The Season: 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sandlot
    Very complicated, Matt, thanks for that. Still, now Sheff's out until September, at least, and this is the last year of his contract. Maybe if someone else offered him an atractive three-year deal, he'd accept, though not many teams might want to pay $13 mill for a 38-year-old guy coming off DH. Sheff's his own agent, so that makes it a bit less tricky. On other matters: I've seen more than enough of Proctor and Erickson, thanks. And as for A-rod: He's almost hitless since the start of the month, which is a long drought for him, and is even worse than his very bad April. I have the uncomfortable feeling that maybe this fellow has some kind of issues at work, but I hope I'm wrong and that he goes on a tear. Still, they've taken two of three from the Dread Sox and are in first, so shouldn't complain too much.
    I'm presuming that this 2006 season is Sheffield's "show me again" season, meaning he'd have to prove himself all over again in order to earn that 2007 option. I'm not a big fan of using 3-year anlysis to determine a future contract. Some are, but to me, you have to show me what you do in your final year. Of course, if it's the Brady Anderson or Carl Pavano type of one-year wonder thing, then I keep my distance.

I still think that if Sheffield doesn't return to his old self, the patience will wear thin. I can see Torre giving him endless chances, but if he doesn't eventually come through, that's a major sign. If he's entirely left off the postseason roster, as was Giambi in 2004, then it's a foregone conclusion.

I can see Sheffield accept 1/2 of $13m, but he'd essentially be a DH/backup OF. I think that his left gloved arm was stiff, so he was merely waving at the ball or catching standard flyouts. I need to see more games, but he didn't seem like the guy who'd had blazing speed to chase a ball well away from him, so since his bat (as well as bat speed) is his main weapon, then he should stick to the AL.

As to Alex Rodriguez, I'm wondering if he's conspired with Randy Johnson to up the payroll by $32m/yr and kill the team. They've both killed the Yanks (except Alex has never done this in October), but haven't had many consistently good years since arriving. Only 2005 could be Alex', but he still had that awful GIDP against Anaheim with Jeter on 1B.

In the past, he's seen some psychologist or other mental health professional. Whatever it is, he needs to start getting some nice hits when the score is low and we could use a few guys being driven in. For his atrocious salary, we shouldn't even be having this discussion, as he should be one of the most feared hitters in all of baseball, not a guy who's a likely strikeout or GIDP victim.
    Last edited by Mattingly; 06-11-2006, 11:12 AM.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyStarks
      I absolutely LOVE Jeter in the 3 hole this season!
      The guy has just been at his best! I really think he's having his best season!!

Also that L,S,R,L will present problems for MGRs who try to match R's on R's and L's on L's.

Jeter could absolutely hit in any of the Top 3 spots.
      Today, it's Damon-Jeter-Rodriguez-Posada. Not ideal, but Gambi's bruised up also.

I think that Melky should hold his own in the 2-hole. Right now, A-Rod shouldn't be batting 3rd to me. I couldn't care less about the "hitting in the 1st inning" thing. To me, his discipline has laxed off, so he should see more pitches. I think that Alex should have his feet cemented into the 5-spot, and if he's still stinking up the joint, I'd put him 9th until him and his shrink finally got the message. Heck, even in Interleague at an NL park, I'd still bat him 9th after the pitcher, just to rub it in.

Right now, at his salary, I'm not too enthused about excuses. To me, it's either put up the numbers when we really need 'em, or donate quite a huge chunk of that change to respectful charitable organizations.
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Here's another one on the DL

A day after taking a "double whacking" on his left hand and wrist, Yankees first baseman Jason Giambi was out of the starting lineup that faced the A's at Yankee Stadium on Sunday.
        Manager Joe Torre said he hopes Giambi can return to the lineup when the Yankees open a three-game home series against Cleveland on Tuesday night, but would not commit to that emphatically.

Giambi iced his wrist and index finger to keep the swelling down on Sunday, but Torre said there is still some "puffiness."

While X-rays of Giambi's fingers and wrist were negative after the first baseman got hit on the wrist by a hard hopper and then hit hard by a pitch to the left index finger in the same inning, Torre said he was uncertain if the infielder will need more tests.

