I know much about baseball. On the contrary. But I really don't think that they will win it this year. IMO the pitching is too shaky. There are too many old players, with injury risks.

I sure HOPE that they will win it all this year, but to be honest... I don't think they will.
              Maybe we are seeing a renaissance and we can win it all!

How do you lose Hideki Matsui (probably for the season), Gary Sheffield (twice, and now until at least September), Mariano Rivera (albeit briefly), Derek Jeter (again briefly, thank our lucky stars -- but against Boston?), Jorge Posada (again briefly, again Somebody up there is watching over us), Carl Pavano (a starter with so much promise, and so many injuries), Shawn Chacon(due back soon), Johnny Damon (broken foot, but still playing -- and the third member of that pre-season vaunted outfield), Tanyon Sturtze (gone for the season?) and I don't even remember who else -- but still end up in first place?!

Melky Cabrera has come up BIG (I've never seen Manny Ramirez look as shocked, after Melky stopped bouncing around on the outfield grass with the ball Manny THOUGHT he'd hit for a home run.) Andy Phillips has recently quieted critics with his fielding and hitting. Let's not forget last year's call-up -- Robinson Cano -- who is playing like the seasoned veteran he's apparently become!

The Yankees keep fielding a team of replacements who are getting the hits AND making the plays.

The players are doing their jobs.

It seems that Brian Cashman has also been doing his; these players are coming from somewhere: I've dubbed it "Cashman's Cache".

But, let's not forget often-maligned Joe Torre, and his often-maligned coaching staff.

Isn't it amazing to see Ron Guidry on the mound, calming so many pitchers with his experience? And isn't it great to see Don Mattingly imparting his hitting knowledge to this new generation of Yankee batters?

Let us also not forget that Zim and Stott have hung up their spikes, and Willie Randolph has the Mets in first place -- but they've been replaced, too.

When George did his job, and just stepped back and let Cashman and Torre and their staffs and players do their jobs, we ended up in first place.

Oh, sure, the season isn't over, and skeptics, including yours truly, know we still need pitching.

Maybe what we need will continue to come from within this season -- and maybe it won't be due to magic, but to good analysis and planning -- and the right people doing their jobs the right way at the right time.
              Why the Yankees? I have been a fan for many years, through good and bad. And because no other team in history has ever dominated any sport as completely. :gt

Comment

• Originally posted by SD Bomber Fan
                The Proctor bandwagon is in the same place as your "I'd rather see Miguel Cairo play 1B than Andy Phillips" bandwagon.

Proctor's been overworked, just like Sturtze was a few years ago. But Proctor has shown more than Sturtze ever did. Still, his woes against the Sox are disturbing, but I'm not jumping ship just yet.

As for A-Rod against the Sox, his career line against the Sox is:

507 AB, .284, 32, 81, 0.885 OPS.

And since coming to the Yankees, A-Rod's line against the Sox each year has been:

2004: 72 AB, .306, 3, 9, 0.898 OPS
                2005: 70 AB, .271, 6, 11, 0.934 OPS
                2006: 36 AB, .222, 3, 6, 0.789 OPS

This year A-Rod has been pretty bad against the Sox, but overall, he's been pretty good against the Sox, and certainly far from "useless."

Comment

• The difference in today's game:

Giving up a 2R-HR to a guy who's hitting 2 fer 35ish ... and we complain about A-Rod.
                  "It ain't over 'til it's over" - Yogi

Comment

• Originally posted by mikesty
                    The difference in today's game:

Giving up a 2R-HR to a guy who's hitting 2 fer 35ish ... and we complain about A-Rod.
                    Johnson's terrible. Terrific career, no doubt Hall of Famer, probably an all-time top 10 pitcher, but it was ludicrous for the Yankees to make that trade (and try so hard in doing so) and then give him an extension.

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleX
                      Johnson's terrible. Terrific career, no doubt Hall of Famer, probably an all-time top 10 pitcher, but it was ludicrous for the Yankees to make that trade (and try so hard in doing so) and then give him an extension.
                      Maybe Steinbrenner will learn with this trade. Guess not, hope so.

Comment

The Proctor bandwagon is in the same place as your "I'd rather see Miguel Cairo play 1B than Andy Phillips" bandwagon.

Proctor's been overworked, just like Sturtze was a few years ago. But Proctor has shown more than Sturtze ever did. Still, his woes against the Sox are disturbing, but I'm not jumping ship just yet.
                        I completely agree. Scott's been over worked and Torre went to the well far too many times.

But on that same subject....I noticed that Scott's has gotten beat up by the BoSox and they are mostly to blame for his ERA being north of 3 currently. If any could confirm this....because I have see Manny and co hit a few 3Run jacks off him in the last 2 weeks or so.
                        "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

I completely agree. Scott's been over worked and Torre went to the well far too many times.

