• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yankees4ever
    I hope Yankees will beat the Angels.
    2 seasons for A-Rod and Jeter have ended their the WBC and the '05 ALDS
    2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

Originally posted by Yankees
      Off topic, but did you lose a sig bet, Mattingly?
      Yeah I was going to say the same

Comment

Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
        We need to help cano learn to play better defense. One day years from now cano will be the starting 2nd baesman and we won`t have Cairo to help him he needs to learn NOW. Oh and Mattingly how dare an Oakland fan use the username "Mattingly" it's a disgrace.
        I will definitely agree that Cano needs to improve his defense. I've seen him turn plays very nicely. However, it's the mental lapses that bother me. I'm not sure who handles fielding chores. In the past, it was ex-Yankee 2Bman Willie Randolph who'd made Soriano his personal student. Unfortunately, Sori's defense has always been described as horrid, awful, etc.

I think that if it's only an inning or two every few days, then it can get him over the mental hump. I'm not sure if there's any regular time for this, but at least a few times would help, I think.

I do hope that he eventually does become a fixture at 2B at Yankee Stadium. For the meanwhile, I'd like to see this defensive replacement thing used every now and then.

As to being an A's fan, how long have you been here speaking to me? I'm the Yankee co-Mod, we've spoken before. We lost a series to the A's, so thus, my av & sig. Capice?
        Originally posted by Yankees
        Off topic, but did you lose a sig bet, Mattingly?
        Yeah, to Zito75 in the Bitter Rivals thread under CE (Current Events). When you outscore a team but still lose 2 of 3, that's pretty bad. Like I said earlier, should've emptied the bench after 6 innings in the 1st game.
        Last edited by Mattingly; 04-07-2006, 07:01 AM.
        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
          I will definitely agree that Cano needs to improve his defense. I've seen him turn plays very nicely. However, it's the mental lapses that bother me. I'm not sure who handles fielding chores. In the past, it was ex-Yankee 2Bman Willie Randolph who'd made Soriano his personal student. Unfortunately, Sori's defense has always been described as horrid, awful, etc.
          I'm guessing that Larry Bowa probably has IF chores given that he was a Gold Gloves SS in the 70s. It's interesting, the Yankees coaching staff has combined to win 21 Gold Gloves! You'd think with that kind of fielding talent to learn from, the Yankees would be a better defensive team. Here's how the coaching staff has fared with Gold Gloves:

Joe Torre: 1 Gold Glove (Catcher)
          Don Mattingly: 9 Gold Gloves (First Base)
          Tony Pena: 4 Gold Gloves (Catcher)
          Larry Bowa: 2 Gold Gloves (Short Stop)
          Ron Guidry: 5 Gold Gloves (Pitcher)

Pretty impressive. Also, current Yankees have combined to win 14 Gold Gloves:

Bernie Williams: 4 Gold Gloves (Center Field)
          Alex Rodriguez: 2 Gold Gloves (Shortstop)
          Derek Jeter: 2 Gold Gloves (Shortstop)
          Mike Mussina: 6 Gold Gloves (Pitcher)

Comment

At least nobody can say that my partner, XX doesn't do his research. :gt
            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
            THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
              At least nobody can say that my partner, XX doesn't do his research. :gt
              I miss your old sgnature and avatar now I keep thining of you as an evil traitor

Comment

Any thoughts of tonight's game?

I hope the Yanks will fare better than the one time I saw them play in Anaheim.

They have had a hard time overthere the last couple of years.

As long as our new Chuck Knoblauch won't commit any errors, it will be OK.

Comment

Originally posted by yankees rule
                  Any thoughts of tonight's game?

I hope the Yanks will fare better than the one time I saw them play in Anaheim.

They have had a hard time overthere the last couple of years.

As long as our new Chuck Knoblauch won't commit any errors, it will be OK.
                  What bugs me is that when we beat them it will beat our new rival the A's

Comment

yankees lose 4-1 with Shacon recieving no run support but get this the Yankees had 6 hits to the Angel's 8 hile they would not have won they should have scored more runs. 1-3 is our record they need to win the next two to get close to .500

Comment

Ugh, I hope these first few games aren't a portend of things to come. I'm starting to long for Eli and the Giants to get back on the field.

