The Season: 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alright.

How about Robbie Cano's big swing last night? That turned out to be the difference, huh? IIRC, he had another home run just a few days ago. Previously he was in quite a drought. I know he's hitting for average, but I've been a little dissapointed (i don't think that's the right word, I'm really not upset at him), maybe confused or something that he hasn't been smacking the ball around more. I expected his average to be lower and his slugging totals to be up more.
    "It ain't over 'til it's over" - Yogi

Comment

• I'll credit Chien-Ming Wang, Robinson Cano and Mariano Rivera primarily for that Yankee win last night. Interestingly, all are from the farm.
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

• Me too, but the bullpen did their job too!!!

Comment

• These guys play at a level the rest of us can't even really dream of. They're like fighter pilots and brain surgeons -- they work on great skill and supreme confidence. But if that confidence falters, even a little, the ball's off the wrist instead of in the pocket, or they're hitting weak popups instead of line drives. Injuries happen: Matsui was going through a tough patch when he broke the wrist -- an accident maybe less likely to happen if the guy's in a groove. Point is, for players like A-rod, the difference between success and failure is incredibly minute. Matt's right: He needs to be sat down, not as punishment, but as recognition that sometimes, even for the very best, enough is enough. Drop him in the order, or bench him altogether for a couple of games, and let someone else take the pressure for awhile. Maybe they'll step up. Torre's a guy who doesn't like to have a lot of pieces moving on the board at one time, so he reduces the variables by installing constants -- A-rod, Proctor, Sturtze, it's a long list. But he's reducing decision-making by increasing wear-and-tear.

Comment

• Originally posted by SD Bomber Fan
            This isn't quite accurate. I stated last week that I was absolutely wrong about Phillips. However, I have yet to see you admit any such thing about ARod. This stuff is just my opinion. Please try not to take it so personally.
            You haven't done anything to prompt me to admit that I'm wrong about A-Rod. Your argument is that Jeter is a better SS because of what you've observed at A-Rod playing 3B. That's ridiculous. And the only statistical support you offer is what A-Rod has done this year in terms of errors. Try looking at what each player as actually done at SS. Visually, I'm telling you, A-Rod looked like a better SS when he played SS. Statistically, it isn't even close. The only thing you've shown is that A-Rod has had a poor season defensively at 3B, and that has little bearing on how A-Rod compares to Jeter as a SS for their careers.

Originally posted by SD Bomber Fan
            That would be great, except for the fact that there's a little thing called "FIELDING PERCENTAGE" which takes into account the number of ERRORS per CHANCE. ARod's is .941. Jeter's is .971. Make whatever excuses you want for ARod, but it is what it is.
            And how exactly does that prove that A-Rod is a lesser SS than Jeter? They are playing different positions! Compare what the two have actually done at SS. At SS A-Rod has a higher fielding percentage than Jeter, despite the fact that his much better range allows him to make many more plays than Jeter and thus increase the chance for errors. Why else do you think Ozzie Smith's FP is just 0.978 or Luis Aparicio's just 0.972? These are arguably the two greatest defensive shortstops ever. But their fielding percentages are depressed and belie their skills because their skills allowed them to make more plays and more difficult plays, and thus increased the chance for errors.
            Last edited by DoubleX; 06-14-2006, 06:58 PM.

Comment

• I think we need more talk about Robinson Cano here. The guy's batting .328 now and he's only 24!!! He could stand to take more walks, but he's terrific at making contact and as he gains more experience, more of the outs should turn into hits. We really could have a bonafide hitter here.

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleX
                I think we need more talk about Robinson Cano here. The guy's batting .328 now and he's only 24!!! He could stand to take more walks, but he's terrific at making contact and as he gains more experience, more of the outs should turn into hits. We really could have a bonafide hitter here.
                We really do. He has been pretty under-the-radar so far this season and I like the way he's turning out. Definately a better BB/K ratio but hey, .328 is alright. His clutch isn't horrible either - everyone remembers the big base clearing double against Anaheim last year!