Giambi had his fingers wrapped with tape before heading into a closed-door player meeting in the trainer's room, but did not come into the clubhouse to comment on the injury.

Giambi was one of the few Yankees hitting well in the Oakland series. The slugger had home runs in each of the past two games, a three-run shot after a rain delay on Friday and a solo shot on Saturday.

"It's probably worse today than it was yesterday because when the adrenaline is going you don't really feel it," Torre said, referring to Giambi's hand. "When he left yesterday, he probably could have grabbed a bat and still hit."

Andy Phillips replaced Giambi in the starting lineup, hitting seventh on Sunday. He was 0-for-1 in Saturday's pinch-hit at-bat, his first chance at the plate since Tuesday against the Red Sox. Before that, Phillips had three home runs in five

Comment

• I don't think that the Yanks could have expected much more out of Chacon today, this being his first game back from the injury. He kept them in the game. Unfortunately, the Yanks gave away too many runs today.

That "inside the park home run" (which should have been scored a four base error) was hard to watch. The Yanks should have had Swisher out twice on that play: once in the field, and once at the plate. Damon was going to catch the ball, but that couldn't be helped. What I didn't get was Posada's inability to block the plate. He was set up about two feet behind the plate, which not only caused him to catch the ball late, but allowed Swisher to get his foot in under the tag. The throw definitely beat him there. Then, there was the sixth inning run, which was set up by ARod's throwing error, allowing Chavez to go to third. (As an aside, someone needs to spend some time with Phillips teaching him how to scoop a poor throw at first. While he's a better pure fielder than Giambi, I have to believe that Giambi at least stops ARod's bad throw.) Chavez later scored on what should have been a DP, when Proctor nearly threw the ball into left field. Despite medicore pitching and almost no hitting (except for Cano), the Yanks still could have won this game if it weren't for the sloppy play in the field.

Another disturbing trend is starting to re-emerge: the quick inning after the opposing team scores. The Yanks went 1-2-3 in the both the bottom of the 3rd and the bottom of the 4th - innings in which the A's scored. In the 4th inning, the Yanks saw something like seven pitches. I think that Swisher's "home run" took the wind out of the Yank's sails. A long inning would have helped. However, they found themselves right back out in the field, and the A's scored another two runs.

Comment

• Chacon pitched longer than he should have, though SDBF makes the point that fielding more than pitching did them in. That Chacon wasn't pulled earlier probably indicates that Torre doesn't want to go to the well unless he has no choice. But the line shows that the relievers in fact did a good job, on the whole, and Mo's ERA is now below 2.0, where it belongs. I'm wondering if Farnsworth, whom I like, is being used too late in the game -- a guy with a 4+ ERA is not whom you really want to see trying to hold the game. As for A-rod -- he's 4/28 this month (.143) and it may be affecting his fielding. His play just seems uninspired, especially at the plate, and it's certainly uninspiring. Moving him down the order might take off some pressure and should not be an ego issue. If it works, he might even come to bat with more men on base. But backing way up and taking the longer view, an awful lot of teams would love to have a lineup that includes Damon, Cano, Jeter, Giambi and Posada (hitting way over his head) in any order, even with a struggling A-rod thrown in. And on Sheffield: Really like Matt's observation about the stiff arm. I hadn't made the connection, just thought that was his style, though I've never liked that way of catching by anyone. If the Yanks can stay within a couple of games of first, and hold off Toronto, until the walking wounded get back into the lineup (they might have to fight to get there), we could have an exciting September.