I've been thinking about this for a while, and I think the Yankees would be much better off without Sheffield and Giambi. There's just something about them that never really seemed to fit into me, and this goes back to sigining Giambi in 2002. I can't really put my finger on it, but I think their removals would ease the tension and let the team get back to business. Maybe it has something to do with steroids, I don't know, but at the very least, using steroids does speak volumes of character, so in that respect it wouldn't be a coincidence that I singled out Sheffield and Giambi.

This is not meant to denigrate them as players. They are tremendous players, Sheffield, if he comes through all this steroids mess fairly unscathed, he should be a Hall of Famer. I'm just saying they don't seem to quite fit in with the Yankees, and I think the team would be better off and more focused without them. There are too many superstars on this team who can't or won't do the little things that give the team necessary balance or character. I actually wouldn't mind seeing like a month long experiment where Andy Phillips and Kevin Thompson start for the team instead of Sheffield and Giambi, and I'm willing to bet the team would be more successful, would be more relaxed, and more interesting (as Torre would actually have to actively manage again).

Now I know some might say, "well why not get rid of A-Rod?" One, I think he'll benefit from the departure of Sheffield and Giambi because he would be the clear centerpiece instead of being lost and losing focus among like 4 or 5 centerpieces. Two, I think he is a better team player - the guy always plays hard, and he humbled himself by moving to 3B in favor of the great Jeter, a guy that A-Rod has seemed jealous of in the past (don't forget, he was also insisting on taking a pay cut to play for Boston - he just wants to win). That must have been hard for him. Three, there is no steroid controversy swirling around A-Rod. Four, he's the best player on the planet, he's good at everything, and he's in his prime. Sheffield can swipe a few bases still, but he and Giambi are pretty much one dimensional players at this point.

Bottom line, lose Sheffield and Giambi, and the Yankees can get back to basics and discover some character, IMO. Teams aren't meant to have so many superstars. It creates too much pressure and those little yet important things are foresaken. The team needs role players, and not 5 guys playing the superstar role.

Comment

I just want to go back to the decision to bring Proctor in on Tuesday night instead of Rivera. The season is 5 days old and Rivera hasn't been used once. This just goes to show you that you have to manage to win everygame like there is no tomorrow. You play to win today. The season may seem long, especially now, but those games, particularly thoses losses, pile up quickly.

I don't know if it's the makeup of the team affects this, but in the past few years, Torre has become very, very conservative with his managing style, especially compared to when he came to the Yankees. In the last 90', Torre was managing like Mike Scoscia does now. Actively, aggressively, and playing to win each game. Now he just sits back and plays it safe. Like I said, I don't know how much of that has to do with the makeup of the team, but Torre is starting to remind of Tommy Lasorda in his later years with the Dodgers.

Comment

I definitely agree that the team has too many stars and no role players. As for your choice of who to get rid of...well, I agree with Giambi. He's damaged goods. He showed last year that he can still hit well in streaks, but he has no consistency.

I don't understand the construction of this team. The Yanks want to have silver sluggers at every position, and didn't seem to pay much attention to the defensive makeup of the team. As I wrote in another post, I wonder how many runs the Yanks give up by not being able to make defensive plays that are anything more difficult than routine? When was the last time the Yanks stole a hit from someone on a great outfield play? How many outfield assists have we seen over the last year or too? Not enough, in my opinion.

Despite all the great hitters, the lineup doesn't make sense. We have few players who are capable of playing small ball. How many players in this lineup can actually bunt, or move a player over by hitting the opposite way? Why is our DH the weakest hitting player in the lineup, and batting 9th? I realize it's only 4 games into the season, but it's frustrating to see the Yanks score one run.

Comment

Originally posted by SD Bomber Fan
                            I definitely agree that the team has too many stars and no role players. As for your choice of who to get rid of...well, I agree with Giambi. He's damaged goods. He showed last year that he can still hit well in streaks, but he has no consistency.