Comment

That would be great, except for the fact that there's a little thing called "FIELDING PERCENTAGE" which takes into account the number of ERRORS per CHANCE. ARod's is .941. Jeter's is .971. Make whatever excuses you want for ARod, but it is what it is.
                  Dude...you act just like a reporter.

I give you tons of facts....and you do 2 things: 1)Don't even acknowledge data I provide you or 2)You find another subject to pick on.

What about all the other numbers that I've shown you!?!?

And on that subject of FP? Why didn't you post ARod's career FP as a SS? Or Jeter's for that matter?
                  Here...maybe you forgot to post it, so I'll help ya out:

Here are there careers numbers as SS only!
                  ARod= .977
                  Jeter= .975

I think I'm done with this argument. It's useless or whats your next thing to pick on?
                  Your going to keep hating on ARod and making crazy acusations and provide nothing but crazed rants even in the face of obvious facts.

Originally posted by Mattingly
                  Fielding percentage? I think I'd once checked and Johnny Bench had about the same as Mike Piazza. What was A-Rod's FP in Seattle and Texas?

If A-Rod turns it around, then what happens to your posts?
                  Nothing happens....he'll just go away.....until ARod makes his next error....then he'll be back here ranting about it.

------
                  ------

Any ways...how about that Robi Cano and Andy Phillips today?
                  Last edited by TonyStarks; 06-15-2006, 12:42 AM.
                  "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• And how about that over-the-hill pitcher? When he takes the mound these, you don't know which Randy you're going to get, but when it's this one, he's fun to watch. I think getting tossed was good, for him and for the team. After a bad run, sometimes a little spark can light a fire. For all the grousing about him, from me included, he's somehow still tied with Mussina for wins. As for Damon: I'm liking this guy more and more. He seems to fit really well. And A-rod is hitting 5th.

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyStarks
                      Nothing happens....he'll just go away.....until ARod makes his next error....then he'll be back here ranting about it.
                      I've got my criticisms of Alex Rodriguez also, but I try not to ignore others' arguments. It's been said that when a team wins often, their fan base gets spoiled, since they're looking down upon others from a very lofty perch. Since we're used to getting A-List players annually, as well as making the playoffs every year, I can see our perspective being very different from teams that may have only a few superstars, and cannot afford to have any of their big names sit on the DL, much less be in 1st place (even if by only 1 game).

I can understand how Yankee fans want to win always, and expect greater contributions from the higher paid players, such as Rodriguez, Jeter, Giambi, Johnson and Mussina, but as we've seen over the years, each and every one of them have failed us at critical moments. In fact, Giambi was left off the 2004 playoff roster, per his poor hitting at such a critical time.

I've heard posts on another board that 4 of our guys fail, but only 1 gets booed. Carrying a team is one thing, but at times, Alex is the only one blamed for a loss. In yesterday's game, he went 1-for-4, but in the 4th, he got an RBI on an E3 (1Bman's error), which plated Jeter. In the 6th, after he'd singled and Posada walked, Bernie's ground rule double plated Alex. To me, that 1-for-4 didn't tell the whole story, so Alex is slowly turning things around. It's his .277 BA that's bothering me, but I'll be patient.

In the meanwhile, the boo-birds are in full effect, and ye ole Bronx cheer is getting louder as we post: Slumping Rodriguez hears jeers.
                      Any ways...how about that Robi Cano and Andy Phillips today?
                      Cano's 3 hits definitely impressed me. I don't think we could possibly ask for more from such a young player. Good thing he's from our farm, rather than getting endless vets for our own farm guys.