Comment

• Originally posted by sandlot
              Chacon pitched longer than he should have, though SDBF makes the point that fielding more than pitching did them in. That Chacon wasn't pulled earlier probably indicates that Torre doesn't want to go to the well unless he has no choice. But the line shows that the relievers in fact did a good job, on the whole, and Mo's ERA is now below 2.0, where it belongs. I'm wondering if Farnsworth, whom I like, is being used too late in the game -- a guy with a 4+ ERA is not whom you really want to see trying to hold the game. As for A-rod -- he's 4/28 this month (.143) and it may be affecting his fielding. His play just seems uninspired, especially at the plate, and it's certainly uninspiring. Moving him down the order might take off some pressure and should not be an ego issue. If it works, he might even come to bat with more men on base. But backing way up and taking the longer view, an awful lot of teams would love to have a lineup that includes Damon, Cano, Jeter, Giambi and Posada (hitting way over his head) in any order, even with a struggling A-rod thrown in. And on Sheffield: Really like Matt's observation about the stiff arm. I hadn't made the connection, just thought that was his style, though I've never liked that way of catching by anyone. If the Yanks can stay within a couple of games of first, and hold off Toronto, until the walking wounded get back into the lineup (they might have to fight to get there), we could have an exciting September.
              I was thinking the same thing about A-Rod. He was hitting much better when he wasn't batting cleanup. It's like Torre doesn't pickup on patterns and stubbornly sticks to something. I think A-Rod and Giambi should be switched in the order, with Giambi batting cleanup.

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleX
                I was thinking the same thing about A-Rod. He was hitting much better when he wasn't batting cleanup. It's like Torre doesn't pickup on patterns and stubbornly sticks to something. I think A-Rod and Giambi should be switched in the order, with Giambi batting cleanup.
                The thing is, Torre has cemented A-Rod at 3B, but has put Cairo at SS. To me, that makes no sense, as SS is the more critical position, and who's the best SS in the MLB?

I think that regardless of who's playing and who's out, Alex should be in the 5-6 spots. I'd put Damon, Cabrera, Jeter, Posada as the 1-4, then put Alex at #5. I couldn't care less that Posada is molasses on the basepaths, he can still hit a double and score from 2B. Alex needs some production out there. It's getting crazy.

It's been 4 straight losses. I'm starting to hope for a Red Sox loss more than I am for a Yankee win. We should be rooting for our team, not just for Boston's opponents helping us out. We can hope to not lose ground because they lost also. We've gotta start winning.

If Wright and Chacon stay away from the better teams, I think they can come around. It's Randy that has me clueless.

Cleveland visits for a 3-gamer, then onto Interleague this Friday, beginning at RFK Stadium and revisiting our old pal Nick Johnson.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                  The thing is, Torre has cemented A-Rod at 3B, but has put Cairo at SS. To me, that makes no sense, as SS is the more critical position, and who's the best SS in the MLB.
                  ARod has a hard enough time playing 3rd as it is. Being swapped back and forth between short and 3rd while Jeter is recovering would only make things worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by SD Bomber Fan
                    ARod has a hard enough time playing 3rd as it is. Being swapped back and forth between short and 3rd while Jeter is recovering would only make things worse.
                    *whispers loudly, hopes nobody hears me*

So why the heck didn't Jeter just become the 3Bman the whole time and save us the trouble?

Whew, got that stinker off my chest.

Comment

• Originally posted by SD Bomber Fan
                      Agreed. For better or worse, A-Rod's position is third base now and we'll only see him at SS in dire circumstances.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                        *whispers loudly, hopes nobody hears me*

So why the heck didn't Jeter just become the 3Bman the whole time and save us the trouble?

Whew, got that stinker off my chest.
                        I think Jeter should have been the CFer!!!
                        He's the most Athletic Yankee and he's played SS.
                        He would make a great natural CFer....

But that would be too easy.
                        "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyStarks
                          I think Jeter should have been the CFer!!!
                          He's the most Athletic Yankee and he's played SS.
                          He would make a great natural CFer....

But that would be too easy.
                          Sorry, but you're probably the biggest MORON ever!

Everyone knows Rivera should play center!!!!!

(he probably could since he's so athletic - I remember there was jokes of this last season)
                          "It ain't over 'til it's over" - Yogi

Comment

• Originally posted by mikesty
                            Sorry, but you're probably the biggest MORON ever!

Everyone knows Rivera should play center!!!!!

(he probably could since he's so athletic - I remember there was jokes of this last season)
                            Are you being sarcastic in calling Tony a moron or did you say that because you think Jeter in CF is a bad idea?