But on that same subject....I noticed that Scott's has gotten beat up by the BoSox and they are mostly to blame for his ERA being north of 3 currently. If any could confirm this....because I have see Manny and co hit a few 3Run jacks off him in the last 2 weeks or so.
                          Part of the problem with Proctor is not just that he pitches almost everyday, but that he often pitches multiple innings. It's got to be taking a toll out of the pen. Another disturbing trend about Proctor is that a lot of the hits he gives up are with two strikes. He can't seem to finish batters.

Here's his line against Boston in each appearance and it it overall affected his ERA:

5/10: 1.1 IP, O ER, 0 H, 1 K, 0 BB, 1.25 ERA
                          5/11: 0.1 IP, 1 ER, 3 H, 0 K, 0 BB, 1.64 ERA
                          5/23: 1.1 IP, 4 ER, 4 H, 0 K, 2 BB, 2.94 ERA (Jumping from 1.84!)
                          5/24: 0.2 IP, 1 ER, 1 H, 0 K, 0 BB, 3.16 ERA
                          6/5: 1.0 IP, 0 ER, 0 H, 0 K, 0 BB, 3.46 ERA
                          6/8: 1.1 IP, 3 ER, 3 H, 0 K, 1 BB, 4.02 ERA

The 5/23 and 6/8 games were particularly bad for Proctor's ERA. But looking at his game logs, his ERA epxerienced a bump from giving up 3 run against KC 1.2 innings a few weeks ago and two runs against Texas in an innning a couple of weeks before that. And that's about it.

Comment

Part of the problem with Proctor is not just that he pitches almost everyday, but that he often pitches multiple innings. It's got to be taking a toll out of the pen. Another disturbing trend about Proctor is that a lot of the hits he gives up are with two strikes. He can't seem to finish batters.

Here's his line against Boston in each appearance and it it overall affected his ERA:

5/10: 1.1 IP, O ER, 0 H, 1 K, 0 BB, 1.25 ERA
                            5/11: 0.1 IP, 1 ER, 3 H, 0 K, 0 BB, 1.64 ERA
                            5/23: 1.1 IP, 4 ER, 4 H, 0 K, 2 BB, 2.94 ERA (Jumping from 1.84!)
                            5/24: 0.2 IP, 1 ER, 1 H, 0 K, 0 BB, 3.16 ERA
                            6/5: 1.0 IP, 0 ER, 0 H, 0 K, 0 BB, 3.46 ERA
                            6/8: 1.1 IP, 3 ER, 3 H, 0 K, 1 BB, 4.02 ERA

The 5/23 and 6/8 games were particularly bad for Proctor's ERA. But looking at his game logs, his ERA epxerienced a bump from giving up 3 run against KC 1.2 innings a few weeks ago and two runs against Texas in an innning a couple of weeks before that. And that's about it.
                            Everytime I look at the boxscores...there's Proctor pitching 1.2 to sometimes 3 innings and it's just about every other game. Usually when Johnson or Jaret pitches..you can expect Proctor to be involved.

__
                            Proctor has gone at least 1.2 about 8 times and 4 times when RJ pitches:
                            2.1 (4/13) :: 2.2 (4/18) :: 2 (5/19) and 1.2 (6/3)
                            That's about every 4th RJ start...expect Proctor to put in OT.

Then Jaret Wright:
                            So for the other 4 nights of OT for Proctor:
                            In 2 Jaret Wright games Proctor has gone 3+ Innings and in the other did 2.1.

4/15: 3.1 -- 4/18: 3.0 -- 5/13: 2.1 -- 5/23 1.1

Mind you, I believe Jaret's had 9 Starts...and in 4 Proctor has worked OT.
                            So any night Jaret or Randy are pitching...Proctor's been warming up early, yet in for long nights.

And finally like I said...the BoSox...
                            7 Games for 7 2/3s Innings
                            3HRs / 11H / 3 BB / 9Runs Allowed / .379 Avg against / 12.15 ERA

That's the major reason for the ERA up heaval. And most of that damage happened in 2 games.

They're Proctor's kryptonite. h
                            "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• I'd seen this suggestion on another site, so figured I'd post here.

How do people think of this top of the lineup?
                              1. Damon-L
                              2. Cabrera-S
                              3. Jeter-R
                              4. Giambi-L

That seems to work for me, as it puts Alex in the 5-hole, lets Melky be a good #2 hitter, Jeter can get some hits to drive in a few, even if he's not the best RBI guy.

Thoughts on this?
                              Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                              THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                              Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                                I'd seen this suggestion on another site, so figured I'd post here.

How do people think of this top of the lineup?
                                1. Damon-L
                                2. Cabrera-S
                                3. Jeter-R
                                4. Giambi-L

That seems to work for me, as it puts Alex in the 5-hole, lets Melky be a good #2 hitter, Jeter can get some hits to drive in a few, even if he's not the best RBI guy.

Thoughts on this?
                                I absolutely LOVE Jeter in the 3 hole this season!
                                The guy has just been at his best! I really think he's having his best season!!

Also that L,S,R,L will present problems for MGRs who try to match R's on R's and L's on L's.

Jeter could absolutely hit in any of the Top 3 spots.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X