Still, you're not alone in your praise of Robi: Robinson is Yankees' rock

Here's a few things on Unit's ejection, after Posada was plunked (punked?) in the numbers on his back:

NY Times: Johnson Hits Eject Button, but Yankees Don't Mind

NY Post: HARDBALL ... AT LAST!
                      RANDY STANDS TALL FOR MATES

Newsday: Johnson delivers inside & out
                      Unit tossed but shows flashes of old and earns respect of teammates

Meanwhile, Posada's status uncertain
                      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                        I've got my criticisms of Alex Rodriguez also, but I try not to ignore others' arguments. It's been said that when a team wins often, their fan base gets spoiled, since they're looking down upon others from a very lofty perch. Since we're used to getting A-List players annually, as well as making the playoffs every year, I can see our perspective being very different from teams that may have only a few superstars, and cannot afford to have any of their big names sit on the DL, much less be in 1st place (even if by only 1 game).

I can understand how Yankee fans want to win always, and expect greater contributions from the higher paid players, such as Rodriguez, Jeter, Giambi, Johnson and Mussina, but as we've seen over the years, each and every one of them have failed us at critical moments. In fact, Giambi was left off the 2004 playoff roster, per his poor hitting at such a critical time.

I've heard posts on another board that 4 of our guys fail, but only 1 gets booed. Carrying a team is one thing, but at times, Alex is the only one blamed for a loss. In yesterday's game, he went 1-for-4, but in the 4th, he got an RBI on an E3 (1Bman's error), which plated Jeter. In the 6th, after he'd singled and Posada walked, Bernie's ground rule double plated Alex. To me, that 1-for-4 didn't tell the whole story, so Alex is slowly turning things around. It's his .277 BA that's bothering me, but I'll be patient.

I hear you man...but numbers are put up to dispute someone's 'claim' and then they are just disregarded and never mentioned...they move onto the next thing to nit pick.

Let's be reasonable here. I don't think ARod wants to stink up the joint, he demands more from himself than fans do. Has anyone forgot that ARod is just getting back from a stomache virus? No one thinks this could have affected his play recently? I mean the guy was out for 2-3 days straight and that was the first time he's ever missed consecutives games!
                        "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

I hear you man...but numbers are put up to dispute someone's 'claim' and then they are just disregarded and never mentioned...they move onto the next thing to nit pick.

Let's be reasonable here. I don't think ARod wants to stink up the joint, he demands more from himself than fans do. Has anyone forgot that ARod is just getting back from a stomache virus? No one thinks this could have affected his play recently? I mean the guy was out for 2-3 days straight and that was the first time he's ever missed consecutives games!
                          Likely he and Giambi ate a very bad meal. Perhaps something exotic that their eyes liked, perhaps their taste buds, but not their stomach.

I'm sure he's seen a good doctor, but a few days visiting the mattress could help in more ways than one.

Comment

Your going to keep hating on ARod and making crazy acusations and provide nothing but crazed rants even in the face of obvious facts.

Dude, you need to relax. It's only a game. These are only my opinions. This isn't life or death stuff. Again...relax.

This starting pitching staff has me confused. Each one of the starters is capable of pitching a great game. Conversely, they can all get hammered. Without a doubt, Moose is the ace of the staff this year, but he still has his off days. Even when he has his good stuff, he seems to throw too many pitches, and ends up getting taken out of the game too early. I don't think that our pen would be that bad if the starters would give them some innings, and allow them to rest a bit.
                            Last edited by SD Bomber Fan; 06-15-2006, 07:32 PM.

Comment

I don't think that our pen would be that bad if the starters would give them some innings, and allow them to rest a bit.
                              Amen to that! One of Torre's flaws, IMO, throughout his entire tenure with the team is that he micromanages the pitching staff and over burdens his relievers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly
                                Likely he and Giambi ate a very bad meal. Perhaps something exotic that their eyes liked, perhaps their taste buds, but not their stomach. I'm sure he's seen a good doctor, but a few days visiting the mattress could help in more ways than one.
                                I'm sure the teams provide the best food they can and there are top nutritionists, etc., but if it were me and I had the power, I'd get rid of any buffet table in the clubhouse and tell my players never to eat at any buffet, anywhere, no matter how tempting or expensive. I love great buffets, but they are microbial plantations. And if one guy coughs on the pasta salad, you're risking an epidemic. Ain't worth it.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X