I was very vocal starting last season that Jeter could be the answer in CF. Before Johnny Damon arrived, the way I saw it was that the team had a luxury in two tremendous shortstops. Jeter is great, but A-Rod might be the best SS of all-time and I really can't see him being any worst than 2nd behind Honus Wagner. So you play A-Rod at SS and move Jeter. But to where? And here are the reasons I came up with for why CF was the best choice (and not 3B).

1) Jeter's range to his glove-side is terrible and a 3Bman's range has to be to that side since there is not much room before you get to foul territory on the throwing-side.

2) It's much easier to find a decent veteran 3Bman to plug in for a few years then it is to find a good CFer. You can also get away more easily with a decent player at 3B than you can with just a decent player in CF. Yes, the Yanks got Damon, but they could have picked up Bill Mueller or Joe Randa or even swung a trade to bring Mike Lowell back before the Sox got him (since Florida was desperate to unload him). You plug a veteran in for a few years to bridge the gap to Eric Duncan who wouldn't have to move to 1B (that move might be why he's struggling in the minors at the plate). This solution would also be cheaper sicne a good CFer generally costs more than a good 3Bman.

3) Jeter's skill-set is very conducive to CF. He's quick. He has good instincts. He has a good arm. He goes back on popups just about as well as any SS ever. Robin Yount did it. Craig Biggio did it. Pete Rose did it (and played just about everywhere except catcher). I think Jeter is probably a better natural athlete than all these guys and he has that same desire to play hard and win.

4) The team would be stronger with A-Rod at SS where his value is maximized like no one else in the game, Jeter in CF, and someone like Bill Mueller or Mike Lowell playing 3B (again this is all before Johnny Damon arrived). To be honest, I almost see it as hurting the team and a waste to not have A-Rod at SS. This way A-Rod's at SS while Jeter is providing good production at another vital position.

5) Jeter is the man. To move Jeter in favor of A-Rod would be like kowtowing and acknowledging defeat, except if that move were to CF. Why? Because CF for the Yankees is one of the most famed positions in all of baseball. Combs, DiMaggio, Mantle, Murcer, Williams. It's a place of legends, and Jeter would fit right in. It's also a very important defensive and glamorous position in its own right, so it wouldn't seem as if Jeter was moving to a less-important position for A-Rod.

6) Jeter is thought of as the ultimate team player; his moving would be the ultimate team move. It would only enhance his place in Yankees lore if he were to graciouslly move to CF, to the place of Joe and Mickey and Bernie, for the good of the team, and succeed there.

Comment

1) Jeter's range to his glove-side is terrible and a 3Bman's range has to be to that side since there is not much room before you get to foul territory on the throwing-side.
                              DX - you must be kidding on this one. I don't think that I've ever seen someone with worse range to his glove side than ARod. In fact, the only time I've seen him make a play going to his left was yesterday, when he stepped in front of Cairo to make a bad play on a slow chop to the SS. Seriously - have you ever seen ARod go to his left to take a hit away from someone? I you have, it belongs in the archives. I've seen Jeter do it plenty of times.

I don't understand this crazy idea of moving Jeter to center. The same reasons that people give for moving ARod to SS over Jeter are the reasons the people use to move Jeter to CF instead of ARod. Unbelievable.

I have to make my statement again: Nothing that ARod has shown me in the last 2 1/2 years would make me believe that he is (or ever was) a better infielder than Jeter. He has a better arm and that's about it. He can't go to his left, he can't catch a pop fly, and he has trouble judging which hop to field. He leads the team in errors. I know that apologists will say that 3rd base isn't his natural position. But he's a professional baseball player, who has had 2 1/2 years to adjust to moving 50 feet to his right. There's no excuse at this stage. As I've said all along - he has a great arm that covers for a lot of mistakes. At SS, it was less obvious. He's exposed at 3rd.

Comment

Are you being sarcastic in calling Tony a moron or did you say that because you think Jeter in CF is a bad idea?
                                Sorry, I thought the big humiliating letters coupled with the absurd notion that Mariano Rivera should play CF as opposed to Jeter indicated blatant sarcasm.
                                "It ain't over 'til it's over" - Yogi

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X