I don't understand the construction of this team. The Yanks want to have silver sluggers at every position, and didn't seem to pay much attention to the defensive makeup of the team. As I wrote in another post, I wonder how many runs the Yanks give up by not being able to make defensive plays that are anything more difficult than routine? When was the last time the Yanks stole a hit from someone on a great outfield play? How many outfield assists have we seen over the last year or too? Not enough, in my opinion.

Despite all the great hitters, the lineup doesn't make sense. We have few players who are capable of playing small ball. How many players in this lineup can actually bunt, or move a player over by hitting the opposite way? Why is our DH the weakest hitting player in the lineup, and batting 9th? I realize it's only 4 games into the season, but it's frustrating to see the Yanks score one run.
                            Interesting analysis but my responses are number 1 their are good defensive players we have 2 Golden Glove caliber players in A-Rod and Jeter. A very good catcher in Posada. A Golden Glove SP in Mussina (I do relise that he only pitches every 5 days though). Finally they made a significant upgrade in centerfield with Damon.

Our DH was batting 9th because as Newsday stated Torre did not want two sets of back to back lefties in the lineup and split it up. The lineup is well "interesting" we do have small ball players but it's tough to play Bubba Crosby in Right field instead of Gary Sheffield. Sheffield and Giambi hurting chemistry? I suppose so from a certain point of view my opinion in this is that they should both admit to taking steroids they can`t really be hurt any worse than a 10 game suspension. Giambi did not directly admit to taking steroids last year because at the time the Yankees were attempting to void his contract and that would have given them legal ammunition. I understand the media would attack them but they would be seen in a more favorable light by the fans at least. The media has basically convicted them already from the leaked grand jury testimony what is the worst they could do? The Yankees are hardly likely to get rid of the comeback player of the year when they did not do it the `04-'05 offseason. Sheffield would not do it because that would hurt his chances of having his option for next year picked up and the media has not attacked him as badly. I do think trying EITHER Andy Philips or Kevin Thompson not both at the same time I suggest once they get back on track they take out Sheffield. I think Giambi is going to have a big year from the way he looked down the stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
                              I just want to go back to the decision to bring Proctor in on Tuesday night instead of Rivera. The season is 5 days old and Rivera hasn't been used once. This just goes to show you that you have to manage to win everygame like there is no tomorrow. You play to win today. The season may seem long, especially now, but those games, particularly thoses losses, pile up quickly.

I don't know if it's the makeup of the team affects this, but in the past few years, Torre has become very, very conservative with his managing style, especially compared to when he came to the Yankees. In the last 90', Torre was managing like Mike Scoscia does now. Actively, aggressively, and playing to win each game. Now he just sits back and plays it safe. Like I said, I don't know how much of that has to do with the makeup of the team, but Torre is starting to remind of Tommy Lasorda in his later years with the Dodgers.
                              It was a good descision not to bring in Rivera at the time even though it didn`t work out but a bad one to bring in Proctor we have been over this before he should have left Farnsworth in. I think everybody is still to much in the midset of last year's winning every single game. We started off a lot worse than 1-3 last year we have Johnson on the mound tonight and should win.

I can`t speak about the other topic much because I only became a Yankee and baseball fan in '04 but I have to agree. Torre does seem to be very passive we should have at least 3 players on the team stealing 20-30 bases (Damon, Jeter and A-Rod) and we should also have Cano, Matsui and Sheffield stealing around 10 . I am a little obsessed with the stolen base I freely admit this and I do realize that Cano and Matsui are only average with speed but we are far to passive.

Comment

It's getting ugly really quickly here, with another loss and another anemic showing by the offense today. In the past, I was always very vocal on these boards and elsewhere about not getting down on the Yankees too early. But between this year and last year, there are some alarming trends that the team just cannot shake and I fear that unless some major roster changes are made, the team will be unable to shake it.

For now, I'd say Torre should at least trying to work Andy Phillips in the lineup for a few days. At the very least, he'll provide better defense at 1B (I think it was last night that a chopper got through the first base hole for an RBI hit that a decent defensive first basemen would have snagged).

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X